“Nice hotel, close to tube line”

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel
Ranked #458 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 16, 2008

Hotel rooms are Ok, the beds are a little soft, try and stay on main floor not basement rooms.
We had room on main floor # 111 lots of windows space with 12-14 foot ceilings, and the main window opens for fresh air.
Very close to tube line to central London, lots of shops and pubs within easy walking distance.
Staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast the normal coffee/tea cereal toast jam etc. 6.95 pounds about standard for the UK.
Would stay again
Martyn & Lauren Jones

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed January 29, 2008

I stayed for three nights in January 2008.
I had asked for an upper floor room, and although it was not guaranteed, I got it.
A very nice surprise was the size of this room. Very big and comfortable, more like a suite than a room, with separate sitting area, and bedroom with double bed.
Overall, my experience was very good, for the money I paid.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2007

After reading the reviews on here, I was a little nervous, but this hotel was really nice! PROS: good location- not right in the middle of the city, but in a safe and pretty area; the room itself was super cute, and had a nice view; at the end of the street/within a 2 minute walk there is a tube station, a pub, 3 fast food restaurants, 2 convenience stores, and a movie theater; staff was really friendly; and security was pretty good- you have to buzz to get in at night. CONS: there are only 2 that I can think of- no air conditioning, and a teeny tiny bathroom with a teeny tiny shower. It's not the Ritz, but overall I was very impressed.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Jennies_travels
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We decided to stay an extra couple of nights in London and looked to Expedia.com for a good rate on a reputable hotel. Although the price was significantly higher than we had paid for 3 and 4 star rooms for the previous week, we thought the property looked quite nice and worth a try.
We were sadly mistaken.
When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk clerk (manager, I believe) reluctantly tore himself away from his conversation with an employee, then couldn't find our reservation, and asked how we had booked. We told him "Expedia" and he rolled his eyes, told his assistant to immediately call and close all "discount" bookings, and proceeded to give us the "Basil Fawlty" treatment.
Without any pretense at good manners or effort to welcome us to his property, he gave us the key to a "discount" room up in the attic, and turned his back on us.
Up in the attic, we found a clean, fairly well presented "British style" room that had been recently renovated. It would never win any prizes for tasteful decorating, but at least it was clean, safe and secure.
The only real faults with the room itself were poor water pressure and the fact that the hot water tap dispensed hot water and the cold water tap dispensed even hotter water. The bed springs were creaky and the TV reception was poor. But in an English 2-star hotel you learn to be forgiving, and overlook such deficiencies as "charm" or "character" :-)
At checkout time I received further attitude from a clerk when he was forced to accept a credit card instead of cash for my WiFi usage. You'd think that three pounds per hour for WiFi would be a great source of hotel income (usually offered for free in most reputable hotels), but at the Swiss Cottage Best Western the taking of money was just another excuse for eye rolling and bad manners.
I'm a well dressed, very polite and respectable guy. The one thing I do expect from any establishment where I spend hundreds of dollars and/or pounds is appreciation of my business. A simple "welcome", a smile, or even a simle "thank you" go a long way.
Thanks for nothing Best Western, you can be sure I won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GoodPlanet
Reviewed March 14, 2007

What made this such a good hotel was the short walk to the tube and the safe location. We did not opt for the breakfast but found a little french bistro up the street that served a wonderful breakfast for the same amount we would have been charged for the continental. There are plenty of restaurants in the area if you like ethnic food (which we do!) The rooms were fine, spacious and clean. The plumbing is what I expect for a European hotel. The service is good but if you require hand and foot service, this is definitely not the hotel for you. And if you can manage London's underground (Jubilee line to most major attractions), you've got a great bargain (off season) and a great hotel! If you are looking for something clean, safe, comfortable and recognize you are still in a large cosmopolitan city and exercise some simple safety concerns, I would recommend this place. The only issues I had was the guest in the upstairs room left the bloody shower on our last night there and we had to change rooms in the middle of the night (night staff was efficient for a room change). Also, make sure you check your room carefully upon checkout because if you have left something, they aren't very responsive and chances are... it won't be 'found' or returned.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed February 6, 2007

We just finished an eleven night stay at this hotel. On the whole it was very satisfactory. It was clean and well carried for. We had a superior twin with Continental breakfast for £90.00. That took some negotiating on the phone direct. Being winter and the low season helped.
The breakfast was adequate but without variety. Cold cereal, 4 kinds, juice, italian salami, processed cheese slices, rolls and occasionally crousants [sp] tea or coffee and white or brown toast. For $10.00/person they could do better.
Location in zone 2 was fine because it is 1 1/2 blocks from the Swiss Cottage tube stop on the Jubilee line which is frequent and very fast. Further, it is not as crowded as the Piccadilly line or the Victoria.
Whines: The front desk staff was not terribly co-operative at times. The sound on my TV got locked at a low level and I was told that they were all that way. That was on Friday. On Monday when I went to the front desk to complain again, the clerk sent someone up right away and it was unlocked. When I checked I was told that the reservation was without breakfast. I insisted that it included a full English breakfast. My husband had talked to the desk manager or someone on Monday and arranged it. He reluctantly looked up the reservation and found the note but said it was continental breakfast. I was too tired to argue the point. As it turned out the English breakfast was the same as the continental with the addition of cooked eggs, hash browns, bacon or sausage, beans and tomato. We did not need that much food so it worked out. But the clerk's attitude was surly at best. When we asked about a church for Mass same clerk had no idea but found a card with one on it, but then gave total incorrect directions. When we asked if there was a launderette near by, he thought there was one at the end of Eton St. Well that was a mile down the road. Basically it is poor front desk training and supervision.
On the plus side, I did not have to wait until 2 pm to get into our room. I was it by 11:30am, for which I was grateful.
On the whole it was a positive experience if one ignored the front desk staff. We would go back

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank fcpsretired
Reviewed November 15, 2006

After the reading of the critics in tripadvisor I was positively surprised then I arrived at the hotel.

The reception desk was friendly and they asked if everything is allright with the rooms. The rooms were above average compare
what I have already seen in London and quite spaceous.
It is very close to underground station, just 200 meters.
Breakfast was not extraordinary, but okay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business