“Great Food - Great Service”
Review of El Vaquero

El Vaquero
Ranked #2,573 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Argentinean, Barbecue, Brazilian, South American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Another fantastic evening, the service was brilliant, the food was excellent.
I just can't get enough of those chicken sausages and Brazilian beef. Wonderful large selection of fresh salads This restaurant is excellent value for money. A wonderful atmosphere.

I just read that last review thats utter rubbish I think the bloke was just after free meal, there's always one!!!

I definitely think Brazilian is best :)

R.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went as a small group for a friends b'day party. I had opted for fish (bream - v average and pre booked) whilst others had gone for meat.

On arrival, a female waitress discourteously directed us to our table, and immediately pushed some menus our way. Not a happy bunny we thought.

Still not happy, the waitress wanted to know immediately what our drink selection was. We hastily opted for wine and soft drinks.

The concept at El Vaquero is that you individually fill your plate up at a salad bar with waiters offering you a variety of skewered meat (lamb, chicken, pork, beef) cuts on your return.

As my fish wasn't ready, two of the waiters offered me a slice of beef & lamb. Why not I thought, and accepted. (assuming that they were being polite)

Returning to the table with the drinks, on seeing me eating meat, the female waitress nearly blew a gasket. 'no, no, no....you can't eat meat, you've ordered fish' she barked. 'You're not allowed to eat meat!' She then proceeded to dump the drinks down and went into full verse: 'We have two menus, one meat, one fish. You ordered fish, which means that you will eat fish. Your friends have ordered meats, which means that they will eat meat.....ok!'

Yes, but I was on the understanding that the male waiters had used their initiative, and offered me some beef & lamb as the fish hadn't arrived.

No, no, no....'this isn't how it works here', raising her voice a few octaves.

Other guests on other tables were starting to pay attention, to what now was becoming an unnecessary scene.

I replied that I wasn't happy being spoken to like that (as for the first time in years, I felt like I was back at school) and that I found her tone of voice / attitude, rude and offensive.

Would you like to speak to the manager, would you like to speak to the manager, she barked. Ok then.

The manager came over and explained how the system worked. Ok, so there has been a small understanding, I replied.....however, as it's my friends b'day celebration, I found your colleague rude and offensive. I'd also like to get on with celebrating my friends b'day. Oh, but she doesn't speak good English came the reply. Sure, so that makes it acceptable....I thought.

During the meal, nobody topped our wine glasses up and asked if the food was ok. Despite this, we still managed to have a good time....although the unnecessary event above left all of us feeling disappointed.

On paying the bill we noticed that the service charge (approx £18) was included. We all felt the manager should have discounted this, as token of good will....but then he was, in my opinion, clueless. We let this fly, as we're not a pedantic group, and didn't want to cause another scene.

On leaving, the manager was nowhere to be seen.

Bottom line: v rude staff, v poor service, v average meats, poor fish....totally overated.

Amateur set up....won't be going back :(

3  Thank Andrew605
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Still not happy, the waitess wanted to know immediately what our drink selection was.

We hastily opted for wine and soft drinks.

The concept at El Vaquero is that you individually fill your plate up at a salad bar with waiters offering you a variety of skewred meat (lamb, chicken, pork, beef) cuts on your return.

No, no, no....'this isn't how it works here', raising her voice a few octaves.

Other guests on other tables were starting to pay attention, to what now was becoming an unnecessery scene.

I replied that I wasn't happy bing spoken to like that (as for the first time in years, I felt like I was back at school) and that I found her tone of voice / attitude, rude and offensive.

Ok then.

The manager (guy wearing a pony tail) came over and explained how the system worked.

Oh, but she doesn't speak good English came the reply.

Sure, so that makes it acceptable....I thought.

Despite this, we still managed to have a good time....although the unnecessary event above left all of us feeling dissapointed.

On leaving, the manager (Simon ?) was nowhere to be seen.

Amateur set up....won't be going back :(

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nice ambiance,clean, friendly, kind and accommodating staff. The buffet offered a good variation to choose from which included healthy options. There was equally great choices of meats that were well done with authentic spicies, juicy and full of flavours. I would relive the moment any day.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I Visited for my first time the restaurant in whetstone last week with 3 friends and I was surprised by the quality of the food and the originality of the concept and atmosphere. Highly recommended if you fancy something different.
I lost count of the many different kind of meat they served us and we ended up having to tell to the waiters we couldn't eat no more. Every single piece of meat is worth to try, including the chicken hearts.
For next week I have my reservation for the mill hill restaurant already booked!!!