“Nice Hotel, but a bit scruffy.....”

Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel
Ranked #239 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We decided to stay here for a weekend break. We were met upon arrival, by the doorman, who was very friendly, polite & professional. Check-in staff, again were very helpful and polite. We stayed in room 509, the room was spacious, if a little masculine and tired in decor, the bathroom was perfect, separate shower and a lovely deep bath tub.
The staff in the hotel are wonderful, just what you expect from a Four Seasons.
The hotel, is looking very scruffy, dirty carpets and all the 'wood' is chipped and marked, the windows were dirty in the restaurant areas, marble floors had black marks over them. Sadly, the hotel is not being maintained very well. When you stand at the Concierge Desk, you can see the Wood, is so badly damaged in places. It looks like Laminate, hence thats why its not worn very well.
The valance on the bed in our room, was so badly marked, picture is being attached. It really shouldnt be on the bed. Attention to detail is lacking here. The carpets in the room, also looked marked and dirty in places. The mattress on the bed, sloped to one side, so also needs replacing. The pillows and bed linen, however, are lovely, as you would expect from this Hotel Group.
We liked the location, and enjoyed The Thames Clipper in and out of central London.

We think the hotel needs to be maintained to a much higher standard, as it is very scruffy and its a shame, as the Staff are wonderful, best thing about the hotel.

Room Tip: Book a Thames view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear SWIFTYS
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent weekend break.

The team will be delighted to know that you enjoyed the service – you are very kind to say that you found everyone to be helpful, friendly and professional.

I appreciate your comments regarding some aspects of the decor. We are currently working on plans for improvements to the hotel that will address some of the points you have mentioned, and you will be pleased to know that new mattresses are being installed in all rooms this week.

Do let me know next time you have plans to visit the area – I would be very happy to personally oversee all the arrangements for your reservation.

Thank you again, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Canary Riverside soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Service was outstanding from the doormen, concierge, front desk, housekeeping and restaurant staff. Although the hotel is located a bit away from the heart of London and the major tourist attractions, they are easily accessible by the Thames Clipper (right near the hotel) or by tube (short walk from the hotel). I will agree with some of the reviews about the rooms being good but not outstanding, an upgrade would make the hotel a home run. All in all, I was happy and would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear bee518
Thank you so much for such a lovely review.

It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay – the team will be delighted to read your very kind comments.

I see you are based in New York. Have you tried the BA flights between JFK and London City Airport (10 minutes from the hotel)? It’s a fabulous service and many of our guests from NYC enjoy the speed and convenience of this flight service…

Warm wishes for a sunny summer ahead.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've stayed here before on business and I must say that staying again matched the same standard as before.
My room was spacious and clean. Extremely comfortable bed and staff were very helpful and friendly.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Ashaki V
Thank you for returning to stay with us again.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and it’s wonderful that you found the team to be helpful and friendly. I hope your trip wasn’t all business – there’s so many fun experiences in London eastside which I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy too!

I look forward to meeting you on future visits.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

The staff were polite and gave us a complimentary cake for our anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Hi Styli6726
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your anniversary.

I’m glad you enjoyed the cake (we had lots of fun tasting the Pastry Chef’s new recipes!), and I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to Canary Riverside before your next anniversary :-)

Warmest wishes for a wonderful summer ahead.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Very nice stay at the four seasons hotel. I will be back sometime this year

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Hi dagod00
I love your review!

You enjoyed your stay and you’ll be coming back - wonderful words that every hotelier loves to hear. Thank you!

I wish you a great summer ahead and I look forward to seeing you later in the year.

Warmest wishes from the Wharf

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the Four Seasons Canary Wharf for a conference and found everything about this hotel just superlative. My room was huge and with the most amazing views of the Thames that I have ever seen in London. The staff was superb in every aspect, and the business facilities excellent for our needs. It may be a bit out of the tourist destinations, but it is in the best location within the business district, and in London public transportation is extremely good anyways. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear AugustoPellegrini
Thank you so much for your lovely review!

It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Now that you’ve experienced us for a conference, perhaps next time you might consider a leisure break with friends and family. There is so much to do here, and the weekends are buzzing with activity, both here at riverside and also around the vibrant and dynamic Shoreditch, Hoxton, Spitalfields and Brick Lane areas too!

Thank you again, and I very much hope to meet you in person next time.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

A little surprisingly as it doesn't feel like a Four Seasons inside.

Location is a little far from the main part of Canary Wharf and you are warmly welcomed. I stayed over a weekend and the bar was full of teens getting drinks in before an evening out (they left by 7pm).

The room was rather disappointing and not what one would expect from a Four Seasons. It felt a bit like a thee star hotel. The view from the room was a good one, overlooking the Thames but the interior left a lot to be desired. Everything was comfortable but not the lap of luxury that one expects from the Four Seasons. The bathroom was small and basic.

Would I return? Not at the Four Seasons price. Much better value at the Marriott. A real shame as I am very much a Four Seasons fan.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear TomAlexander_12
Thank you for writing about your recent visit to us here at Canary Wharf.

I am pleased to know that you were warmly welcomed, but I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the room. We have a wide variety of different rooms available, and I would be very happy to personally oversee your arrangements for any future visits in order that I can ensure you will have a room in which you can relax and enjoy a memorable experience.

Do feel free to contact me directly if you have any plans to visit the area again. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Kind regards