“weekend”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #887 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this over for two night. Everything is very clean and the rooms are spotless, it could do with a bit of an update but apart from that we coulnt complain it is a very well used hotel. We would stay there again.

2  Thank lee_susan47
Write a ReviewReviews (4,066)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sadly this was probably once a fine hotel, as can be guessed from its wide use of quality marbles in the large open public areas, facilities (pool and spa etc), vista and location - one of the first large hotels built coincident with the development of Canary Wharf.

Unfortunately, our overall impression in October 2012 can best be described as dire or even dismal: this is a hotel in urgent need of considerable investment and good management.

Reception was quite unable without much wasted time to reconcile bookings made for consecutive nights but booked on different occasions. Across 2 instances, this took up 20 minues of our time to sort out.

Our room was generally clean but very tired: the bed was uncomfortable - too hard and over-sprung; the air conditioning control did not work and constantly re-set back to too high a temperature; the bathroom extraction vent needed urgent cleaning; the bedroom carpet was literally fraying at the edge. The pictures were ghastly and gave a strong impression of a Parisienne fin de siecle 'tart's boudoir'. Worse still, while all electrical items had test stickers, these were undated - ie quite meaningless. Furthermore, the hotel facilities guide stated that WiFi was only available in public areas or upgraded rooms: this is quite unacceptable in a hotel adjacent to one of London's thriving business area.

Hotel staff were demotivated, underpaid (most apparently on less than the 'London Living Wage' - we asked 2 separately) and poorly supervised, supported and trained - but very polite when engaged, almost worryingly so.

Breakfast was quite definitely the worst we'd ever experienced in a so-called '4 star' hotel: toast only cooked on one side and flabby from being stacked - even when asked for fresh toast, staff took away existing to re-toast it! Sausages and bacon only cooked on one side; white and under-cooked on other. Fried eggs had a thick skin from sitting too long under a fierce heater unit. Orange juice so cheap in quality that it was bitter; very small glasses to limit how much you can take without having to return. Coffee was pre-provided in filthy vacuum flasks on the table; on the first morning this was genuinely like mud in both consistency and taste. On the second, in fairness, it was far better. Tables were not cleared on arrival (insufficient staff on duty) though one waiter later started clearing our table from beneath us while we were still eating, as if we weren't there. We rather wished we weren't ...

Please avoid this hotel at all costs unless you can get the price down to budget levels (by booking well in advance). Then go elsewhere for breakfast and perhaps even to sleep too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank patricklt
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Clean friendly good value nice and handy for the tube. slightly further than we thought for the appollo theatre but enjoyed our stay. Excellent service from the concierge. some nice shops nearby in the canary wharf shopping centre. slug and lettuce excellent service and gemerous portions

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband I stayed at this hotel for one night on 12 October 2012. The hotel is in an ideal location very close to the O2 Arena, and a short distance from Canary Wharf tube station.

My first impression of the hotel was that it wasn’t a modern hotel, it had huge chandelier in the lobby, with dark wooden surroundings. Checking in was quick, and the staff were polite.

Our room was on the 11th floor, and in the evening the view over looking Canary Wharf was beautiful. It was very warm in the room, so we easily adjusted the temperature. The room was clean. It had dark chipped furniture probably been there since the hotel opened, it matched the rest of the dark wooden décor in rest of the hotel. It’s not a modern contemporary hotel, I realised this when I saw the bathroom. The tiles around the soap dish by the bath were discoloured and yellow, and there were a dozenor so tiles all discoloured along the bottom of the bathroom wall too. The bath was just your standard bath with an average shower head, and a shower curtain, which could have done with replacing.

The breakfast area was large, with a very good selection of cooked items and pastries and cereals. I liked that the knifes and forks and napkins were already on the tables as where the coffee and teapots.

I felt the Fire Exit instructions on the back of the door of the hotel should have been more clearer. There was no diagrams of where our room was and which way to head in case of an emergency. It stated ‘follow the nearest EXIT/STAIRWAY and proceed to the assembly point closing all doors behind you’ It then stated the ‘The designated assembly point is: Admirals Way’. It would have helped if the notice stated where ‘Admirals Way’ was. A concern if you’re a visitor from abroad and like myself don’t know London very well. Most hotels I've stayed in including top hotels and budget hotels always have diagrams. Perhaps Britannia could look into this?

The hotel could do with slight refurbishment and modernisation. If you’re looking for a contemporary and modern hotel then is not for you. Ideal if you’re attending an event at the O2.

I think if I needed to visit the O2 again I will probably look for an alternative hotel, and wouldn't stay at this hotel again, as I found it too expensive.

Room Tip: Our room over looked Canary Wharf and we could see the DLR, and trains going by, but as we were on t...
2  Thank Princess766
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here on business for two nights. Reception staff were friendly. I had a room on the 10th floor. The hotel was pretty busy which meant a long wait for lifts. My room was spotless - it had old dark furniture, which would really show the dust but it was all very clean, as was the bathroom. The furniture itself was definitely a bit tatty, scratched and scuffed. I found the bed very comfortable. I could not open the window, as it had been sealed, but the seal did not sound proof the room so it was quite noisy. There is an elevated section of the DLR running close by as well as being near London City airport. Saying this it is very handy for a selection of underground and DLR stations, as well as for Canary Wharf to eat. Breakfast was a bit of a free for all and the choice of fruit was limited. Coffee was provided in pots on the table and was a little stewed.There is a great view from the public areas, especially at night when everything is lit up. i did not have a chance to use the gym but beware - it is not complementary for hotel guests as it would be in other hotel chains. Overall it was ok for a couple of nights but I will be looking for something better next time I stay in this area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

im 70 and never been to london but me and the wife went with national holidays for the weekend the hotel was great and in a good location on canary wharf, i would like to you if you get chance book it as this weekend deal goes quick we will go again.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back it overlooks the wharf
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerInternational, Manager at Britannia International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear gdog49,

On behalf of all the staff of the International Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to post these positive comments about your recent stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

Siddharth Mahajan
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I came to Britannia with friends who stayed in a double room, and I stayed in a single room. The difference is unbelievable. The double room looks like a real hotel room, but the single one is more like a train cabin or, maybe, a tree house, a doll house. That is really small, and I mean really small. The room window is blocked by the vanity desk, since there is no room for it elsewhere. TV is hanging on the wall. I complained twice about that tiny thing, but staff would reassure me that is the only size for single bedroom. They said that was what I had bought, and the hotel was full. Should they have any other room, they would be glad to move me in. Bathroom is ok, but shower has a very week water flow , which goes too hot or too cold. They provide shampoo, conditioning cream, shower gel, body lotion, and shower cap. Twin bed is ok and linens are white and clean. Cleanness seems ok, although decoration colors do not allow you to see it very well. There is no fridge, no safe. Breakfast is poor. Pulling bags during check in and check out? Do it yourself. No matter how big or heavy your luggage is, no one will help you out. Otherwise, staff is gentle, well educated, well trained.

Room Tip: Have a double room, have a roommate.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear SuelyBrazil,

We are delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us when you came with your friend and stayed in Double Room.

In regards to Room 317, it is Standard Single Economy Room, which was booked by you. We generally upgrade the Guest to Twin or Double Standard Room, but when the Hotel is fully occupied, we give the Guest Single Economy Room (Which they have booked).

I am concerned that you have taken away a less than favorable impression of the International Hotel as a result of the above and I am anxious to redeem our reputation in your eyes. With this in mind, I would be grateful if on the next occasion you require accommodation in London you make your booking through this office so that I may personally attend to the details on your behalf. Please do not hesitate to contact me on siddharth.mahajan@britanniahotels.com

Siddharth Mahajan