“Let down by the small stuff”
Review of 11 Cadogan Gardens

11 Cadogan Gardens
Ranked #94 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Let down by the small stuff”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel has a great location, just behind Sloane Square, and on first impressions is full of opulent character. It does some things very well, in particular an extremely comfortable bed, friendly helpful staff and excellent porridge and full English breakfast. On the down side our room, a deluxe double, did not live up to expectations and was a little on the tired side, particularly the bathroom. Worse still, no tea/coffee making facilities are provided in the rooms, even when you've requested this on the hotel's preferences booking form which they send out prior to your arrival. Arriving at the hotel after a busy day in London and in need of a reviving cup of tea we were somewhat disappointed to find none available.
On the whole we enjoyed our stay at the hotel but sometimes it's the small things that count and that leave the most lasting impression.

2 Thank Tinnabeth
Soliman K, General Manager at 11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at No.11 Cadogan Gardens. I am happy to read that you found the team to be friendly and you enjoyed your breakfast with us in Tartufo. I am sorry to read that your accommodation did not live up to expectation. On this note I am happy to inform you that in early 2014, a program of cosmetic refurbishment will be carried out in all our rooms and suites. I have also personally addressed that the items requested did not make it into your room to ensure that this does not happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to No.11 Cadogan Gardens,

Soliman Khaddour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Slovak first
Toronto
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was excited to stay at this hotel and my first impression was pretty good. Common areas are gorgeous as other reviewers have pointed out.
Staff are very polite and professional. No issues there.
Elevator is at first charming but turned out to be a nuisance. There are some things that belong in a museum and not in a hotel.You're trying to go to the ground floor with heavy suitcases and the elevator is not working because someone is polishing the brass (just found out because someone went downstairs to check if the elevator was broken).
Room was a disappointment. I knew going in that it was an old building and I shouldn't expect the same comfort or space as a new hotel, but it just didn't feel like a 5-star hotel. Bathroom was ok, not terribly small but not spacious either. Bed was comfortable. TV was old and finicky. No minibar, not even a kettle to make tea.
Overall, the hotel was fine but one would like it if they were looking for character and not so much comfort. I understand why other reviewers liked it so much, but it just didn't do anything for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and you found the stay to be polite and professional. The team pride themselves on the high level of service that they provide and will be delighted to hear your feedback.

In response to your feedback regarding your room and the elevator, I am happy to write that since your stay with us we have finalized plans to upgrade all our rooms and the elevator in 2014. As the hotel is a listed building, we have encountered technical issues in finalizing this plan especially with the elevator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to No. 11 Cadogan Gardens.

Kind regards,

Milan, Italy
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for 5 nights and everything was impeccable.
The wifi works perfectly and the signal is strong pretty much everywhere around the hotel.
We had a room on the first floor, very comfortable, especially quite big compared to other London hotels. Bathroom not very big but very clean and we always had the vanity kit, shampoos, conditioners and other products refilled every day. The room service ladies were very nice and cordial, always ready to help for anything.
The room is also very quiet and the hotel location in general is very good because you are at 3 minutes from sloane square and the tube.

All the hotel staff was very nice and always ready to help and please us with any kind of request.

The only minor thing is that the hotel is very dark, maybe some extra lighting would add even more "stars" to the hotel.

Overall a really good stay and we would definitely return whenever we will visit London again!
Thanks to everyone who made our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank bettatantalo
Soliman K, General Manager at 11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review of No.11 Cadogan Gardens, I am glad that we have lived up to your expectations during your visit and I will ensure that I pass on your comments to the rest of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new London retreat very soon.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our stay here was an absolute treat. The room was very spacious and very glamorous. In addition there were many imtimate beautiful common areas that we made use of - a lovely bar, a drawing room with an open fire, different areas to choose from in the dining room. The staff were also fantastic - they couldn't help enough. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the special character that we have here at No.11 Cadogan Gardens.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The reason this review comes rather late is because I have been trying to find time to write something that does justice to this incredible hotel (not easy as a working mum of two)...

My husband and I are both owners of a luxury 5 star hotel in Bangkok, and we certainly know a gem when we find one. We stayed at No. 11 Cadogan Gardens during our 3 week trip to France & London during the dates of July 15th-18th.

We had originally booked anonymously via Agoda into a Junior Suite (excellent value for a large room for any capital city) but were so generously upgraded to the Sloane Suite by the GM, Soliman Khaddour, when he did his homework and found out who we were. I cannot thank him enough for his kindness.

The Sloane Suite is nothing less than having your own, ridiculously glam, spacious apartment smack in the centre of a very verdant, quiet nook of London! It is decorated in great taste, touches of black and gold kept light and bright with cream carpeting (we almost died when our kids knocked over my red wine, but housekeeping came right up and had it fresh as new!), plenty of antique black & white old photos of famous artists and stars, plump sofas to cuddle up on after days out walking and the most immense canopy bed which all four of us could comfortably sleep in even though the hotel had kindly set up 2 children's beds in the same room (with loads of space to spare).

Great antique closets, dressers, writing desk, lots of natural light and bay windows looking onto the green gated square. There was enough room for our kids to run about and play without tripping us or each other up even when doing rolley-poleys between the bedroom and the living room! There were also thoughtful touches of adding extra beds for the children, beautiful London story books, gorgeous cuddly toys and Ormonde Jayne bathroom amenities. Room service was delicious and reasonably priced. We loved that the bathroom with huge tub had double sinks and a separate toilet room with strong walk-in shower which doubled up as a guest loo. This suite is larger than any other hotel room we have ever stayed in before. It was such a luxury to feel completely at home, with everything we needed right there and at our doorstep.

The tube is walking distance as are plenty of central bus stops, eateries and a department store. The King's Road with all its shopping and dining is right there too! With small kids, it is so nice to have a proper home to return to on a long, overseas trip. We loved having breakfast every morning at our own table without needing to get dressed and being able to invite friends and family to come visit, play and relax. The décor and furnishings are exquisite, the whole property was divine, we enjoyed our little adventure with the kids exploring the hotel, they loved the staircase and the old lift and what a gem of a gym they have too! The air-conditioning worked quietly and was perfectly cool during the height of summer.

I only wish we had had more time, 3 days were too short. We will most definitely be back

I would also like to mention in particular a few members of staff who made our stay so wonderful:

Harry (butler studying for a Masters degree) - so erudite, approachable and could honestly double up as a top notch concierge for all our Qs & needs!
Fergus (not sure of name now...well-spoken, tall, young blonde British chap at front desk) - super helpful and warm, very professional
The lovely, multi-tasking room service ladies who ran up and downs the stairs to serve us breakfast and dinner, fetching this that and the other

The Deputy Concierge (we didn’t meet the head during our stay), think his name was Mike (?), very chatty and full of ideas.

The caring engineer who helped us ‘deactivate’ Rosie’s noisy Furby!!

Everyone was so helpful and friendly, without being intrusive on our privacy.

We are sure you will enjoy No. 11 Cadogan Gardens as much as we did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LotusRei
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay with us at No. 11 Cadogan Gardens. It was my pleasure to accommodate you and your family during your stay in London and I am glad you enjoyed your stay in he Sloane Suite alongside the special character of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had a great big room on the top floor of this old world hotel. It was very clean and comfortable with a view of the lovely park opposite. We dined on the first night in the basement restaurant and it was fantastic. I often have doubts about hotel dinners but this was world class food served with style. Upwards to the beautiful bar. The Italian barman claimed to make the world's best cocktails, but since I am a beer man I initially declined. After a little persuasion he suggested I try his Hemingway Daiquiri and I was hooked. Richie is brilliant as the hotel front man and his suggestions cannot be ignored. We will be back

Room Tip: Top floor was great