“Stay Away!”

Ranked #857 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Florida for now
“Stay Away!”
Reviewed January 6, 2007

As part of an airline's travel package, I selected the Tria Hotel because of its cost and acceptable reviews. I was traveling to London and later Paris, alone, to celebrate my birthday.

What a mistake to choose the Tria!

My threadbare, single room was drafty because of a broken window in the bathroom, and, worse yet, stone-cold the three nights I was there. I eventually came to understand that the desk clerk(s) controlled the thermostat for the entire hotel. (Perhaps this is standard in budget European hotels?) When the lobby was warm, she or he would turn down the thermostat. It was cold and rainy in London that week, and I am fortunate I didn't catch pneumonia.

Since I had to block the cold coming in from the bathroom window with one of the two towels they provided me, I had to ask for a clean bath towel each day, which I was given reluctantly.

The breakfast was adequate, because having been to London before, I knew I was in store for cereal, toast, and coffee.

The desk clerks weren't rude, exactly, but they exuded a "I don't care" attitude. They also misled me about the use of the phone in my room -- although I had a calling card, I still had to pay connection fees and a non-refundable deposit.

None of the clerks I encountered were British.

Just as miserable as the hotel was the seedy neighborhood in which it is located. I don't know if it was because of construction, or because late November is the off-season for tourists, the well-recommended Indian restaurant and Italian bistro just a couple of streets over from the Tria were closed. And, the Tube station closest to the Tria, Westbourne Park, had no security guards (or even ticket-sellers that I could see). The walk to it was a little hairy, again because of the renovation of apartment buildings and empty storefronts.

There was nothing open in the Tria's neighborhood at night, unless you count the Pizza Hut, a package store, and one smoky pub.

Again, I understand this area is undergoing gentrification, which accounts for the construction and closed storefronts. But I will not stay at the Tria and DO NOT recommend it for any traveler -- single, couples, or groups.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The cold, miserable hotel room.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank redstarrigel

Business
Edmonton
Reviewed January 2, 2007

The Tria hotel is beautifully located in the Kensington area of London. Upon arrival we were "greeted" by a dour slavic lady who was none too helpful in terms of providing directions or giving me any information on the neighbourhood. The room itself was tiny but clean. The bathroom was laughably small but my mom and I managed. It would have been helpful had we been given more than one towel each though -they refused to provide us with more even after we asked them. The television only had about 4 channels but it would seem this isn't uncommon in budget hotels in London. One good point was the internet access in the reception area was very cheap (equal to the rates charged in the cafes in the neighbourhood) so this was quite convenient. Also, my mother and I found the breakfast to be satisfactory however the "cafeteria" itself was rather cramped. Unfortunately, when it came time for us to leave and we asked the woman at the desk to call us a cab, we were met with a rather shady figure who arrived in an unmarked vehicle without a meter. He demanded 6 pounds (twice what it had cost us for the trip in a real cab) for any trip no matter how close. When I asked the staff to please call us a real cab she flatly refused much to my astonishment. There was some kind of agreement between the "chauffeur" and the hotel staff from what I could see. This was offputting to say the least. So in summary, not bad but for the cramped quarters and rude staff (incidentally, the male staff were much friendlier and more helpful.) If you are on a budget, I would recommend this hotel. And if you happen to speak Polish, perhaps the ladies will be more congenial to you.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The size of the room and the staff who (but for the men who worked there) were rude.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't ask for a double/twin room. It will be too small. And call your own taxi cab!
  • Stayed December 2006
2 Thank raskolnikova
Oslo
Reviewed December 15, 2006

Stayed at the Tria for 3 days late november.
A little hard to find, but that`s because it took me forever to admit defeat and get to an internet cafe and find a map online. After that it was easy.
Tria is a little hidden in a side street so there`s very little traffic noise.
The staff was very helpful and nice.
The rooms were clean and bigger than the price might suggest.
Bathroom was small, but nice, with a shower. Got fresh towels each morning.
Will recommend to all my friends.

• Liked — Quiet location, yet closse to "everything"
  • Disliked — A little hard to find unless you have excact map/directions
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a map online before you go so you don`t wander around. The sign that tells you that you are in St.Stephens street is a little hidden.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
Stockholm
Reviewed November 15, 2006

I was really worried when our driver didn't know where the hotel was. But once we got there I was pleasantly surprised, it looked nice. Check in was smooth, there was a lift up, the room was bigger than I thought. It was clean, and over all really pleasant. The bathroom was newly redone. Nothing was ruined or broken in any way. Although the room didn't have everything the hotel claim it would have (Radio,Tea & Coffee Equipment). The staff was pleasant and helpful when we asked for directions. I could easily go there again.

• Liked — The clean, well kept rooms.
  • Disliked — The location, but it was worth not living more central.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank N'Arianne
S. Wales U.K
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We stayed at the Tria for 1 night whilst visiting London to see a show. It was reasonably priced so we weren't expecting luxury. When we arrived we were greeted at reception and check-in went smoothly. The reception area was small and smelt a little of stale smoke but apart from that it was clean.

The rooms were small as stated by others in their reviews but adequate. Not may coat hangers were provided. The bathroom was quite nice with a shower and clean towels. There was also a wall mounted hairdryer.

Breakfast was a help yourself affair to tea, coffee and juice, whilst a waitress (without so much as a smile or a good morning) brought the toast. Maybe she couldn't speak english as most of the staff in London weren't English.

The hotel is well located with the bus stop just down the road and a tube station a little further away. I wouldn't say that there was a great choice of bars or restaurants in the immediate viccinity and found ourselves eating a take away pizza for our evening meal as the restaurants were closed by the time we arrived back after the show.

In my opinion we got what we paid for and providing your stay is for a short break this hotel is fine.

• Liked — price and convenient for transport
  • Disliked — room too small and basic
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank holady
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 28, 2006

We have just come back from a month in the UK. We were booked into the Tria for 3 nights as part of a package put together by our travel agent. Having read all the reviews on here I knew it wasn't going to be 4 star and it wasn't. The room was just big enough to walk around the bed and the bathroom was also very small, but adequate. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the garden on the other side of the street. It was quiet even though the bus route was at the end of the street. The buses come frequently and having a travel card made it easy to go anywhere in the city from there. There is a pub a minutes walk away as well as a good choice of restaurants. The receptionist was helpful whenever we asked for information and because our flight into London was so early we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel for the day and check in that evening. The breakfast was as described in previous reviews, though my husband asked for and got another piece of toast every morning. London is an expensive place and you get what you pay for. The Tria was fine for what we wanted - a place to sleep at night after a busy day siteseeing.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sioux22
Detroit area
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Having stayed at numerous budget hotels in the UK previously, I thought I knew what to expect from the Tria. Despite being situated in a great neighborhood, I was disapointed in the Tria, and would not stay there again. Problems begain immediately; we went to shower just after checking in, and found that the towels in the bathroom were dirty. This could have been overlooked if the staff had not been clearly annoyed by our polite request for 2 clean towels. The wake up call we requested for 3:30 pm didn't come until 3:30 am, less than desirable after a night on a plane. The door lock was duct taped together, and the TV we wanted only for weather and news never worked. Breakfast was a bowl of cornflakes, coffee, and 2 pieces of toast each that usually arived at the table long after cornflakes and coffee were gone. With the exception of the young man on the night desk, the staff was indifferent to the point of hostility. The one saving grace was the location, in a diverse lively neighborhood full of all types of restaurants and take away snacks of all kinds. This area is convenient to the Westbourne, Bayswater and other tube stations, Portobello market, and provides access to numerous bus routes. I will definitely stay in this area again but not at the Tria.

• Liked — Location, great neighborhood
  • Disliked — Dismal room, phone, TV, door broken, indifferent staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere, this area has many alternatives in general price range
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple