“Enjoyable visit, well presented!”

Churchill War Rooms
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.34*
and up
Churchill War Rooms Entrance Ticket
Ranked #7 of 1,633 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The underground headquarters of the British High Command served as the nerve center of Britain's war effort during World War II.
Scottsdale, Arizona
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Enjoyable visit, well presented!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was my second time time seeing the Churchill War Rooms. The first time was over 20 years
ago and it is better now. Much more interactive and more exhibits. Everything was well lit and described appropriately.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Get your history geek well & truly on!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I had heard great things about this museum & after handing over my credit card to pay £17 entry! I certainly wasn't disappointed. This museum is quite possibly the best museum I have ever been into. The 'complimentary' audio guide is super informative. It provides an informative, entertaining commentary on the rooms as they were & as they are now. I could have probably spent a lot more time inside the war rooms however after spending 2.5 hours there I felt I had seen enough. The audio guide really let's you take it at your own pace - if you want to spend hours in the Churchill museum you can, if you would rather listen to the commentary & move on you can also do that. I lingered a little in the Churchill section but was keen to see everything else.
It is amazing how well preserved the rooms are, you almost expect to walk into someone from Churchill's staff as you wander through the rooms.
Again, I was lucky on the day that I went, it was another cold, rainy day & it wasn't very busy at all.
I didn't stop in the cafe but the gift shop; I bought a few things while I was there, not to mention some great WWII postcards.
Even if you're not a history buff & only have a vague understanding of Churchill & his influence this museum is definitely worth a visit. I do believe if you purchase the London card you get a discount on the entrance fee.
I would go back again, for sure! A must see while in London, especially when the weather is rubbish!!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Well worth the time”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I highly recommend the Churchill War Rooms, especially if you are a history buff. The exhibits are well put together, and really drive home the impact the war had on London. The accompanying audio guide is helpful. The adjoining Churchill museum is also great, and gives insight into his life before, during, and after WWII. Close to other attractions such as Buckingham palace, so certainly easy to get to and well worth a few hours of your time.

Chicago
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 238 helpful votes
“Left with more questions than answers.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I liked the Churchill War Rooms, but didn't love them.

You do get to walk through the bunkers where pivotal war decisions were made. And each room has mannequins decked out in uniform. But each room had a plexiglass window, which separates you from the experience pretty significantly.

I would have liked to have known more about everything.

* Specifically what was decided here?
* How did the telephone scrambler work?
* What happened in each room?
* How did they decide to build the bunkers here?
* What kind of secrecy did they have to protect themselves?

Sometimes, the audio guide gives you answers, mostly not.

Does this place offer a chance to learn more from living veterans? That would be a nice addition.

I had to rush through the museum since my time was extremely limited, so I may have enjoyed this more if I was able to linger. In the end, the experience left me cold.

Also, $27/person? Yowch!

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“allow yourself time to see this”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Thought we'd pop in for a quick visit and stayed longer than we planned. We could have stayed even longer. There was so much to see. History is staring you right in your face. I loved the filmed interviews of the people who actually worked in the war rooms. The maps are still hanging on the walls with their little pins and strings. The furniture is there. The phones are all there.
You can see a break out of the concrete that is above the war rooms in case it was ever bombed. There are of course all the Churchill favorite documents and photos. Do not miss this when in London.