“Tired and shabby”

Ranked #477 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a hotel very much of two halves, with some parts nicely presented and refurbished, and others very much in need of some love and attention. My room was at the top of the hotel and had a single bed tucked under the sloping roof which put me in mind of an old fashioned boarding school. The room was well equipped with everything I needed, including a flat screen TV and free wifi (much appreciated) but the pillow was rock hard and the room was very tired and shabby. In contrast, the bathroom was modern and spotless with brand new tiles, fixtures and towels, but the ancient old window let in a lot of noise and the shower was only lukewarm at its very hottest. The guest lounge area was large, comfortable and attractive, and the breakfast was fine, but for £115 I can't help but feel I could have got better value for money elsewhere. I am surprised that Best Western would put their name to anywhere so shabby (perhaps they are all like this?) but it would put me off choosing them anytime in the future.

2  Thank PigeonBlue
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found the room to be well equipped however I would like to apologize if you didn't completely enjoy your stay with us. All feedback made will be looked at and addressed where possible.

I thank you for your feedback which lets us constructively look at where we can improve to make all guest stays with us an enjoyable one.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel is very close to Swiss Cottage tube station and is on a quiet street. I was on the ground floor in a "superior" room but it seemed very standard so not sure what the standard ones are like. Room uncomfortably hot and opening the window the only option. It was an older property which I liked but it was a little tired and furnishings in my room were gloomy. All staff were very helpful and pleasant. Free WiFi very good. Bed and pillows very hard and uncomfortable.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and that you found our staff to be pleasant.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that we take all guest feedback seriously and use this to continuously improve the quality of service we offer.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We came across this hotel by accident while browsing the web.
Although a little bit away from the main parts of 'London', the bus service from Swiss Cottage into town is brilliant.
Plenty of them and on time!!!
The location of the hotel is a quiet leafy London street and the hotel is very comfortable with lots of old Victoriana making for a cosy atmosphere within the hotel.
Our room was very spacious and a good bathroom, although ours only had a shower and no bath, but that was not a problem.
Our room was in the basement, but still eye level with the street, and did seem a little dark at times
and we had to put lights on.
Breakfast was good particularly the cooked breakfast.
The continental breakfast was ok, but could have been replenished a bit more for those who came down later.
(We were down at 9am which we do not consider late)!
After all if the breakfast finishes at certain time, then the food should all be plentiful until then!
Just a few breakfast rolls and one croissant was left when we came down, but the meats and cheese were there, enough for what we wanted, but you do pay extra for the breakfast at £10.95 pp.
All in all a pleasant stay and would definitely return should we have another weekend in London.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and location of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

moved to this hotel after Marriott sold out, where I had two fantastic days. Ended up in one of the 4th floor rooms - no elevator past the 3rd floor, so you have to take the stairs up. Ok for me, but perhaps not for others. Beautiful old character building though, which was quite nice. Room was clean, had twin beds.. was comfortable. However, sloping ceilings in this room on the 4th floor, so one was right up against the sloping ceiling. Biggest draw back - no water pressure, and water was luke cool. I think the old building was just struggling to get any pressure up to the 4th floor. Not sure what it might have been like on other floors. Staff were very good, except when I told them the wireless wasn't working on the 4th floor -i tried 3 devices. Got connected on the main floor. Was told it should work then. Went back up.. did some sleuthing and discovered that the wireless router on the 4th floor was disconnected. So, reconnected it, and we were golden. Otherise, staff very polite. Breakfast was passable. And certainly a great location - close to Underground and very easy to get around.

Room Tip: ask for a room other than on the 4th floor. Sounds like other have had some very nice rooms, so migh...
1  Thank bccup
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologize for any issues you had with water and the internet, I would like to assure you that we are looking into these issues.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the style of the building, service and location and do hope that you will choose us for a future stay.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Staying at this charming hotel was a much enjoyable experience. It's centrally located and close to the nearest tube station, the staff is friendly and helpfull and the rooms are spacious (more like mini-suites) and tastefully decorated. Lots of natural light, nice bathrooms ,coffee-tea facilities ...so far from the average "shoebox London hotel room" as you can imagine! The breakfast buffet (not included in the price) could offer more variation, but a plus was that all hot dishes were prepared to order.
I truly recommend this hotel, and will definitively come back in my next trip to London

Room Tip: Ask not to get room 6 or 7: located by the breakfast room, you may be disturbed by the breakfast gue...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Nice folks in reception, excellent location (very close to the Tube station), good neighborhood (and you feel like you're in a neighborhood), terrific market on certain days of the week just a few steps away--although it is a bit dusty and the rooms (at least the one we had) can feel a bit cramped at times. No window in the bathroom, which also oddly housed a large but entirely useless closet which had no shelving or railing (although both would have been useful) and no washcloths with the toweling, which was a little sad. But good value for the money and a place I would return (hoping for a different and larger room).

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay for the most part. I thank you for all of your feedback and would like to assure you that all guest comments, positive or not, are used to continuously improve the quality of service that we offer.

I sincerely hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our second or third stay in as many years and always pleased to return. Reception staff are very helpful and friendly; rooms are above average size for the class of hotel, and very well appointed with plenty of storage space, comfortable beds and spacious bathrooms. The location is in a quiet, tree lined street with not a lot of passing traffic, making for a good, quiet night's sleep - something that not all London hotels can offer! Comfortable and quiet lounge and bar area. Very close to the busy Finchley Road, with shops, cinema, regular bus services to the West End, Hampstead, Camden Town, and very close to Swiss Cottage tube station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.