“false advertising”
Review of 11 Cadogan Gardens

11 Cadogan Gardens
Ranked #86 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 30, 2008

checked in to 11 to find out that the rooms shown on the website don't actually exist, they show how it will look one day, not present day! the website also talk about how great their spa is but that's not built either. we checked out within 15 mins.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank tonyking

Reviewed August 17, 2008

One of the Harrod's doormen, in putting us in a taxi, said "Oh, that is a very nice addess". Which it is, just about a perfect location; one block from Sloane Square, ten minute walk from Knightsbridge. Since we never stayed at the "old" Number Eleven, we have nothing to compare our experience to. We found the lobby decor somewhere between avant-garde and over the top. But our room was outstanding, and the staff excellent and accomodating.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank winebuyer
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I have been going to Number 11 for 35 years and have always loved the very British interior. While a hotel, it gave you the impression you were in a home and the full cream teas were the best in London and the breakfast served to your room was piping hot and beautifully done. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Throughout the years the staff remained – a sign of very good hotel management (both staff and clients were happy).

I went back to Number 11 this weekend. I had been in December of last year and noticed they were doing redecoration – which is totally normal. However, what I found in returning was a VERY DIFFERENT HOTEL. The decoration was done more in modern haunted house – all the wood had been stripped and painted very black, the colours on the walls were deep purple and the curtains were in deep brocade red. The sitting room had a number of burning candles – which is normally such a nice touch but with the current decorations only made the hotel look more sinister. For the two days we were there, we saw none of the former staff members. The new staff, while very nice and accommodating, they did lack some of the professionalism one was used to at Number 11.

In checking out, I asked if the hotel had changed owners. The reply from the desk clerk (yes, now there is a hotel front desk!) was that it had been taken over by a new owner who had redecorated it. When I indicated that the old clientele might not appreciate the new, very dark, decoration, she responded that the new owner was looking to change the clientele. I suggested that they could have informed the old clients before coming of this decision. When I went downstairs to the dining room and looked at the pictures on the walls, I would not suggest you take children to the hotel.

Oh, one last thing, the price has also gone up. For one night stay (granted a family suite) cost us almost 1000 pounds sterling… Needless to say, they have lost at least one customer.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank AmyParis
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I have stayed at Eleven Cadogan Gardens on a regular basis for some twenty years. People reading these reviews should be aware that the hotel has a new owner who has changed it drastically. The last couple of times I was there, the place was a construction site. Charming old furniture has been discarded, much of the staff has left, and the decor has been altered completely. There is a reason that the only pictures of the hotel on this site are of the exterior of the building -- that is the only thing that has not changed. With regret, I have switched to another hotel in the same neighborhood as my "home from home" in London.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank CatherineNY
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Having stayed at No. 11 on a couple of occasions before and really enjoyed it, we were looking forward to a few days in this lovely part of London.

As soon as we stepped over the threshold though, we started getting worried. Whereas previously No. 11 had real old-fashioned charm and style, the entrance was now dark and unwelcoming, seemingly lit only by reflections off the gilt chandeliers and reproduction "boudoir" armchairs. The kind and welcoming porters in their white jackets have been replaced by staff dressed in an attempt at urban überchic - black shirts, black trousers. A quick glance into the drawing room revealed - oh horror of horros - a flat-screen TV hanging on the wall in a gilt frame.

Happily the decoration in the room had not been tampered with, but our room overlooked the inner shaft and echoed with the incessant throb of the kitchen ventilation. Interestingly, the new porter commented on this fact with a "Oh, it is noisy, no?".

Our next disappointment came the following morning when we went down for breakfast. Hitherto, the dining room was a light and inviting room. Now, the walls are over-filled with paparazzi-style photos and the new furniture was certainly no improvement over the old.

Sadly, the make-over has - in our opinion - taken the soul out of the hotel. Yes, the carpet in the entrance used to be a bit threadbare - but did the designer need to try and replicate the over-styled, over-gilt and utterly charmless places you find the world over? The very fact that No. 11 used to be so different from the faceless hotels you can find in any city was the essential part of its attraction.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank nettie1
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I just stayed at 11 Cadogan Gardens for a few nights while traveling in London. At first, I wasn't too happy about going to London given the weather. However after staying at this property, my whole experience on this trip changed.

The rooms are very well appointed, although a bit beaten. I had a fireplace in my room which was an amazing amenity to counter the damp London days. We faced a small park in the back off the street and enjoyed sitting in our room with the windows open taking in the fresh air.

The area is equally wonderful with many shops and cafes down by Kings Road. Cadogan Gardens itself is an amazing English Garden type of community in the heart of London. I would definitely stay here again and now look forward to going back to London.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I stayed at N11 last week end with my family and some relatives and we all enjoyed it very much. Chelsea is my preferred neighbourhood in London anyway, but this hotel is special since you feel like staying in a real English home. I like the building, the decoration, the linen, their breakfasts in classical English china, and the service. For sure I will go back.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family