“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #880 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here a few nights on business - and was actually pleasantly surprised. The hotel was within walking distance of Canary Wharf and the tube and DLR which was exactly what I needed. For London the rooms were an excellent size, although a little bit dated. It was very warm in the room but there was air conditioning. Check in was quite slow as a bus load of people had just arrived and there seemed to have been some mix up with them so staff were out in force trying to deal with this. I had room service which was good value and plentiful. Breakfast was less impressive and I would definitely eat out for breakfast in future. But most people seemed to be satisfied with the breakfast. All in this was a good hotel for location and money. It is a little dated but I wouldn't let that put me off staying again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ashni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed for 2 weeks at this place. The staff was nice but some of them were not very helpful. The rooms are nice but it could have been better if there were some vents for fresh air too which we could open if desired. As it would get stuffy sometimes.

I had trouble with internet connection for 9 days out out total 13 I stayed there. Despite repetitive reminders, nothing was done. So that was the key negative factor for me as it was a work trip for me and I NEEDED the internet connection.

Room Tip: Ask for water facing rooms if staying for longer duration at the time of check-in.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank nidhim
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stop over here at the weekend. Location is good with jubilee lime 5 mins walk and a view of the O2 from out room. My only gripe was the lack of explanation from the staff. I was told I needed to leave my card open for room payments only to find they charged my card for 50 pounds over the room rate for just incase I wanted room service. This wasn't explained just expected I would know. The room was clean and bathroom nice. The energy saving light bulbs in the room however where appalling it took 5 mins for the room to brighten up not something I expect when I might only be in the room for a short time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nuttallacpw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

DONT BOOK I was told by booking.com this had a heated swimming pool, I asked specifically as this was my daughters birthday and I wanted it to be special. It not only did NOT have a pool that had any water in it. the whole hotel looked nothing like the pictures (Must have been taken many years ago) it was horrible and very stale. The was a huge disappointment. I can't believe they can get away with even 1 Star. And I have stayed in many hotels around the world, this is the only one I have needed to write about. Mrs Dissapointed

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Sariamary
Suffolk
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Stayed one night at the Britannia and overall a comfortable stay, but would entirely agree with previous reviews re. the worn out decor. The threadbare carpet and the chipped furniture aside, the bed was extremely comfortable.
The car parking is under the hotel, but is expensive at £21.00 per 24 hours.

Included in our package was Breakfast. Edible but not excellent.
What a shame such a lovely lovely hotel has become so neglected.

Room Tip: Avoid the breakfast and get cheaper parking across the road from the britannia.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stuphonium
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I would say that this hotel is pretty much "average". It has some charm in the old world decorations, chandelier in the bedroom etc. And it was clean. But other than that I felt it lacked some finishing touches.

My first impression when I walked in the room was "prison cot". The double bed was a mattress on a very plan frame. There were no sheets. Just a white duvet cover tucked in around the sides. It really looked like a prison cot. Fortunately the mattress was comfortable. But the pillows were wafer thin.

From a business perspective it did not offer a good phone to use to make business calls. In fact it was just a handset basically. Not even labeled for Front Desk or Room Service or anything.

Wi-fi was included and was decent so that was a positive. Had to do a little searching to find the switch to turn on the plug for the hair dryer (which is not in the bathroom) and finally had to call the front desk only to find it was hidden behind the vanity mirror. I thought that a bit awkward.

I did get this room at a great corporate rate and it was very close to the office so for price and convenience and cleanliness I rate it favorably. However, not sure I would want to stay here for an extended stay because I found the bed too hot, no mini-fridge, no in-room safe and the room afterall kind of dark.

Also, be aware, there seems to be an extensive construction project nearby. Fortunately I did not experience it causing any noise issues but that may just have been a matter of timing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AlabamaKim
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Situated in Docklands, with convenient DLR connections to central London, this hotel is an ideal base for a weekend in the Capital. Rooms are compact but functional, and our room had fabulous views over London, from Battersea to the "Cheese Grater". Check in was quick and efficient, no queues even though we checked in at what I expected to be a busy time.

The management of the hotel should be satisfied that staff carry out their duties with quiet competence. A credit to the Britannia chain of hotels. Head and shoulders above The Grand in Scarborough...

I have no complaints at all and would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone who wants the convenience of central London without the hustle and bustle of Holborn or Strand.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple