Britannia International Hotel
$288
$279
Orbitz.com
4,241 results
All reviewsnational holidaysjacuzzi bathcanary wharf tube stationjubilee linebit datedcentral londonfull englishwest endarenathames
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I travel on business frequently and have stayed in hundreds of hotels. This one was literally the worst. I only stayed there because I had to book a room last minute and this was the only one with availability.

- The air conditioner did not function for the first 24 hours.
- The beds had no top sheet, just a thin comforter.
- They evacuated the entire building this morning when an alarm sounded for no apparent reason. No apologies were made.
- I asked them to call a taxi to take me to the airport. An unmarked car arrived instead. The driver told me that he had a credit card machine, but 5 minutes into the drive he said he was taking me to an ATM to withdraw cash. It was 3am so I refused. He then told me I would either give his friend my credit card number over the phone or else he would pull over and force me out. Being a small woman, I had no choice but to provide my number. I later cancelled my credit card. Can't believe the hotel would refer me to this creep.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Adp1234
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at the Britannia for a week in March 2014. I was there for an official visit with three other colleagues. It was cold during that first week in March. There were a couple of incidents that occurred during that week that have totally put me off the idea of ever going back to the hotel..

Incident 1: Post check in we were allotted our respective rooms and we retired for the night. My room no was 337. By 2 am I woke up sweating as the room was very hot. I clearly recollect setting the temp on the thermostat to 20 degrees C, so I got up to check the thermostat. While the temp was indeed set @ 20 the actual temp in the room was showing 32. I called up the front desk to complain and they said that they would have a person come up immediately. A manager shows up within a few minutes with an allen key. I explain the problem to him, he acknowledges the issue and shrugs it off stating he will fix it. He goes on to start unscrewing the window open so that the room can cool down. He actually suggests that he would be opening the window for an hour and given how cold it was outside the room would cool down very quickly. So he suggested that I call him after an hour and he would come and close the window. I am bewildered and I ask him why he trying to dodge the main issue which is the broken thermostat in the room. He then nonchalantly tells me that the theromostat has been bypassed and all I will get in this room is hot air. I ask for a room change immediately (yes at ~ 2.30am) to which he says all rooms are booked and nothing is available for me. I ask for the duty manager Mr Pascal who comes up immediately takes stock of the situation and immediately asks me to move to another room on the 10th floor (1002). This room is good and I retire for the night. The next morning my colleagues complain about similar rooms w/o any cooling and they are finally given new rooms too. The point here is that the Hotel knew that the HVAC in those rooms was broken and yet they tried to palm that off to us..

Incident 2: I come down for the Breakfast Buffet and am stopped at the entrance by a manager who demands my b'fast voucher. I tell him I wasn't given one to which he sneers and tells me its the room key card holder that he is looking for. I tell him I wasn't given one when I changed rooms in the middle of the night and my old one must be lying in my previous room. He then asks me to fetch one from the reception which completely pissed me off. I told him I was getting my breakfast and he wanted to get it he could do that himself and my room number was 1002. He let me in with an ultimatum that he would not allow me the next morning if I did not have the ticket. Such politeness and courtesy....

Incident 3: I had a meeting until 2 pm on the day of the checkout and I had spoken to the manager Mr Pascal the previous night to allow me a late checkout @ 3pm. He agreed stating it should not be a problem as they did allow a late checkout. Now on that day as I was getting ready to leave for work Mr Jason the duty manager calls the room confirming that I would be checking out that morning. I explain the situation and he brushes me off stating that I am lying and he has had no such communication from Pascal who was on leave that day. He then goes on to tell me that if I do not vacate the room by 12, he would have all my luggage removed and stowed away and not be accountable for any loss of items. He also tells me he has an email from Pascal outlining the same. To cut a long story short, I return by 11am pack up my stuff and leave my bags at the concierge. Go back to work complete my meeting at 2pm comeback and change to leave for the airport.

Room Tip: Pl check rooms for the HVAC before you unpack. The rooms overlooking the water are nicer and brighter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank neville_1409
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel for 10 days. Couldn't choose the hotel for myself since I was part of a larger group and organisers of an event booked the place for us.

The hotel is really very average, showing visible signs of ageing and would certainly benefit from some thoughtful renovation and redecoration. On the hallways you'll find strange mix of Chinese artefacts and classical English style that are no mix whatsoever. The hotel tries to create a feeling of luxury, but it ends with a try.

Choice of food is very limited and if you stay longer after a three to four days it becomes really boring. The staff at the restaurant is very nice and helpful.

The Gym/Pool area is operated by a private company and is very old and small. In gym area several machines are broken and that limits the possibilities for exercising even more.

Hotel is close to Underground Station (5 min walk) and also very close to Canary Wharf Business and Shopping areas.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quitter and have much better view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ZmagoG
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We did not not stay in the rooms or have any food.
Visited the spa facilities only for a birthday treat with my sister.

Walking up to the hotel was. Very nice..as we got further into the hotel it starts to look very worn out and very old.
As we got to the reception to the spa, we was polity greeted by a therapist.
The area is very small and old interior with a gym that was very randomly put in the corner.
As we went to the changing room there was stairs and not so clear signs, was almost like a maze.
Robes were stained and not soft. Showers was hard to switch on and came on way too powerful!
The worst part starts now..
Following the way towards the pool/sauna/steam room, there was more stairs, that was white and VERY DIRTY! The pool was very small, but was getting cleaned as we was told on arrival. Kept walking to find some sun loungers that was worn out and dirty.
Steam room was nasty! There was hardly any steam coming out only in one side of the corner. The floor was dirty and when you open the door the rust on the floor was black and orange. It was just FILTHY!!
The sauna was ok, spacey. The door didn't close properly without having to bang it shut. Also a light was blown. There was no scents to use if you wanted to.
The pool was out of use, was getting cleaned. They should of told us this days before are arrival.
Something that HORRIFIED us was that the member of staff that was cleaning the pool area helped herself to the water with a cleaning bucket from the spa swirl pool, that we was using, while we was actually in the tub!!! She used that water to clean the floor?!
My sister also saw brown water coming out of one of the jets in the whirl pool. Another thing that was actually dangerous is there was no steps to get in the tub!?! I almost slipped trying to get in I couldn't believe it. Things was just getting from bad to worse.
Very disappointed as this was meant to be a special birthday treat. Was not happy at all with the facilities!
Last but not least, we had a massaged booked in after using the facilities..
GREAT! Therapist was really friendly and did a really good fully body massage for me and my sister. The room was small but it was nice and clean and fresh. They decorated the room nicely too with candles and swan towels. It was just right! Thank you to the ladies.
If it wasn't for are treatment at the end of the day, we would of had nothing good to say.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AND CERTAINLY WOULDN'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank nkftravels
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Avoid this hotel at all costs its full of russians getting drunk all night, it was noisy, stinking landings of smoke, even my room stank and that was non smoking. freezing cold rooms with no heating they had to bring a separate electric heater which was so old and dangerous it was a risk putting it on. The beds are narrow and hard, the duvets are thin, i had to sleep under two duvets and two blankets. The food was cheap and tasteless all the juices are so watered down they only resemble the original colour rather than taste. Its tired, shabby and in desperate need of a re fit and by the looks of the broken sign outside which only lights part of the hotel name, it reminded me of faulty towers in a not so funny kind of way. i moved hotels to the Novatel by the excell in the end and it felt like i had been moved from a shed in the garden to the warmth and luxury of modern in door living. i have only ever reviewed one other hotel and that was positive. this experience was so horrific i felt compelled to warn others. you have to have very low standards to put up with a dump like this. disgusting place. This review was based on my stay in March 2014.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business