“classy, comfortable, luxurious, full of character, yet not 100% for service”
Review of 11 Cadogan Gardens

11 Cadogan Gardens
Ranked #78 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Herts
“classy, comfortable, luxurious, full of character, yet not 100% for service”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed at No.11 with my husband for one night after a day trip on the Orient Express British Pullman. The whole purpose of staying in such an expensive hotel was to have a relaxing and luxurious time for a special occasion (my husbands 40th). It's very cosy, we loved the decor and our room (no 006) was very comfortable and VERY peaceful considering it was on the ground floor, and in central London. The room was described as a suite but was really just a reasonable sized room with a large enough table to eat a meal at, and a with very luxurious marble bathroom. The hotel advertises its spa facilities, but these are booked with outside therapists. We had booked a massage and reflexology treatment to finish off our day out and set the mood for a relaxing evening. The therapists arrived at the hotel dead on the time we had booked and we went down to the basement treatment rooms. My treatment room was fine but my husband said his was very basic with no music. Neither of the therapists were qualified to do reflexology so that was a big disappointment as it is my favourite spa treatment so I had to settle for a massage, not wanting to make a fuss and spoil the mood. The treatments were perfectly adequate but it was a real shame that I couldn't have the treatment I had booked.
We ordered breakfast in our room the next morning. First of all they had forgotten our newspaper, then when they brought the breakfast, had forgotten the fruit salad, and they brought about 20 slices of toast and only one tiny square of butter. Our final bugbear was that they had valet-parked our car for us when we arrived but when we checked out we were told no-one was available to collect our car and we had to walk to the car park (a totally separate, NCP-type carpark) which was a few minutes walk away. The total bill, for one night, breakfast, no evening meal but just one club sandwich, bottle of champagne, two spa treatments and car parking came to £800. And of course there was an extra charge on our bill for the breakfast which should not have been there, as it was included in our room tariff. This has happened to us in every posh hotel we have ever stayed in. My advice is - check the bill! I feel the whole experience was let down slightly by the service, from not booking the correct treatment, to having to get up 3 times during breakfast to let the waiter in, to having to collect the car from a car park some distance away. The hotel did not appear at all busy, we barely saw any other residents whilst there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coffeecreme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Slovak first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Agree with most of the reviews. Place is not at all as depicted on website. Room was freezing cold, toilet seat broken, everything felt dirty. Was with a group of 10. Luckily we found an alternative and only had to spend one night. I felt sorry for the staff, seemed very nice, they looked sad when we left.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Freak77
Every Where
Reviewed September 10, 2009

i am also looking for hotel as currently staying in '11 London' and it's been a nightmare since i checked in -
i have a large suite with VERY unusual decor - moose heads etc, it's VERY dark even with all the lights on. (i appreciate al this is personal choice)
the phone in the room doesn't work, i had to ask reception to give me a phone! (they said cause recent renovation it's still not installed correctly (why was i not informed of this before arriving!)
i had to ask housekeeping for light bulbs as the bedside lamps didn't work.
also, this morning i asked for 7.30am wake up call, they called me 7.50! and there was NO HOT WATER! they said 'we've a plumber working on it!!!!)
when they came to clean my room, it was VERY basic clean! (make bed and re-hang towels!!!)
then today, while working on my laptop a member of staff just came walking into my room (no knock or anything!)
he claimed to re-fil mini bar.
aaahhhhh! and i've not even had an apology so far! fyi i'm paying GBP600 per night!!!!!
do NOT stay here!! still so so so much teething problems!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank aceexec
Auckland
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I am glad I did not take on board the old clients reviews about the place and booked else where. But it is a same the hotel has and toned down some of there rooms.
We booked a suite and when we got into the room it was more like a Jr suite and very old english boring decor, no four poster bed, no heavy red curtians and candels, just not like the pictures and very small. I asked to be moved the manager was great and moved us to a very funky large suite.
You feel as though you are a gest in someones home, it is a quite hotel with dark wood everywhere, candles, mirrors and a great bar and tv room.
Our big problem was the lock on our door which did not work, they fixed it so we were told but we came back one evening to find our door wide open. Our things were still there but it could have been worse. My husband had to fix it infront of the staff himself.
I would not recommend this hotel to people with small children. Although when we return to London we will have our kids and go for a top floor suite if we decide to go back. they also have appartments with kitchens which could also be good.

Also don't think they will take your bags for you, you have to do it yourself

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cool31
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Not too bad, but I won't come back to it again, not for summer anyway..

If you do not mind the dark interiors, red sofa & whole place darted with candles and Gothic like lobby.... this might be the place you want to be. It is less than 2 mins walk from Sloane Sq, just behind Peter Jones... and minutes away from Kings Road. I was after location, but was a little bit put off with the stuffy rooms and interiors of it all. Not a place you want to be when heatwave has hit London, while Wimbledon is on and everyone wants to be outside. It has a tiny terrace with a black & white striped marquee... and black candles...

Waited very long for coffee or tea to be served on the Terrace. Strange way to serve ice tea - came in a jug and gave you no glasses but in bone china tea cups..

They have some very nice friendly members popping in for week day lunches... Solo travellers are OK here. You wouldn't feel too lonely...

Rooms are very expensive 295 GBP per night (and was told they already gave me a discount)
Hot water in bathroom took long long time to come... do not stay on the top floor.
Service: OK - 5/10
Concierge : 8/10
Food: 3/10 (better not eat breakfast there)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank rocket4rocket
virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Having been a long standing, happy customer at the old London Outpost of Bovey Castle, now closed and previously located around the corner, imagine my dissapointment when I checked in at 11 Cadogan. Another reviewer mentioned that that the decor reminded tham of a brothel..indeed, it could be seen that way. It is very heavily draped, dark woodwrok everywhere, trying to be trendy and nightclubby. Thankfully the common rooms are not the same decor as the guest rooms, which are much more conventionally done.
In the daylight you can see that the place needs a good scrubdown. I originally booked a single room at a fabulous rate, having heard great things about 11. But that was BEFORE the renovation and the new owner. After presenting my club card....which should have automatically signalled a complimentary upgrade, I was taken to the dungeon through twisting turns and stairscases, wondering if I'd ever get out should there be an emergency. The room I was presented had a dirty, poorly laid rug, droopy bed, a window that viewed the service mechanisms, a ten year old TV with no remote, and a positively skanky bathroom with a stand in plastic shower that I feared using! I sat and thought for a moment and decided to give them a chance to redeem themselves.
I rang the front desk and politely asked for a better room, reminding the staff about the upgrade. To my relief, I was provided with a nice comfortable room with full bath. This second room was closer to the level I had come to expect from SLH, Relais Chateaux, or other boutique type club hotels. I had an uneventful night with a great room service meal in the evening, prepared to my specifications. In the end, it was an OK stay, but the decor is not to everyone's taste, that's for sure. The location is tops, the neighbourhood safe for single women, and the staff is friendly, if not a bit slow on the uptake. There are a few kinks to be worked out, but the value is worth the minor snags. I did cancel my return booking and head to 22 Jermyn for the duration of my trip....I'll try them again next year. Maybe they'll have the kinks worked out by then.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank onehermesgirl
Millburn, NJ
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I read reviews here and other places but was won over, choosing this rather than another hotel, because of the fast reply (I had considered another hotel in South Kensington but was put off by being quoted a different rate on the web than the email).

At first I thought my single seemed small but it REALLY grew on me, and it was big enough! The walls were upholstered in toile, and I was under a mansard, so a cozy slant over the bed. The tiny bathroom was all done in marble, with a heated towel rack and a terry robe. Free wi-fi-- at first could not get it to work but then it did, and perfectly. every day the maid tidied up and then turned down the bed. Room service was prompt, food excellent.

Because I had so many meetings I only had one meal in the dining room, but the room is gorgeous, with white upholstered chairs, walls covered with black and white photos of celebs... Gorgeous public rooms, a library with purple and red chairs, a beautiful room to have tea in, a garden room with patio chairs, lovely tucked away public rooms everywhere. The elevator was the old fashioned kind with a gate and two doors, and staff was always rushing to open and close it, but the wooden stairs were also grand, with portraits everywhere and purple stairs. The gothicness, with the red velvet curtains and candles and velvet, REALLY appealed to me, as did the rush to make sure I was happy and pleased, eagerness to run an errand, post a letter, help me out.

I almost don't want to write this review because I dread everyone knowing about it and it becoming more expensive (what happened to Number Sixteen in South Kensington, once a sweet little find, now an expensive place...)

The food was nouvelle, tasteful, excellent. Everything was a cut ABOVE what I expected, and there was charm, atmosphere. Jo Malone products in the bathroom. A real find. I would stay there again without a doubt. The location can't be beat, too.

• Liked — The service and the lovely, interesting atmosphere
  • Disliked — Could have had more drawers/closet space
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank doctoraldame