“Definitely recommend Four Seasons Canary Wharf”

Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel
Ranked #241 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in early November. We decided to stay a bit out of the way as we prefer quiet and low key at night and this hotel is perfect if that’s what you’re after. We used the transport service from Heathrow arranged by the hotel which is well worth the 90 GBP to be met within the airport and to have somebody help with your luggage. It was a long drive through London to get to Canary Wharf (over an hour), but maybe we were just anxious to get to the hotel after flying all night from America. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were met at the door and taken directly to our room – no waiting around the lobby for check-in, which was very nice. The view from our room was outstanding – the hotel is directly on the Thames and it's absolutely stunning at night. We found the property to be up to Four Seasons' standards. The service was just as you'd expect – everybody is very friendly and helpful. We took a Black Taxi Tour (londonblacktaxitours.com), with owner Michael Churchill, our first morning which I highly recommend. The Thames Clipper (river ferry) dock is just steps from the hotel so we used that to get to central London along with the Tube – both are very easy and the Tube station is only a ten-minute walk from the hotel. Either of them will have you in central London within 20 minutes, which includes the walk to the station. There are several restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel, and on weekday nights, they’re hopping with well-dressed business people. We did eat at the hotel restaurant each morning for breakfast which was very good and actually not too terribly expensive considering it’s a Four Seasons. We also ate dinner here one night. My husband and I both had the lobster risotto and it was delicious. Also, on Fridays, all of their wines are 50% off in the restaurant and lobby bar which makes it a great deal. The hotel is in the business district which is a very nice, clean, safe, hip area, but the surrounding area is a ghost town on the early weekend mornings – not even the Starbucks were open. There’s a coffee/pastry shop next door, but it doesn’t open until about 10 a.m. on the weekends. I would highly recommend the Four Seasons Canary Wharf if you’re looking for an upscale, quiet hotel a bit out of the city but within easy reach.

Room Tip: Definitely get a river view room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie A
Ian P, Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a TripAdvisor review.
We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guests and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

After a tiring journey we had the best check in I have ever experienced in the UK. The reception assistant was fantastic and personally showed us to our room. We had a lovely large room with king size bed and a good standard bathroom with a separate shower. The only down side was that breakfast was not included in the rate. We did not use any of the hotel's facilities but wished we had taken our swimwear as guests have complimentary use of the Virgin gym and pool.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 23, 2011

The hotel is very nice and perfect for a business traveller. I was there for two weeks and was intially assigned a room overlooking the City. I asked to be moved to a room with a better view and was accomodated in a room overlooking the Thames, which is lovely and really helps when you are somewhere long term. Housekeeping is excellent and the front desk staff was always helpful and friendly. When I asked for a coffee machine, they immendiately sent up an electric hot water pot and provided a selection of lovely teas and instant coffee. I loved the teas, but would have liked to have a proper coffeee pot, especially on the weekends. Overall, I recommend the hotel if you are staying on the Wharf.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Thames.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

The river facing rooms are exquisite and the views are just lovely. The service is fantastic. Being in the tourism industry I am often cynical about service and service excellence, but this hotel delivers of the highest standard of service. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: River facing rooms are the very best!

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We only stayed the one night but was very impressed with the hotel. The location is excellent with restaurants just around the corner if you wished to dine elsewhere. The Thames clipper is on the doorstep which is very convenient for sightseeing.
Staff very friendly and attentive the usual four seasons calibre.
Lovely view of the river from a large picture window in our room. Only one small gripe it would have been a nice touch if they provided tea/coffee making facilities in the room, however you can order complimentary tea/coffee to be brought up f you so wished. Overall great stay and we will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Definitely worth an upgrade to river view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I am in the hotel business and therefore I hope that my comments are taken on face value. The Four Seasons team is excellent in every department. Their attention to detail and personalized service is exemplary. The rooms were well equipped but not overtly fussy which I like. The finish of the rooms was good with no blemishes or cracks or damage of any kind.
The restaurant was consistently good on all days that I ate there and the only small criticism was that the buffet did require you to make your own toast, which is a personal no no for me.
But I would recommend this hotel anyone at anytime. Everything was excruciatingly good:)

Room Tip: Top floor facing the gherkin!

Reviewed November 15, 2011

There comes a point in hotel pricing where I feel you should expect all the usual service boxes to be ticked and look to special qualities in character, charm, luxury, setting and other essentially subjective areas as the return on your premium payment. The Four Seasons at Canary Wharf, a five star hotel ranked as an AA Inspector’s Choice ‘one of the best in UK’ is clearly just such an establishment.

I will return to the special qualities theme, but first, an unexpected box or two from which my tick had to be withheld. I was surprised by the absence of free items commonly offered in lower rated establishments, no complimentary water, or confectionary or biscuits or flowers in the room on arrival…although there was a Nespresso machine this was charged and there was no in-room kettle/tea/coffee which, rather bafflingly, had to be requested. Also odd was the juxtaposition of an extensive (and predictably expensive!) mini bar with ice bucket but no ice, which also had to be requested. My wife took exception, quite rightly, to the non inclusion of Wi Fi within the price which I had assumed would be part and parcel of a five star offer. Also, the charge of some £17 might be acceptable to an all expenses business user but way over the top for weekend leisure visitors. I was aware that breakfast was not included, but £25 a head for what appeared from the menu to be fairly standard stuff, rather excessive pricing I thought. My son was disappointed at being limited to only 2 hours a day in the morning for using the excellent pool and associated facilities; I can see why the hotel might feel that an extensive ban on all children is necessary for the assured comfort of the majority of their clients but nonetheless it was another negative for us.

We had a one bedroom suite on the 8th floor, well equipped, very spacious with very comfortable beds and a great shower, but the relatively small size of the half moon windows didn’t make the most of the river view and I was annoyed to find ourselves hermetically separated from the outside world. I feel the default position should be hotel windows that open and guests advised up-front if they don’t. On the plus side, when we returned to the rooms from our evening out it was nice to be greeted with complimentary soft drinks, popcorn and sweets and all the staff were very attentive if somewhat over obsequious.

On the character/charm/special qualities… being at the heart of the docklands phenomena I wasn’t surprised to experience the hotel as overwhelmingly corporate, but it was corporate without any sense of place …no themes of dockland history, transformation, or celebration of the architecture of commerce and high finance. This was the corporate seeking to be neutral, trying not to offend anyone, but ending up as plain bland. This was corporate anywheresville… Canary Wharf or Cannery Row, I had the feeling it would make no difference – instantly forgettable pictures, room furniture for function not aesthetics, décor that was just, frankly, dull. An interior design aspiring to the mundane and amply expressed by a CD collection of dumbed down piano interpretations of Sinatra, Bacharach, Cole etc. a selection of easy listening musak so safe as to be positively inert, a box set you couldn’t give away in a month of car boot sales.

I am sure the Fours Seasons at Canary Wharf will know their market and provide well for it but from our visit it’s clear that a profile like ours is not really fitting with their target audience.

Room Tip: Avoid 8th floor if you want larger windows
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Dear LondonBigal

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Canary Wharf, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughtful and helpful comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the treats that we placed in your room for your family and that you found the team to be attentive. I was, however, very sorry to learn of your disappointment with several aspects of your stay. Needless to say, I would be happy to personally discuss this with you and you are very welcome to contact me directly. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and I apologise that on this occasion this was not the case.

We all hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on future occasions. In this respect, please do not hesitate to let me know, in order that I can personally oversee your arrangements.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble of providing us with your feedback.

Kind regards