“The nicest place to wake up on your birthday!”

Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel
Ranked #275 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

So it's true that the rooms here are quite sparse and minimalist, and you don't walk in and immediately say 'wow'. But it's all in the detail...

Stayed here to attend a show at the o2 (ideally located for this, only one tube stop away) and it was also my 30th birthday. The room has so many luxurious touches: a huge and extremely comfortable bed (NOT two singles pushed together); fluffy bathrobes; l'occitane bath products; a huge bath and separate shower; a spacious bathroom full of huge mirrors and good lighting; a free shoe cleaning service and a docking station for your iPod. So whilst it's not the most 'wow' room I stayed in, it's certainly the most comfortable. We felt well looked after - treats like glasses of prosecco and mini lemon meringue pies were brought to our room, and I love the turn down service. Why peel back your own bed covers when someone else can do it for you?

On my birthday we had breakfast in the room which was expensive but splendid and the price is comparable to other London hotels of this standard. Despite the fact that hash browns weren't on the menu they appeared on my plate by request. Even the toast was special - I'd love to know where it comes from. I had a fantastic facial in the River View Treatment Room, which literally feels like a hotel room itself, it's private and tucked away and you don't have to walk through reception with your sleep post-facial face. We were offered an umbrella by the door attendant 'just in case it started to rain.' I loved it and would go back in a second.

The best part was probably bumping into Arsene Wenger in the lift. Last time I stayed here Will.i.am was in the lobby. If it's good enough for the likes of them...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Louc77
Gosh – what a lovely review! Thank you for taking time to write about your birthday visit.

Needless to say, I am delighted that you enjoyed so many of the special touches in your room as well as the Prosecco and Lemon Meringue nibbles. It’s also wonderful that you enjoyed your breakfast in your room – always a treat! You mentioned the toast – we use bread from Frankonia and for the toast we selected Viennese White Thick Cut, Norfolk Crunch Brown Thick Cut and Multigrain Wholemeal. I am so delighted that you enjoyed it!

What better way to celebrate a birthday than with a little indulgence in the River View Treatment Suite – I am so pleased you enjoyed some R&R.

I hope you will visit us again next time you are attending an event at the O2 Arena. You never know who you might meet in the hotel next time….

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I send you my warmest wishes from the Wharf

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed for one night for my husband's birthday and to attend an event at the O2 arena and the service really was the best I've recieved in a long time. Our car was taken care of and we were checked in by a friendly and efficient receptionist, our room was lovely/comfortable and the room service we ordered was reasonably priced and delivered promptly. To make things more special the hotel organised a cake and some other extras for my husband's birthday. Would definitely reccommend this hotel and hope to stay again sometime.

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms are great!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear TravellingSarah82
I am delighted that you chose to stay with us before the event at the O2 Arena, and it’s wonderful news that you enjoyed your visit.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the service, and I’m glad you enjoyed the birthday cake – our pastry chef loves to put some tasty goodies in guest rooms, especially for special occasions!

The O2 has some fabulous acts lined up for the future, so I very much hope that you’ll visit us again next time you have tickets. If you went on the tube last time, you may wish to try going by boat next time. The pier’s right outside the hotel, and it’s a beautiful boat ride past Greenwich to the O2.

Thank you again for writing about us, and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Recently we have stayed at this Hotel and what initially started as small hiccup it ended as the most enjoyable stay in London. When we arrived we had a minor issue with our a/c unit and the room was too warm. When we inform Reception, the Hotel Assistant Manager Mr. Nelio Afonso, immediately took good care of us, with amazing care, friendliness and efficiency, not only he provided us with an alternative room on a higher floor with a lovely view of the river, but was kind enough to surprise us with a bottle of Italian wine inside the room, what a weekend memory he gave us, truly a Four Seasons Ambassador!! Thank you Mr. Afonso, we will see you again, for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Rahis
Wow – thank you so much for your very kind comments about Nelio! He was absolutely thrilled this morning when he read your review and learned that you enjoyed your visit after he helped you and your family to settle into your room.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. You made Nelio’s day, and it’s such a wonderful motivator for the team who take great pride in doing all possible to create special experiences for our guests.

I very much hope that you will return to stay with us again soon, and in the meantime I wish you a wonderful week ahead.

Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is ideally placed for Canary Wharf and has great views of the Thames as well as easy acces to the ferry. I enjoyed my stay there, but a couple of things niggled me: the breakfast is expensive, but the buffet meagre; my safe wouldn't open and it took staff an hour to sort out, even though I was in a hurry; I tried to book a massage, only to be told they were no free slots, but then half an hour later I was given a booking. Perhaps you could call that good service, but it'd be better to know on asking. Taxis are also difficult to get. Would I stay there again? Yes, but don't expect 5 star service.

• Stayed: September 2012
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear David011158
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your visit.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, but as you mentioned, there were some niggles, and I absolutely agree that this was not the perfect experience that our guests normally enjoy.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in order that we can redeem ourselves. In this respect, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. You will be assured of my personal attention and commitment to showing you the true experience that you would expect from Four Seasons.

Thank you again, and I look forward to meeting you in person on your next visit to London.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at the weekend on a pillow talk package which included a 3pm checkout but the reservation confirmation said 12 noon, so I had to email twice to confirm 3pm. When we arrived, the registration form also said 12 noon - I know it's minor but when you're not used to posh london hotels, having to check things isn't helpful. we were meant to have martinis in the room on arrival, but had to ring room service to get those, however when they arrived, they were delicious.

Not impressed that tea making facilities are only available on request and then you only get two normal tea bags and 4milks - enough for 2 cups of tea.

Bed was lovely and comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. We had a canary wharf view and if I went back i would pay extra for river view.

Canary wharf is a much more interesting place to visit than I expected and the riverboat is a great way to get round.

We visited the virgin active centre with the infinity pool - well worth a visit as great way to relax after a day of shopping.

Room Tip: pay extra for river view.

Dear eve-boots
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on the Pillow Talk package, and I am delighted that you enjoyed the Canary Riverside area and the boat services.

I am sorry that the 3pm check-out time was not on your confirmations or your registration card – these details should have been correct for you and I will follow-up to see how we can improve our systems for this. I am glad that you enjoyed the martinis. We normally like to keep these as fresh as possible and deliver them as soon as possible after arrival. It is a pity about the delay, although I am very pleased that you enjoyed them.

I see that you enjoy tea facilities in your room, and we will be delighted to have these in your room for future stays. As I don’t know who you are at the moment, all you need to do is let me (or one of my colleagues) know when you book and we will have this ready for you.

Needless to say, I very much hope that you will stay with us again next time you wish to enjoy the shopping and Virgin Active facilities. I would be very happy to personally oversee your arrangements to ensure a wonderful visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The room was dusty as I could see the dust flying about as I was applying make-up every morning. I felt that I had received a satisfactory level of service from the English staff. However, the Eastern European staff did not seem very keen to serve me on whether I had problems connecting on the Internet or when I left my key with the reception to go out. When I returned to the hotel, I had to be escorted up to my room and even after I identified myself, I had to produce my passport. I felt like an illegal immigrant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Migrating_North
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Migrating_North
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

I am very sorry that we were not as helpful as we could have been when you were having difficulty connecting to the internet. This is such a pity and I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

With regard to your room key, we are very conscious of the safety of all our guests and in this respect we always ask for identification before letting anybody into a guest room, especially if they are not in possession of a key for the room that they wish to enter. This security measure is designed to give all of our guests peace of mind, and I apologise that it felt awkward for you.

If you have any plans to travel to London in the future, I very much hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and you are very welcome to contact me directly in order that I can oversee your arrangements.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us. Your feedback helps us to understand how we can continue to make improvements.

Kind regards
Michael Purtill

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This surely is a nice hotel and the service is very good. That said I felt though that it was not in line with other four seasons hotels i have stayed so far, as it was missing the wow factor for me. I also was not entirely satisfied with housekeeping, i.e. i would expect that when the room is done that also dirty glasses would be removed replaced with new ones.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank hase1
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Hase1
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Canary Riverside.

I am pleased that you liked the hotel and enjoyed the service, but I was sorry to learn that we did not remove the glasses when we serviced your room. We slipped up with this and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you are London-based, so I very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, and in this respect please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order that I can personally oversee your arrangements. With regard to the wow factor, I would very much welcome the opportunity to surpass your expectations next time!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Michael Purtill