“Lovely Hotel Great Location”

Ranked #509 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Norfolk
“Lovely Hotel Great Location”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I recently traveled to London with my family last half terms holidays, and were fortunate enough to stay at the Swiss cottage hotel for a 3 night 4 day stay. The location is superb a 100 yards from the underground. The room we had was superb could not have been better, we were fortunate to have free parking in the very small car park. The Staff on reception were most helpful,nothing was too much trouble. Any niggling little problems we had were very rapidly sorted by the hotels very caring house manager, with the minimum amount of fuss. The breakfast area is under going refurbishment... so was not running as the hotel wanted but there was a good selection available, and I understand the work should be almost complete very soon. One big advantage with the location is that there are many splendid eating places on the doorstep. We had a great stay and shall return. Many thanks to all the Staff. they made our stay a real pleasure

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Estelle1998
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the location of the hotel.

We hope to see you again very soon when you will be able to enjoy our newly refurbished breakfast restaurant!

Thank you again.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Best Western, Swiss Cottage, London advertises as a 4 star hotel the best rating I would give is 2-3 maximum. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful but after that there are no other good points. The bedroom was very small and the en suit shower cubical tiny, I am not the largest of people but for me only just enough room to turn around in the shower, if I dropped the soap I have to get out of the shower to retrieve it. To get to the toilet I had to open the door manoeuver my around it and close it agian to gain access. Squeeky floor tiles and lack of tile filler did not make the washroom a pleasent experience. Houskeeping left empty bottles and dirty glasses on two out of the three nights I stayed there. Creaking floor boards throughout the hotel did not make for an uninterupted sleep. The breakfast was just acceptable for what is supposed to be 4 star although the staff were very polite and helpful, they tried there best under the circumstances. Outside the front entrance was not cleaned during my 4 day 3 night stay, cigarette ends and empty packets were not cleared and the floor not swept. This is not the best Best Western Hotel I have stayed at and will not be my hotel of choice when I plan a trip to the UK later in the year, sorry its really not good enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank UNCLE2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was saddened to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations and will be investigating the issues raised.

Thank you once again and I would like to assure you that all comments made by our guests, positive or not, are used constructively to improve the quality of service that we offer.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Here for a 4 day stay in this very good place, reasonable for London, and good size rooms (Doubles, but singles a bit small so it's worth getting a double for just a bit extra). The staff are very friendly and helpful and helped me change rooms when I complained of the noisy radiators which banged and rumbled through the small hours. My travelling companion had the same problem so I think radiator noise is a problem! Hopefully it's fixed by the time you read this.
I didn't have breakfast as £10 is too much, and there are plenty of places nearby, depending on your taste, ranging from a small Italian cafe to McDonalds, Subway and Costa all on Finchley Rd, 5 mins walk.
Newspapers and internet provided, Freeview TV plus Sky Sports Channels.
Tea and coffee in rooms, good beds, all in all very good for London.

Room Tip: All rooms face the street (one side or another) but it's pretty quiet. If you're travellin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and apologize for any inconvenience caused by radiator noise, this is being looked into.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We booked 2 superior rooms for 1 night and chose this hotel purely for it's location as our daughter had an interview at the Central School of Speech and Drama (door to door was less than a minutes walk, so ideal!).
Parking was impossible as all the bays outside the hotel are Permit Holders Only, apart from 3 bays at the end of the street that are Pay & Display and stayed full. We ended up parking in the underground car park of the Marriot Hotel, only 5 minutes walk away and at a charge of £16.50 for the night so not bad.
The location is great, very close to lots of small shops and takeaways, and the Swiss Cottage tube station is a couple of minutes away.
The term 'faded grandeur' sums this hotel up so well - linked converted period properties with creaky floorboards, oil paintings in gilded frames and a maze of corridors that all added to it's charm. The rooms were a good size and clean, the beds reasonabley comfy. The bathroom was fine - shower over the bath worked well enough and there was hot water so no complaints there.
We do have a couple of complaints though.... Our room was at the back of the hotel where I think the sun must shine most of the day, as our room was not overly warm, but not too cold either (though it became chilly later in the evening). Our daughters room was at the front of the building and was not warm at all. She drew the curtains in an attempt to retain some heat but during the eveing when it became quite windy the curtains (which were heavy) were moving from the draughts coming from the windows. The heating was not on, the radiators were really cold, and the heating cannot be controlled from individual rooms. I went to reception and told the man there about the curtains and chilly room and his response was - 'put towels around the window, that might help'; when I asked about the heating he shrugged and said it should warm up later!?! The main areas of the hotel were warm enough - just not the rooms! So our daughter used an extra blanket that we keep in the car and she wore a sweatshirt with her pyjamas! I know sash windows can be drafty, but we used to live in a Victorian house with the original sash windows and we did not have this problem. If these types of windows are kept well maintained they can be great. We did want to swap rooms with our daughter so that she wouldn't be quite as cold, but she wouldn't because we would then be cold. Had it still been open, I would have gone to the Argos store just around the corner and bought a small electic heater, but it was closed by this time.
We also asked a few times about internet access as we could not get online - (not somuch an issue for us, though it would have been nice - but our daughter had hoped to do a little more research before the interview) - we tried several times to get online but no luck and again when we asked at reception we were told the internet was working for him so it must be a problem with our equipment or what we were doing! I thought this was very unlikely on two laptops and three mobile phones!
We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food, nor did we use the bar.... which brings me to the last moan....
When we came to check out I was told that we had a bar bill to settle - yet we had not used the bar at all. When I said this I was told that we had used the bar, that we had had drinks and he had a receipt for our drinks, I said again that we had not used the bar and when I asked to see the receipt he screwed it up without showing it to me and said 'don't worry about it'. Is this not a bit odd?? Either someone has obtained drinks using our room number or they haven't?!
It's a shame - it's a nice, unusual hotel in a great location that we would have used again, but the unhelpful responses we received from reception and issues we had have put us off and we will not stay here in future.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and the room at the back was certainly a little warmer than the front!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jane7475
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was saddened to read of your experience with the reception staff on duty at the time of your stay and other issues encountered, rest assured I will be investigating further as to how this could have happened.

Your feedback is much appreciated, we will be using this in a constructive way to improve the quality of service that we offer.

Once I have been able to investigate the issues mentioned in full I will contact you directly.

kent
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Helpful manager.'Garden' Room - a ground floor room - no garden rather parking - had character.
Lounge and bar area very grand. Room was noisy - turned out to be the radiators but we were given a discount. Clean room and comfortable bed.
Very nice breakfast - good selection and English breakfast freshly cooked - was a nice touch.
Free on street parking after 1.30 on a saturday and thru sunday.
Handy position - we were going to Camden.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marshmim
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I do apologize for any inconvenience due to radiator noise.

I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed breakfast and hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is nice and quiet,based in a residential area.there is a tube station really close to the hotel(Swiss Cottage station) and it's a short ride to central London.the decoration in the hotel is nice.stuff helpful.I didn't take the breakfast in the hotel.The beds are not very comfortable but ok.
I can't say it's perfect: the rooms are dark even with turning all lights on,the heating dimmer in my room was hardly moving,the lift is very slowly,
But still-comparing to London hotels, the superior room was big and the shower room huge.
I found a good rate , even cheap, probably because it was off-peack season.
Take this hotel if you want to be in a nice location out from the hassle but still close to the centre.

Room Tip: Check rates at the hotel's own website.you can find good rates a couple of days in advance if it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ortal S
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feed back following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would like to assure you that all comments made by our guests are used constructively to improve the quality of service that we offer.

I hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked this via a Virgin web site and was really pleased with what we got for £79 . The booking was a last minute as the snow was making train journeys difficut for an early sart on Saturday. We booked a family room which was clean and tidy with tea making facilities and biscuits, then a seperate adjoining room for my teenage daughter. The bathroom had all the extras you would expect from a four star hotel. We had to leave early so did not use the restaurant facilities but im sure it would not have disappointed. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: we stayed on the third floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cjsutcliffe
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

I am pleased that we could give you some shelter from the snow and although it was a short stay, I'm glad you found it pleasant.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.