“Good Accommodation Marred by Poor Service”

Ranked #424 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a week-long coach tour of Britain; reservations and payment were made by the Cosmos/Globus vacation group.

As with another Novotel in which we stayed while in the UK, this hotel suffered from a lack of English speaking staff at reception and in the dining room. Front desk could handle the basics with some effort but were unable to engage the guests/welcome them beyond a memorized script. In the dining room, wait staffs' command of the language was limited to coffee/tea - yes/no. A request for "no milk" was met with a blank stare as were other attempts to engage.

Seems Novotel has chosen to hire the lowest-cost staff without attention to ability and to forego the staff training that would foster a welcoming environment, relying on modern and well furnished rooms to make up for poor service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for staying at the Novotel London West as part of a Cosmos tour.

I was disappointed to read that you encountered language barrier with the hotel staff.

Novotel is a brand part of Accor’s international group and we strive to ensure an enjoyable stay to all our guests by providing employees speaking different languages.

I would like to confirm that although all the employees speak English, daily basis training is also being provided.

We hope to welcome you back on another Cosmos tour or maybe a private leisure stay and provide you with a genuine hassle-free stay.

Guest Relations Office

There are newer reviews for Novotel London West

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Let me start with the positives. The staff was great ... reception, bar, restaurant ... they were all very helpful and friendly. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner there at various times during my stay and it was great. Also, nice computers in the lobby although you have to email your boarding pass to a hotel email address to have it printed instead of having dedicated printers??? Bathrooms nice and clean. They give you shampoo, soap and body wash but no conditioner and lotion. Hairdryers were good.

Negatives: The one negative I can't get over is the bed. It was basically a box spring (felt like concrete) and a 4 inch mattress that was hard as a rock with two pillows that were flat as a pancakes.

I will also say as other users have said that there is a problem with the "Orange" internet connection. I was first in a room on the 8th floor and there was no WIFI. If I went outside my room and walked around the corner, the WIFI would connect. So they graciously switched me to the 4th floor which was better. I think they have said in previous reviews that they are changing providers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear valuable guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing your experience at the Novotel London West.

I am thrilled to read your comments in regards to the hotel staff and will happily share them with the employees.

I am also glad that you experienced breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel to have the opportunity to appreciate the different menus proposed.

I am however sorry that you did not enjoy the mattress in your bedroom. I hope you can appreciate that it can be hard to fulfil every guest’s requirements because everyone has different expectations in terms of mattress. Please do not hesitate to inform the Front Office upon checking on your next stay as I am sure they would be delighted to assist you.

Finally, I am happy to inform you that we have a new Wi-Fi connection free of charge in the public areas and all the bedrooms.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Officer

Reviewed May 13, 2013

A lovely property with clean spacious rooms. Breakfast has a wonderful selection to please even the fussiest person with lovely attentive staff. Very close to the underground for transport to see the sights & nice pubs nearby for meals. The only grumble I have is Internet isn't available in the rooms, only in public areas, quite mean I think as this isn't a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
EdwardHobson, Director of Sales at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

Further to the review you placed on TripAdvisor, I wanted to thank you for the feedback therein.

We've worked very hard on the product and our service delivery over the last four years and I'm delighted to see from your review that that work now seems to be paying off in the form of happy guests; our raison d'etre.

Thanks again for your feedback, it's very easy to critisise so we're all delighted to hear such positive comments as yours - very many thanks.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Never though I would actually like a Novotel Hotel, but London is so very expensive, we thought we had to drop our standard.
Finding it was easy, car parking is very expensive but once we had unloaded the car, we parked in a side street for the weekend which is free Friday evening til Monday morning.
The desk staff were fabulous, and the bar staff and waiters were most attentive.
We ate in the bar, portions are generous and good quality, could not fault it.
Rooms
We took an executive room, comfortable, roomy With a safe and a fridge ( though my sister thought the safe was a micro wave and spent quite a few minutes trying to warm some milk! We didnt tell her for a while)
On the whole it was a good experience, the tube was walking distance, and Hammersmith high street with the Appollo theatre is only a ten min stroll. We would definitely recommend it. Not luxury but everything you want and better than you would imagine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy B

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was very much a functional stay when I was down in London for business in Hammersmith. This hotel from the outside is massive and inside it did feel a little like an airport lounge. It's a new building and so is quite trendy inside. There is a restaurant, bar, shop and gym on the 1st floor.

The room itself was clean and functional. No added frills or extras, but nice enough.

I arrived late so had a bite to eat in the bar. The food was fine. Nothing amazing, just bog standard bar food.

There are computers for people to use in 20 minute slots on the 1st floor. Large Applemacs. Useful if you have to send a quick email because to access the wifi costs extra money otherwise (unless you upgrade to an executive suite).

I asked for a newspaper in the morning and was advised that there would be plenty available in the lounge. However, by 8 o clock in the morning, the only newspaper available was two copies of the Irish Times.

For a predictable business hotel this place is fine. It's nothing to write home about- but it was clean and provided food. And beer.

Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for staying at the Novotel London West whilst on a business trip.

The lobby has been refurbished to offer a wide open space to all our guests in order to enjoy all the facilities the hotel has to offer.

I am happy that you enjoyed the bedroom and appreciated a nice meal from the bar that recently proposes a new menu.

I am also delighted to inform you that the hotel offers now a Wi-Fi connection free of charge in the public areas and all the bedrooms in the hotel.

May I inform you that newspaper are available at the Lounge but also at the shop located on the 1st floor should you require some on your next stay.

Once again, thank you for your review and we will be happy to welcome you back soon.

Guest Relations Office

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel excellent, but, unfortunately, woken at 5.30 am by alarm call to guest next door. I know you can do nothing about this, but obviously sound-proofing between rooms should have been better at construction.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank JUNTH2013
EdwardHobson, Director of Sales at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed one night in an Executive Room on the 8th floor. Room clean comfortable, quiet. Air con wasn't really working so room quite hot. Plenty of toiletries provided in bathroom which had a shower rather than bath in room. The breakfast was excellent, buffet style and with a good choice and able to cater for a full dining room. Hotel conveniently located for tube etc but car parking was expensive - so be warned.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel London West and sharing your experience towards one of our Executive bedroom.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet which as you said offers plenty of choices in a buffet style.

After conducting several business plans I can confirm our car park rates are competitive within the area. You had the chance to enjoy a residential rate of £1.50 per hour, which is a very moderate price for West London. Car park rates are also clearly displayed at the entrance of the parking and on our website for your own perusal.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Guest Relations Officer