“Better find elsewhere”

Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill
Ranked #108 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 31/5-6/6, in room 820, and room is a bit small, but ample as it was a suite. Location is excellent, the park is at the front of the hotel where kids can go and play. My only complaint i have is the staff at the club lounge, from day 1, at breakfast, is i asked for hard boil eggs, and was told by staff that only eggs available are at the buffet. However, i overheard another patron asking another staff, for omelette, and the staff obliged. One guest heard my conversation with hubby about the staff who rejected our order earlier, and said the hotel has weird service at the club lounge. Anyway, i must say other staff at the lounge have been friendly and could take order of hard boil eggs, not a big issue at all. Today, again the same staff, again rejected my order for hard boil eggs, and even said as of today we charge. Funny coz she rejected the order on 1/6, and again on 6/6. It must be her own policy.

Overall, hotel stay is ok, could be better, with more friendly staff. We stayed at intercontinental london before and kids received welcome kit, but not at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
HyattRegencyLondon, General Manager at Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our excellent location. I am however saddened to hear about your experience in our Regency Club Lounge and I would like to say how much I regret that your stay was spoiled by this. This has been raised with the relevant Team so that this does not happen in the future. Thank you again and we do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming back you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is outstanding. The rooms, service and food exceeded our expectations. The Regency club was an excellent added choice we made and were very happy with all it provided. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Thank you to all staff at the Hyatt Churchill for making our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the Regency Club
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write in this way. I am very proud to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you describe us in your review as ‘100% highly recommended’. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our Hotel very shortly.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my extension trip throughout Eastern Europe and London in May and June 2013. This review is for the Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill.

Property: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill
Location: London, England
Address: 30 Portman Square, London W1H 7BH, England (Marylebone)
Phone: 011 44 20 7486 5800
Website: www.hyatt.com
Room Type/Class: Standard
Date: May 29-31, 2013
Booking Source: Direct (utilizing two free Hyatt nights)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I selected this hotel because I had earned two free nights (anywhere worldwide) with Hyatt that were due to expire, and this was a fairly pricey property in London.

The location is quite good, if you want to be near Bond Street, which is a big tourist attraction.

As I expected, the staff were all exemplary, and the check-in process was very smooth. However, as an aside, days leading up to my stay I received an e-mail asking for any special requests, etc. I was scheduled to review a concert the night of my check-in, switching from another London property, so asked if I could check in a few hours early... at noon instead of 2:00. I was told, "I would like to inform that early check in is possible with a extra charge of £160 it is package which include breakfast on the day of the arrival and guarantee of early checkin". I thought it was crazy to pay essentially an extra $200US to check in just two hours early, and never received any response. Many nice hotels in London charge less for an entire stay.

The lobby and property at large is kind of a stuff, British atmosphere (which is pretty much what I expected). There is a very nice restaurant on site, but I did not have time to use it.

The room itself was really nothing too special - kind of an aged and dated Hyatt-quality room that could be anywhere in the world.

The room was quite large though, and offered all you might expect from a Hyatt room, as well as a large and well-appointed bathroom.

The biggest detriment to the room was the complete lack of any soundproofing. I could hear my neighbors on either side talking as loudly as if they were in my room.

Overall, I would not stay at this property again based on the high prices in relation to the value for that money. There are many other London properties that I prefer that cost much less, and offer much more, but again, I am not the target visitor for this property.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a belated 80th birthday celebration for my dad and we had a great 2 night stay at this hotel. Despite confusion over our room bookings, the hotel managed to recover the situation to our satisfaction by a room upgrade and some personal touches in their room like a birthday cake. Great customer service by one of the managers who checked with us the next day that everything was ok.

So why have I not given it an overall excellent? The hotel was extremely busy and the queue for breakfast was long and tables not ready. Although the waiting staff did their best they seemed rushed off their feet and forgot to bring milk with the coffee and we had to ask for butter etc. It appeared to be all buffet and for a 5 star hotel I would have expected to be offered a breakfast menu.

We also booked the Montagu restaurant and this is where my main disappointment was. The food overall was average. My starter was awful and poorly presented. It consisted of lots of beetroot and 4 piped blobs of goats cheese mousse, one of which had melted. Couldn't taste the goats cheese. Everyone else's starter was fine.

The standard room was quite small but the suite was spacious and nicely furnished.The beds were extremely comfortable and rooms were generally quiet so had a great nights sleep. Fluffiest towels ever seen in a hotel

My father was in a wheelchair and the waiting staff were fabulous in assisting him which was more than can be said of the doormen who on many occasion couldn't be bothered to open the door for us. Some of them were not very smart and whilst they wore a uniform they were some of the scruffiness I have ever seen. One had dirty looking shoes. Not a great first impression.
Overall, I would say the hotel is very good and we would return.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are constantly striving to better our services and appreciate all of our guests experiences and observations. Thank you for mentioning the great customer service you received from one of our Team Members at the Front Desk. I am however, so sorry to hear that there was a shortfall in the service in The Montagu for your breakfast and from our doormen. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the shorfalls in our service to you and your comments have been shared with the management team of the departments you mentioned. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience the servie and comfort that we are known for.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

While the location is slightly off the tourist path it was a welcome retreat to the busy tourist sections of London. Easy access to 2 tube stations and public transportation and never a wait for a taxi. The service was excellent and the breakfast and tea were wonderful and so appreciated. A great hotel in which to use as home base as you travel about the city. It was so nice not to have to find a place for breakfast and tea/snack time in the evening on the executive level served as dinner on several occasions as it was full of wonderful food. The decor is very pretty, open and light.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning that our service is excellent, it will be my pleasure to pass all of your lovely comments on to the Team and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Regency Club Lounge.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was my second stage in the hotel. Last year I was very satisfied, now again I like it. It is situated in very central part of London, just 2 streets from Oxford street and close to Bond streets. The hotel is clean, the rooms are large and the service is perfect. The breakfast is very good.

Room Tip: There are some small rooms at the same price. You have to avoid this situation, so ask.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ivanmil

Thank you for your review of our Hotel and for returning to stay with us. I was delighted to read that you find us to be a great Hotel and a ‘home base’ to travel around the city. I am so pleased that we were able to meet your expectations a second time round and thank you for mentioning that you thought the breakfast was very good, it will be my pleasure to pass on your kind comment on to the team at The Montagu. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Well well well who'd have thought it! We weren't expecting such a treat, the staff were absolutely amazing from the moment we walked in the door on Saturday afternoon, to having a drink in their beautifully decorated bar, it felt such a treat.
I thought at it was a Hyatt chain it may have felt like that but certainly not.
The Afternoon tea was a delight - the food so well presented, the staff couldn't have done any better, been any more attentive nor been more helpful. We were offered more of anything we wanted, which we also didn't expect.
I found the deal on Afternoon teas, and cant recommend it enough...........from the gorgeous mini fresh burgers, to the cucumber sandwiches to the beautiful shoe cakes - yes yes yes

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jomedia

Thank you for your extremely kind comments about your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that we were able to make your stay so delightful and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your Sex & the City Afternoon Tea and our fabulous Bar. I look forward to passing your comments on to our Teams.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.