“Definitely won't be returning here!”
Review of Bayswater Inn

Bayswater Inn
Ranked #920 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Definitely won't be returning here!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We thought this hotel would be a good place to stay as it's not too far from transport into and around London. However, we were badly disappointed! We were a family of 5, sharing a triple and a double room. The triple room was spacious and clean with a newly refurbished shower en-suite, so at first we were quite satisfied. However, being the middle of winter, we did not appreciate having cold (and I mean freezing cold) showers! As we were there for two nights, we reported the problem to reception who said that would sort it out. There was hot water for one shower that evening, but then the following morning it was back to freezing water again - my husband went to complain and was told we could use another vacant room's facitilies. This meant wandering around the hotel in pj's etc, and again only sufficient luke warm water for one! The other half of our family experienced the exact same probem in their room! Absolutely NOT good enough.
Breakfast room was a bit of a bun fight to get a table, and also cutlery and crockery at a premium, so one had to keep asking staff for knives or tea cups etc. How the hotel copes when full I can not even imagine! Juices were watered down versions of the real thing, the toaster machine half toasted the bread, but if you ran the slice through a second time it was cremated, so neither option was brilliant! Not quite sure what was in the sausages but they tasted foul! (And to be honest, we are not a nit-picky bunch under normal circumstances!!)
On the plus side, we were able to leave bags in a locked baggage room which saved us lugging them around London on the day we left.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kmrkjr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Wales UK
Reviewed December 28, 2012

There is external building work at present which is off-putting. Reception staff friendly and efficient. Reception was comfortable and fairly clean if a bit tatty. Small lift to upper floors and steps into the building - I am not sure if there was better disabled access from outside. I stayed here for 2 nights in 2 different rooms (my plan because I was joining friends). The 1st room was a ground floor triple- I had booked a twin for single occupancy because of reviews saying rooms were small so this was a pleasant surprise. Lots of faded corridors which were a bit isolated if you were on your own but the room was spacious with 3 single beds and clean bedding (only 1 pillow per bed). Wall mounted TV and a desk, kettle, tea, coffee etc and clean mugs. Wardrobe and bedside tables and a radio. Some furniture was a bit tatty looking. The room was quiet and the bathroom had a small window that would not shut; it was not as clean as I would have liked - hairs were in evidence and the enamel was worn and pitted. There was however plenty of loo roll and some toiletries.Towels were clean, white and functional and there were toothbrush glasses. The shower could have done with a good scrub and the screen was cracked. There was no hot water in the morning. Breakfast was help yourself - bread to toast yourself if you could master the machine. Croissants and bread rolls, butter, spread, jams etc. Limited cereal selection and tinned fruit. Scrambled egg, mixed egg and mushroom, beans, halal sausages, tea, coffee and milk and orange or apple juice and yoghurt. These were all adequate but not special and the hot food was tepid and not really a proper British cooked breakfast - pretty 'canteen-ish'. The 2nd room was a twin on the 3rd floor with similar fittings and more pillows! Towels were changed daily. Bath with shower over it and clean enough - just. TV didn't work but there was hot water and it had a view of the square; although it was at the front it wasn't noisy and this was midweek just before Christmas. 5 minutes walk Bayswater tube station (District & Circle) and only 1 stop from Paddington. Plenty of local food outlets and shops open late. Not a 3* hotel but a good hostel since you have your own bathroom but the breakfast is not great and overall needs an update and better cleaning. Having said all that it was good value in a good location.You can leave luggage for a £1 charge - it's moderately secure inasmuch as you are given a raffle ticket but you could pick up anything once in the room.

Room Tip: Singles very small and if you want any view at all you need front and 2nd or 3rd floor. If you are t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SouthWalesUKHeather

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

teramo,italia
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Once again the Bayswater area of London strikes again. The Bayswater Inn Hotel, located in Bayswater behind the shopping centre Whitely's, was new to me and a real surprise for price/ quality!!!!! Our room (triple) was great and the bathroom (for the first time) quite large w/tub came with all we needed. The 3* hotel is undergoing renovations but it never inconvenienced our stay..... No loud noise or dust anywhere! The staff was helpful and courteous..a must for me!!!! The breakfast included in our stay was greatly appreciated...eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, yogurt, and all the rest helped kick off the day with a super start. There are 2 tube stations close by and all tourist attractions within a 10 min. trip. I will definitely go again.... bringing more friends!!!!!! I was not disappointed with my 20th trip to London!!!!!

Room Tip: Quiet neighbourhood and no outside noise.......rooms quite warm but heat can be adjusted!!!! Bathroo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarenTeramo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I was just looking for somewhere to lay my head and get breakfast for 2 nights while catching up with friends in London so this place did the job. It's fine if that's all your after, but some things to be aware of.

They are currently renovating so its quite hard to see from the street that this is the hotel, from all the surrounding scaffolding. You have to get buzzed in through the door but once your in, reception is pleasant enough.

After I checked in and headed back out in the pouring rain, reception leant me an umbrella which I thought was good.

I paid for a double for 2 nights and was surprised (pleasantly) with my room. It was perfectly spacious and much bigger than other London rooms I've stayed in. Big plasma Tv on the wall, hair dryer, plenty of wardrobe space and the bed was pretty comfy. Apart from the room getting very hot, it was a pleasant room. The bathroom wasn't however. Very dated, stains in the bath and the taps / shower don't work properly so you have to turn them in different directions for a minute before they even start working. Not the best experience. My light was flickering too when I arrived but the hotel made sure that was all sorted on my first day.

Breakfast room was very busy and sadly breakfast was very average. However there is at least a mild choice, cooked / toast/ a couple of cereals, yoghurt and fruit. Didn't taste great, but fills you up I guess.

All in all, this place was just £40 a night on Booking.com and for centre of London in zone 1, that's very good. I got what I paid for - perhaps for London even more than what I paid for - and if you just need somewhere to lay your head, it's fine.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
kings lynn
Reviewed December 16, 2012

i stayed here on the 8th of december 2012 i was with my partner and her sister and boyfriend. we stayed in a room for 4 people. booked the hotel online thinking it looked nice, upon arrival at the hotel there was work being done on the exterior ( nothing said about this online when booking the hotel. the next morning there was no hot water for a shower.The breakfast was disgusting. the food that was supposed to be hot but was all cold. It cost £160 for the stay i cant see how you can justify paying that for when we received such poor service. Wrote a letter of complaint and email to the hotel havent heard a thing from them very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alanburch14
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed last weekend with my wife having booked hotel as part of a package.
Hate to be nasty but this place is a dump. Scaffolding outside is no big deal haowever the first room we were given - top floor room - was tiny with a bed that looked like a camper style bed. The bathroom was dirty with a hole in the wall beneath the sink and it stunk to high heaven.
Second room was a bit better and was clean but I was so angry at the cheek of them thinking the first room would be acceptable to anyone.
The breakfast was of prison standard.
A nice touch was a used condom that sat in a corner of the stairs for our whole two day stay.
Sorry but this is a one of the worst.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimthefall
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Be aware of this 'hotel'. It is the most vile accommodation I have ever stayed in. I have noticed that a few people have supplied positive reviews for this place. I can only assume that they are hotel staff/managers who are trying to save face and balance out the heavy flow of bad reviews for this nightmare. I booked 3 nights stay at the Bayswater Inn in late November 2012 and left the hotel after 1 night.

Upon arriving for my 3 night stay I was given Room 15 in the basement of the hotel. I was immediately shocked when I first entered the basement level as it smelled very heavily of paint fumes due to a lot of construction that was taking place on the basement level of the hotel. The fumes were extremely overpowering. I was also shocked when I entered the room that I was given. It was a very dated and worn room with a very small bed and the room appeared to be very dirty - nothing at all like the description on the website which described it as 3 star accommodation and having 'stylish' rooms. In addition to this the room smelt heavily of mildew and the towels provided in the bathroom smelt unwashed and were damp.

I tried to connect to the Internet on my phone which usually has great service. In this room however, none. As I was working in London it was imperative for me to be available at all times by phone and email - I had neither in this room. I went upstairs to the front desk and asked for another room higher up due to the lack of reception as well as the fact that I was given a room that was back to back with the hotels lift machinery room which made a very loud and disturbing vibration in the room.

I was shown a room on the ground floor (a tiny room where you had to shuffle sideways to get to the bed and duck under the low wall to reach the shower) however when I returned to the front desk I was told I could not have this room as it was to be taken that evening making the viewing of the room pointless. It was incredibly confusing. I was told there were no alternative rooms available for me to change to but I was welcome to try again in the morning.

Throughout the night I was woken repeatedly by the loud noises coming from the lift machinery room. I was also kept awake by the state of the tiny single bed which was very worn down to the point where every spring could be felt. It felt empty of any padding. I was then woken after 2 hours sleep at 5am by the hotels managerial team yelling in the hallways in what sounded like Polish (this continued throughout the morning), clearly paying no consideration to their guests. I knew they were managerial staff as the lady who was yelling in the hallway outside my room came up to the front desk and interrupted me while I was talking to the receptionist about getting another room which I found incredibly rude but unsurprised by at this point. They were also being very aggressive to the cleaning staff at around 9am, personally criticizing their work. Though I agreed with the fact that the cleaners work was not good following the discovery of what appeared to be sunflower seeds littering the dirty carpet of my room showing that the room had not been cleaned very well prior to my check in, I found it incredibly unprofessional to be so aggressive toward the staff with no regard of who was around or asleep. No consideration was given to any of the hotel basements guests whatsoever.

This carried on repeatedly until 9.30am. Along with this the hotel carried out drilling and other construction to the interior of the basement level of the adjoining hotel as well as the hallways of the Bayswater Inn from around 7am making it impossible to sleep or relax. Builders repeatedly walked through the hotel and past my room banging walls and knocking their ladders against things.

At 9.30 I went back to the front desk to make a further complaint about the state of the room and it's conditions as well as the behavior of the hotel staff. I was told that the staff would be spoken to but they were not as it continued long after I returned to my room resulting in me asking them to adjust their volume myself. This was ignored. I was also told that I would not be able to take another room as they were fully booked.

When I returned to my room I decided that I was not willing to stay in the room or the hotel for the remaining two nights. I decided to take photos of the room and the conditions. Upon inspecting the bed due to feeling the springs all night I noticed that the mattress was in fact covered in a serious mold problem. The entire length and width of the mattress was covered in it. I was absolutely mortified that not only would this hotel allow its guests to sleep in such dirty, noisy, aggressive conditions but would also inflict such serious health risks upon its guests. Mold can be very poisonous. I was disgusted and furious.

I then left the room and checked out. Upon checking out I explained the situation to the front desk clerk for a 3rd time including the mattress issues. There was no offer to relocate me or offer of an apology. I told him that I would be requiring a full refund and compensation for this hotel stay. He told me I would have to contact the company who provided the voucher for my stay. I asked him if I could have something to show that I had checked out early and he said that the company who provided the voucher for my stay would be able to contact them and find out I checked out two days early.

I was then forced to find alternative accommodation outside London which resulted in my plans for the week having to be entirely rearranged and incurring additional costs.

This was without doubt the most revolting accommodation I have ever seen in all my years traveling and I have stayed in a lot of hotels. I have since read a LOT of similar reviews as mine on Trip Advisor, one where the manager responded to a bad review (if you read this, though I know you will have received my complaint through the company I booked with, I am sure potential customers would be enlightened to see how you are able to explain the vile standards you inflict on customers paying hard earned money to sleep on a moldy mattress etc).

Book this hotel at your own risk. This is the first time that I have reviewed a hotel but felt it my responsibility to warn people about the hotels extremely poor sanitary and staff conditions. It takes a lot for me to complain about a hotel - I am usually content with a basic room for me to lay my head as I tend to be away from the hotel during the day however a hotel is not what this is. What I don't expect is to sleep in filth for £70 per night next to a machinery room, on top of a moldy mattress while aggressive staff including managers yell all morning over the top of construction. THAT is completely unacceptable. Since showing the photos to others they have been equally disgusted, particularly in the state of the bed and I have made a formal complaint not just to the company I booked through for a refund but I also am in the process of making the UK trading standards aware of this. i have also been told by the company I booked the hotel through that my complaint has been forwarded to the hotel manager who has not acknowledged any of these issues or taken any responsibility for the state of the rooms - even given the photographic evidence that has been taken - Be very VERY aware. I would give this hotel a mark well into the negatives if I could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo