“Excellent hotel shame about reception service”

Novotel London West
Ranked #415 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is excellent if a bit pricey and in a convenient location for the West End of London. Reception service is a bit disappointing however. I was in a hurry to check out, there were two people on reception who were both engaged in checking in a large group while a queue of other guests were waiting to check out or have other queries taken care of. We were being ignored by both of the staff checking in the group. Eventually some more reception staff arrived to process us but we had to wait 10-15 minutes for it to happen. As I say, disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
EdwardHobson, Director of Sales at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

Further to the review you placed on TripAdvisor, I wanted to thank you for the feedback therein.

We've worked very hard on the product and our service delivery over the last four years and I'm delighted to see from your review that that work now seems to be paying off in the form of happy guests; our raison d'etre.

Thanks again for your feedback, it's very easy to critisise so we're all delighted to hear such positive comments as yours - very many thanks.

Kind regards,
E HOBSON

Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (3,954)

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights, underwhelmed by executive room. Good location near Hammersmith Tube Station and plenty of shopping/restaurants nearby. Free will-firm in lobby but not in rooms - bad luck if you cannot connect to wired internet! I had free access but could not use on my galaxy. Reception advised could use internet via television but next to useless.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Greg B
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I wish I could have an option of "good". Because it was "good". But I don't really have the heart to put average.

Basically I was here on business for two days and everything seemed to be managed well. The staff were efficiant and a credit to the hotel.

The cleanliness I felt could have been a lot better. There were marks on the bathroom services and the window ledge had a few cobwebs. The room in general didn't make me want to stay any extra nights.

The staff and breakfast bring the rating up to 4 stars as it was bearable and some perks like the food and general running of the place, even though it was EXTREMELY busy, were nice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel reception was disorganised, they can't even manage a basic queue. The room wasn't properly prepared so I had to make up my children's beds, was dirty and the air con didn't work. My complaints to two members of staff were ignored on the day, they didn't seem remotely interested.

Have also just had an email from Accor telling me I won't be getting any loyalty points as I booked through Expedia! The message positively revelled in telling me this. Don't use this hotel, don't use this chain unless you enjoy shabby treatment from beginning to end.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mike1810
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel almost a week. It’s a basic business hotel. Here are the pros and cons. I’ll come to the internet in a minute:

– Nice lobby/bar
– Stark/boring rooms (no art or charm).
– The rooms have plenty of space, but no drawers to put your things. You’ll be living out of your suitcase.
– Confortable Bed
– Stained carpets in the room, although it was clean
– Friendly staff
– Good breakfast, which is quite helpful if you're on the go. It's probably the hotel's best feature, along with it's location if you have business in the Hammersmith area.

The issue is the internet. Internet is offered in two forms. The first is a wireless internet, provided by a big British telecom called Orange. The signal didn’t reach my room. I called them up to get a router placed near my room. They told me quite directly that they couldn't be bothered.

As for the ethernet internet offered in the rooms, which is offered by a different provider – it’s quite slow and often stops for 5 to 15 minutes at a time. If you want to use Skype, forget it. Not only can’t you use video, but often you can’t use audio.

Also, if you were to try and send someone a file of, let's say, 5mb, you might not even be able to. And as I mentioned, the internet service would frequently stop all together.

The manager told me that they’re stuck with their current internet service until some time in 2013. This order has come down from the hotel owners (Accord) in France. He was quite frustrated by the situation.

He provided me my own conference room so I could make Skype calls – but the wifi in that room was also to slow for Skype.

In summary, I've stayed in hotels that were better and I've stayed in hotels that were worse.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank travelsalot1111
Reviewed November 8, 2012

the hotel was absolutely perfect totally renovated!the rooms are spacius and really good priced!there are some apple pcs in the lobby which you can use!many choices for breakfast!also wifi is available at no extra cost!highly recommended!also it is really close to the city by metro !

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
EdwardHobson, Director of Sales at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,