“Hospitality at it´s best”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #256 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Located 90 seconds walk from the Tower Hil tube station, the Doubletree has the perfect location for getting everywhere in London, fast.

I´m from Scandinavia and there is nothing like dislike more than over the top greetings and robotic replies to requests. Although this hotel is a part of an international chain, you will have none of that at the Doubetree London Tower. All the staff are sincerely there to see to it that you are well taken care of. A warm cookie on check-in is a great touch, so is the iMac computer in the room for staying in touch with home. It doubles as a tv so you have everything in one machine

The beds are soft but in a good way. The whole room experience is great. Too often in big cities the water pressure in the shower is lacklustre but at the Doubletree it was perfect. Well appointed amenities and the floor to ceiling windows are a nice touch.

Breakfast was very nice and the service, again, very friendly but unintrusive. I will stay there every time I´m in London and highly recommend it for all other travelers who value all the above.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Snorri V
Write a ReviewReviews (6,012)

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Just returned from a three night stay, one of our most relaxing of any hotel in London.
Despite the size of the hotel all seemed peaceful and calm, no queues to check in/out (we arrived before check in time but room available), for lifts or for breakfast, often a problem in larger hotels. Rooms also seemed very quiet, we were in an outside room away from lifts but didn't get any disturbance from the corridor. Obviously don't know how busy it was but suspect it was far from full.
All staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. We had a problem with heating in our room but once reported soon resolved.
Location is great, a quiet side street but minutes from Tower of London, Tower Bridge and excellent transport links by tube, DLR or even river bus; we used all three.
Suggest you request a room on an upper floor, at the front if possible for views towards the river. Don't know what the Atrium view rooms are like but think could be dark and possibly noisier.
A couple of minor minuses: standard rooms come with shower only, though more than adequate, lots of hot water, nice toiletries, but there's nothing quite like a good soak after a hard day. Also breakfast seemed expensive so try and get an inclusive deal, we had continental breakfast included in room rate but would have liked a greater selection of fresh fruit.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JNBils
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night with a couple of friends for a "break from the kids night!" - on arrival Saturday 4pm, we were informed that our reservation wasn't on the system for some reason (even though i had all the paperwork from our tour operator) but we were offered a complimentary drink from the bar while we waited for them to sort it out as there was "plenty of free rooms so wasn't a problem". 10 minutes later we were informed that they were reasy for us to check in when we had finished or drinks.

When checking in we were then advised that we had had our rooms upgraded to a deluxe on the 10th floor with views overlooking Tower Bridge for our incomvenience.

The staff at this hotel couldn't have been more helpful, not once did we have to moan or groan and ask to be upgraded or for a complimentary drink - this was all offered as good will and only put us out for 10 minutes (which was spent drinking a free drink! - happy days!)

The rooms are very clean, bathrooms were extremely clean- this is probably the cleanest shower i have ever seen in a hotel room!

Drinks at the skylounge were extremely pricey - you are definitely paying for the view! - we only had the one drink (£37 for 4 x JD & coke) there but the view is spectacular.

Another little touch was the warm cookie on arrival that didn't even make it to the 10th floor! yum!! :-)

Room Tip: If possible opt for higher floor with external view - it seemed that most rooms had internal views o...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Stayed here in October for a family occasion in London. Four of our family arrived on the Friday with another three arriving on the Sat morning, very early, 10.30am. Our family event was at 3pm a half hour taxi journey away so after flying into London that morning we were anxious to get to the hotel, get fed, showered and suited up. Our relatives spoke to the hotel reception on the Friday and asked that we be placed on the priority list for check in on Sat morning when we arrived, they said no problem. Our relatives mentioned this again on Friday night and again were told no problem. They then phoned down to reception on Sat morning to let them know our flight had landed but they didnt know anything of our priority check-in request so they had to give it again. When us Sat arrivers got checked into one room they phoned us to say the next room was ready, when the last party went back to reception to get the key they were told it wasnt ready. Another phonecall to reception & housekeeping established for everyone that the room was ready. They did get us into our rooms by 11.30am/12pm which we did really appreciate and they gave us complimentary drinks while we waited so the staff were very pleasant but the communications in the hotel is very disjointed. Was also shocked at how pokey the bathroom was and the bedroom itself was just reasonably sized esp given the price of staying this hotel if you book direct. The Apple TV was just too complicated but then it didnt really matter to us as we werent spending much time in the hotel. Id stay again if I had to but have stayed in an equally starred hotel in Westminister that is soooo much more impressive and has a lot more to offer.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Naraigh
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I had a recent two night stay here on business.

I arrived at 11.30pm on Sunday night but reception was still quite busy with a queue of people ahead of me waiting to check in. This is a big hotel and queues at reception seemed to be the norm.

As I said, this is quite a big hotel and my room was quite a walk from the lifts. I am kind of glad it was though as noise in the corridor could be easily heard in the room and I think a room closer to the lifts would have experienced a lot more noise than I did.

My room was of a fair size for London with a standard double bed. Bathroom was very compact with a shower only but clean and functional.

Rather than a TV you get an IMac computer which was a nice touch but I couldn't work out how to turn in on with the remote - not sure that you actually can.

I ordered room service on my first night and was impressed by the 24 menu which had a good selection.

Internet is wireless, free and very fast, big plus points IMO.

Didn't try any of the restaurants or bars in the hotel.

The hotel is very well located for the tube stop at Tower Hill and Fenchurch Street Railway station. It was also only a short walk to all my meetings in the City. There are plenty of nice restaurants and bars in the vicinity.

I would not hesitate to stay here again when next doing business in the city.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GeordieEngineer
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Fantastic location, clean spacious room with quality products in the bathroom.
Visit to the sky bar at midnight was the perfect ending to a great night.
Breakfast very good but little expensive.
Would love to stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I spent nine nights here in November on business, when the hotel was still the Mint, and couldn't have been more pleased. My room was spacious and comfortable - and at the very end of a corridor, so quiet; and the in-room Apple allowed me to leave my laptop in the States but still use Skype, email, Internet, etc. (I didn't have time to watch TV except the news while getting dressed in the morning, but it seemed that the screen would be pretty small/poorly located for trying to watch something from bed.) I adored the continental breakfast, with wonderful European cheeses, Swiss oatmeal and pastries. I used the gym a number of times and usually had it to myself or shared it with one other person; it had everything I needed for a workout. My only complaints were two that I have about many hotels: 1) If I'm going to be there for multiple days and I move something like a wastebasket or a hand towel, I've probably moved it somewhere I find convenient, and it's very annoying when it keeps being put back in the "right" place twice a day; and 2) having my hand and bath towels refreshed every day and sometimes twice (during turndown service) is ridiculous, especially if someone has tidily rehung the towels, making it clear they are still in use. But minor peeves. I really hope the hotel maintains its high standard under the new ownership.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business