“Good cocktails but poor door staff”
Review of Bar Soho

Bar Soho
Ranked #11,969 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Bar Soho has been a favourite Old Compton Street haunt for years and is a quirky and fun cocktail bar. Its bullseye-central location helps but it’s the lively atmosphere that always hits home. A bustling venue of quirky interiors, the ever amped up party atmosphere is parallel to the off-kilter interiors. From bathtub and fairground ride loungers, to neon red hues, contemporary Victorian interiors and a dive bar inspired edge, Bar Soho is a unique venue in one of London's most unique areas. Bar Soho is the place to experience the whirlwind of Soho from the eye of the storm. Inside you’ll find atmosphere that’s relaxed during the day and pumping at night. Enjoy the wild festivities on fairground themed seating inside this colourful and cool party bar. As the sun goes down there’s DJ nights 7 days a week which never fail to get the crowd in the mood. Outside the bar, the small row of tables that line the pavement is people-watching heaven.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Really enjoyed this bar, good music and pretty good cocktails. We took advantage of the 2-for-1 happy hour which was very good value.

The only let down are the door staff, they are incredibly rude and condescending, typical 'bouncer' stereotype.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've tried Bar Soho twice now and after giving it a second shot I think I'm fairly convinced it's one of the worst places you can go out.

Drink prices are absolutely extorionate (yes, even for London) Plus the bar staff are unfriendly and seem to not want your custom

The bouncers are the least friendly people I've ever met. When I went in shortly after turning 18 they took ten minutes trying to figure out how old I was by my driver's license. I didn't think anyone over the age of 30 struggled with basic math but I've been proven wrong.

There was a lovely lady who worked for Bar Soho walking round offering shots for 5£ all night. Shocking to see that she's forced to wear fishnets and a corset for work, but maybe management don't consider that at all degrading. Felt a little sorry for her and her lack of dignity. Then she proceeded to walk away from me taking a swig from the bottle she'd just offered me a shot from. Where you find your staff? Honestly. If you think Bar Soho know anything about hygiene you're sadly mistaken.

Word to the wise. Don't visit the toilets they're worse than Glastonbury's on the last festival day.

Avoid this place for your own mental and physical health.

2  Thank abigailalicex
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This place is a great location for drinks either before, between or after shows. Or actually, anytime. They have a happy hour, there is a great range of cocktails and the staff are friendly, prompt and helpful. Try it.

1  Thank rivbom
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I was waiting for a friend after work and decided to walk in to order a beer before it got too crowded. A door on the street was open so I went through it. A man pulled me from my arm without even looking at me and dragged me on the street. He asked for my ID (I'm bloody 35 and it shows) and with the most pretentious tone he said I could not wear a beanie (2 degrees outside). Some other ladies showed up and he frisked their bags, confiscated bottles of water... I mean what's the deal with this place? A bar on Old Compton Street. I did not even want to get in. Avoid this place

4  Thank Gabriele G
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I would personally give this place a wide berth. A similar thing happened to us at the weekend whereby some of our group were refused entry and told to 'have a coffee and come back in 20 minutes' on account they were intoxicated. At 18.30 on a Saturday?

In truth the door staff have limited judgement and had no obvious criteria for admitting or omitting entry. It would be too easy to suggest that they're 'power-crazed' and a 'little bit dumb' but they were certainly doing their best to conform to the bouncer stereo type.

I went into the upstairs area of the bar and it wasn't particularly impressive anyway - stagnant atmosphere and very small. On account of what had happened we all decided to leave. Mercifully this didn't ruin the evening and we were able to find a swanky bar not too far away where everyone was welcomed and served drinks. How strange.

I've since spoken to the management team at Bar Soho who seem to think that all the reviews here are inaccurate, that their door policy is fine (albeit strict) and that they don't recognise Trip Advisor as a reputable source of customer reviews.

I wouldn't come here purely on account that if these reviews are true, it might ruin your evening. Too much of a risk. Bar Soho promote a daily happy hour and 50% off offers but should really caveat it with 'provided you don't get drunk ... and even if you're not, we might not let you in anyway'.

1  Thank SWP1978