“Welcome surprise”

Ranked #498 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Piraeus, Greece
“Welcome surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having read previous reviews, I was expecting an average hotel experience. However, the hotel, its location, the accomodation and the staff made this a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

I had booked a singlr room, but for some reason I got a very large triple, with a big bathroom. Tea and coffee making facilities were included. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was very clean. Congratulations to the reception staff, who were very efficient, and to the croom cleaning staff, who were very friendly, and they performed a super job with a smile!

I will definitely be back the next time I am in London!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, we hope to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Hebrew first
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had a tiny single attic room with shower. It was clean but SO hot on one of our very rare HOT summer days this year! A fan would have been appreciated. Tea and coffee provided but I did not get breakfast. The room was quite big and could have had a small double or a three-quarters bed in it in order to make it less 'cell-like'! Decor was OK. The hotel is on a quiet residential street, so that was good, but some overhead plane noise could have been a problem. Lovely communal rooms - it would have been an Edwardian town-house at the turn of the 20thC. Very 'Upstairs, Downstairs'! Reception was fine and efficient but nothing special. I booked direct with the hotel and they were quite professional.

Room Tip: Avoid attic rooms if you are alone. Generally, rooms seemed quiet as it's on a residential stree...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel but apologize if you found the room too hot, we do provide fans in most bedrooms and on a request basis if they are not present in the room, however I apologize if this was not made clear to you.

Thank you again for your comments.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'd never been to this area of London before but booked this hotel as it was cheap and near the tube. I didn't realise how close! It's right next door to Swiss Cottage station, so ideal for getting to central London quickly, but it's on a sleepy residential street and is therefore nice and quiet. The service was excellent, the room spacious and clean and the bed comfy. The floors were a little creaky and thin, but it's an old building so that is to be expected. It is ideally-suited for a stroll up the hill to Hampstead or a ten-minute bus ride into Camden. All in all, a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: We were tucked away on the ground floor in Room 1.08. Like having the hotel to ourselves!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arpster_UK
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked this hotel "blind" - although generally, but not always, Best Western has a reliable standard. The exterior had scaffolding but when that is down, you will be able to see a lovely portico entrance into a small hall/reception area. Bar and lounge area delightful, with friezes and ceiling roses intact thank heavens - very much decorated to the period of the house. The breakfast room is downstairs - and the breakfast was excellent. This hotel does not do lunch or dinner (limited room service/bar menu) but as there are so many good eating places nearby, this is not a problem. Our bedroom was very spacious and comfortable, again beautifully decorated, (shower room small but quite adequate) and the whole hotel was spotlessly clean with a very pleasant and helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, your great comments have been noted and I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I sincerely hope that you will choose us again for a stay in the future.

Hensall, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here with several others attending a wedding in Kent and ending with their stay in the London area. Very comfortable rooms with plenty of Old English charm and character! Ideally located close to the tube and many restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the character of the building and location and do hope that you will stay with us again.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I sometimes wonder about the people who write reviews on here. Only 53% recommendation? We found this hotel to be well run, in a great quiet location, with a spacious room and a decent breakfast.

We had two bikes with us which the hotel said could be stored and my wife left a book behind which they posted on to us. They even chilled a bottle of sparkly for us and allowed us to leave our luggage with them after we had checked out.

The property itself is interesting enough and is furnished in classical style with some original paintings. We liked it and will stay again.

Room Tip: Careful of the stairs if you are allocated a lower ground floor room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will return, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The building and the location was perfect and beautiful. It really is the management that needs work. They have no idea...
I loved the Edwardian style, the paintings and I don't mind the squeaking floor boards and no aircon as it is London and the building itself is old.
However, the management or the lack of it is just unexceptable considering they pride they charge.
I stayed for 8 nights and had 2 evenings and one morning of cold water. It was absolutely frustrating! They tells me to try tunning the water for 15mins and it'll come on but of course it didn't. I can understand if you building is old and it squeaks and you have a fan and large windows substitute for an aircon but a bed with no springs and no hot water for 3 of the 8 days?! That's the worst that can happen when it comes to staying in hotels.
Management really need a lot of work done if all they can do is just apologise for the freezing cold water...

Other than a weak wifi service, bed with a lump due to dead springs and no hot water, I love the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank DragonlilyTokyo
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and the building and that you are fond of the hotel.

I sincerely apologize for any hot water issues you encountered during your stay, we first of all had an issue with Thames Water which had affected the whole of the surrounding area and then had an issue with our boilers which was rectified once we were able to call on an engineer came out to fix the problem. I understand that this must have been very frustrating for you and I apologize for any lack of communication from the Management Team. I have taken all of your comments on board and, as we do with all guest comments, will use them to improve the quality of service that we offer for the future.

I thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and hope that in you will choose us for a future stay.