“A hidden and unknown jewel in London”
Review of Leicester House

Leicester House
Ranked #71 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Askoy Municipality, Norway
“A hidden and unknown jewel in London”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed there on a business trip in August 2012. After reading reviews on Tripadvisor I was not sure what to have of expectations. Upon arrival a friendly staff checked me in and informed me about the hotel. Then when opening the door to my room no. 12 I was really positively surprised. The room was with a perfect size, with a nice bed and a very nice bathroom, and a good mattress and good pillows. All the room was white and neat. What I like in particular was the small hooks all along the walls in the room, I had always a place to hang my jackets and shirts. The minibar was probably one of the best minibars I have ever seen, hurray! Instead of a drink in the room I enjoyed a beer in the bar on 1st floor, a quiet and relaxing good pub. I did not try the restaurant, but when returning to the hotel after our dinner in the city we bought coffee in the restaurant. The staff was really friendly and since it is a small hotel with only 14 rooms or so, you really feel at home, no fuzz just good buzz...I'll be back, that's for sure.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank JoKva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My brother stayed her in September '11 as a treat for his partner. He is champions St. John (restaurants), and had showed me the great location of this hotel (China Town meets Soho meets the West End).

I met my wife later in the night, and we decided to see if they had a room available (didn't fancy going home). They did, and said it was £150. Okay, not cheap, but as a last minute whim, it was worth paying.

The Hotel itself is stunning. The stairway makes you feel as if you're on a boat (without the sickness!), and the rooms continue the nautical feel, with white wood panelling in the rooms, and beautiful mosaics around the sanitaryware.

One can see how the bath and sink in the room could be problematic for those that don't know each other that well. However, the WC and another basin are located behind a lockable door (probably best for everyone).

This is a brilliant hotel. Comfortable rooms, bedding (and beds), toiletries, and fantastic storage facilities. The mini bar is pricey (no surprise), but it's stocked full of amazing things (Krug anyone?!).

We requested some toothbrushes, which the hotel were happy to provide us with - at £3 each!
I wrote a letter of complaint about this, and although I received no reply, they did refund me the ridiculous £6 charge.

We ordered breakfast in bed the next morning, which was out-of-this-world good. The best in-room breakfast I've ever had. Great eggs and bacon, and excellent cafetiere coffee (more than welcome after a heavy night).

If you're in the vacinity, this is a must-visit. I hear the restaurant is amazing.

Room Tip: Whether it's in-room or in the restaurant,have breakfast - you will not regret it! (And don'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony M
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel might not be for everyone but if you are an experienced traveler who likes atmosphere and a great location I dont think you would be disappointed. Unfortunately I arrived quite late so didn't have a lot of time to fully appreciate the hotel. I'd certainly have eaten in the restaurant it had a great feel and the food looked and smelt fantastic. The staff were extremely friendly at check in and soon had me in my room. A spiral staircase takes you up to the rooms or you have the choice of a lift for those not keen on the climb. I stayed in room 5 which was on the third floor. The room is a reasonable size with a double bed, wall mounted plasma TV, Modern bath with shower and sink in the room with the toilet in a seperate room with a door. All the fittings are very contemporary and gave the room a very spacious and bright feel. The room was very clean with everything working as it should and I was very surprised how quiet the room was considering the location.

I had a couple of drinks in the first floor bar which was pretty quiet and only had a couple of other people customers. The bar had a good choice of drinks and the barman was very attentive and friendly.

When you consider that I paid less to stay here than I would at the local travel inn i'm really surprised that the place isn't fully booked all the time. I will certainly stay again and will bring my wife who is extremely fussy (I wouldn't take her to many places that I stay).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Regular_Trips
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The restaurant is a lovely place. Not only is the food excellent - and interesting - but the staff are great too. It's a pleasure to be somewhere where the wait staff really are proud to be there and (as my waitress said) everything is wonderful. Even the staff seemed to get excited at the thought of Fergus popping in.
I do worry that it's doing well - it's often empty even at peak dining times although my server said that it's now getting busier as they have a patio. That's good - the loss of this place would be significant. The food here is probably less adventerous than it's sister outlets, but it will still make you rethink your ideas about what good food is. Simple, tasty and not your normal cut of meat or type of vegetable.
I've never needed a reservation for the restuarant, and if you're passing through the area and unable to decide which of the many Chinatown eateries to head for - take a risk and go here. If nothing else it's a real experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PhileasFoggontour
Northamptonshire
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We booked on laterooms, and this hotel looked perfect for a stopover for 1 night.

The basic room's - the bath / Shower & wash basin is in the Bedroom, this may be ok for some, it lacks privacy?

The room was very clean, and new, and upon reading the detail on the St. John website, it is a no frills room.

Room 9 - unfortunately was constantly noisy, as there is a Heavy duty extraction / venting system right outside the window from one of the adjacent businesses and this ran constantly and was loud inside the room itself.

We complained the following day as initially we thought it was the extract from the hotel kitchen - and thought it would stop after dinner.

We did receive a complimentary breakfast due to the inconvenience, and the hotel manager was fully aware of the problem as they had received a number of complaints previously.
The service was very good, room was very clean & new; just check the room style before you book, and again don’t go in room 9 !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank feastfield
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The small dining room did not have much of a theme at all. Lacking decor, it was simple and understated with rustic wood floors and chairs to match, in contrast with a gleaming stainless steel open kitchen. The bright space with tables set in uniform close proximity grew increasingly more crowded and noisy as the night wore on. St. John felt trendy because it didn't try too hard, and the full house only affirmed its popularity.

Overall, we enjoyed our supper of modern British cuisine at St John Hotel, even though elements of certain dishes left a little something to be desired. It is evident the chefs possess sound kitchen techniques and a clear passion for nose to tail cooking. The portions are substantial and the food itself is rich and hearty. Come hungry.

Read more and view photos here: http://indulgeinspireimbibe.blogspot.com/2011/12/supper-st-john-hotel.html

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristen F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Anthony Bourdain listed St. John in Clerkenwell one of his favourite restaurants in the world...for those travellers who don't want to step outside of tourist-land, this gives brave diners the opportunity to sample Fergus Henderson's famous british cuisine.
A smaller more intimate room than the original Smithfield locale, the tables were tightly pushed together, and as odd as this seems, it made the room seem quieter and more conducive to conversation.
I started with pigs cheeks with chard on sourdough toast, while my dining companion had the crispy pigs ear with cod roe...the latter definitely better than mine. Both needed seasoning which was no problem with the salt and pepper grinders on the table. But, I missed the roasted marrow bones which always seem to be on the menu in Smithfield.
Mains were both "piggy" as well (as Jay Rayner would say), hers a shoulder of pork with lentils while my Middle White Chop with a potato/chard puree was absolutely outstanding...moist, perfectly cooked and oh so much flavour.
Desserts were a homemade caramel/chocolate slice and an "Eve's Pudding"...beautiful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends