“Ticked all location boxes for us”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #226 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Canberra
“Ticked all location boxes for us”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked in here for a week, as we could walk to our various interests or easily get a bus or tube.
Our room was compact but adequate. We know how small some other hotel rooms are, and this had a full size bath and we requested a superior double overlooking the garden at the back, so it was quiet. Great that you can actually open the window if you wish.
Breakfast choice was very indulgent. A good energy boost for days of exploring. Walking only a few blocks to Harrods and being right across from the V&A was the icing on the cake. A sort of old fashioned decor and ambiance, but with all mod. cons. We had one of the newly refurbished rooms. A lovely comfortable base for our London week.

Room Tip: We had room 543, so can't comment on other types of rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LynnCanberra
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear LynnCanberra
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Rembrandt following your recent weeks stay. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our amazing location and that you found it ideal to navigate around the capital using the Underground and buses. We are perfectly situated for enjoying the local museums, Harrods and Hyde Park. However, we can also provide quiet accommodation overlooking small residential streets. I delighted that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and that it provided an energy boost for your busy days of exploring. I do hope you will consider using us again on your next trip.
Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I last stayed at this hotel some 22 years ago, so to draw a comparison would be unreasonable. However, its major attraction is still its location, in one of the best areas of London, with good public transport and within a 5 minute walk to South Kensington Underground Station on a direct line to the airport. It is also close to Harrods and Harvey Nichols stores and there is a wide choice of restaurants nearby. It is directly opposite the V and A and other major museums. You know you are in a posh part of London because the neighbouring streets are parked out with Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, luxury Mercedes and Beemers, Land Rovers and Mini Coopers, far outnumbering the more humble cars of the hoi polloi.

The hotel entrance is imposing leading to a rather drab and faded foyer. Apart from the odd sunny African, the hotel is almost wholly staffed by East Europeans and Russians, with attitudes to match, from the sullen and unsmiling receptionists to the gulag-grey clad waiters.

The room we were given was at the front of the building, small but comfortable looking, but with insufficient space for two suitcases. There was a large wardrobe but surprisingly and irritatingly for a stay of five days, no drawers at all. The beds had duvets that in a poorly ventilated room were unbearably hot at night, and the windows could only be opened a few inches. The “refurbished” bathroom was largish,but poorly laid out. The basin area had no space or shelves for toiletries and the taps that intriguingly gushed hot water from both hot and cold were antique ones dating from the 1960’s and difficult to operate, particularly in the plug area.

If you like an English breakfast, as I do, this is the place for you. It was excellent with a full and tasty range of eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, potato cakes and the ubiquitous baked beans. If you are a Continental, preferring something more elegant and less substantial, the pickings are meagre indeed and poorly presented - a choice of two or three different sliced meats, with the ham lumped high on a plate, and a choice of two plastic wrapped mini-cheeses. The fruit offerings consisted of two bowls of canned peaches and apricots, and for fresh fruit, there were plates of sliced oranges and water melon that looked like they had been attacked with a machete. The mini-muffins and the light and excellent mini-croissants were piled unattractively on top of each other, and in conformity with the mini theme, there was a choice of just three mini jars of honey, marmalade or jam.

In summary, this was poorly presented cafeteria style and had none of the elegance that could be expected from a four star hotel. This extended to the tables for two, crowded together and on a busy morning within clatter and chatter distance of fellow guests. The laminate topped tables had no tablecloths and the coffee was served in plain white mugs which I loathe. Whatever happened to English bone china cups and saucers?

I have one further gripe. I suspected that my credit card had been debited for the total cost of my stay on checking in, and specifically asked that this not be done as I wished to pay part of the cost on checking out with left-over pounds. In spite of an assurance, this was not done and I was charged upfront – something that I have not experienced in other quality hotels. Quite reasonably after a five night stay, I asked for a late check-out at 2 pm as I had an evening flight out to Singapore. The backstage Politburo had decreed that this could only be agreed to subject to a supplementary charge of 20 pounds, and on this issue, the stoney-faced receptionist could not be moved.

I can only suggest that management take a trip to Europe, the US and Asia, to learn how hotels operate there and what service, warmth and presentation mean, but I fear that this in not on the agenda of this hotel group which seems mainly interested in cutting to the bone and making as much profit as possible.

Maybe I’m spoiled, maybe it’s London, but as far as I’m concerned, this hotel does not tick all the boxes in spite of its favourable location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank borsa
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Borsa

Thank you for your extremely detailed review of The Rembrandt following your five night stay with us. The hotel has been operated by Sarova Hotels for the last thirty three years and during this time is has undergone many changes. Our aim is to provide comfortable accommodation, with friendly, professional service, in a fabulous location, providing good value for money. Situated between South Kensington and Knightsbridge underground stations we have fantastic transportation links for our guests so that they can easily explore all that London has to offer. In addition some of the capitals favorite landmarks are on our doorstep, the Victoria and Albert Museum, Hyde Park and Harrods, to name a few. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location, in one of the safest boroughs of London. Belatedly, I can only apologise that your stay, fell short of your expectations and that we failed to demonstrate our usually high standards of service and customer care. Your comments will be shared with all of the hotel team, to demonstrate how their actions can have such an impact. We constantly strive to make improvements in all areas to ensure that our guests enjoy a positive experience, leave with a good impression and are willing to return. I am sorry that this was not your experience and I would like to thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and it was in a great location. Very close to the tube, bus stop for the hop on hop off bus and central to many attractions. Enjoyed our stay at the Rembrandt , room was spacious and clean and had all that we required. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank SATraveller30
Dear SATraveller30
Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt following your four night break. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our location, close to the bus, tube and hop on hop off bus made sight seeing and travelling around London easy. I am delighted that we provided spacious, clean and comfortable accommodation and that you would definitely stay here again. Please come back soon.

Florence, Italy
Reviewed June 23, 2013

As others already said, very good location: tube very near, circle and district and piccadilly line, and bus stop just in front of the hotel. Useful buses no 14 and 74. Victoria and Albert just in front. I had booked an executive and they upgraded us to a larger room, which meant we had king sized bed with six pillows, a sofa , an armchair...all very good. Good bathroom, but with "fixed" shower, I mean no flexible. Telephones didn't work, but they fixed them in a few minutes. We asked twice for room service in the evening: menu had a large variety and all came hot, with good quality. Breakfast very good. Reception correct.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EMF0rsterFirenze
Dear EMF0rsterFirenze
Thank you for posting such a positive and descriptive review of The Rembrandt. I am so glad you enjoyed our location, we are extremely lucky to have such fantastic transportation links around the capital, the number 14 Bus, is also a twenty-four hour service which is always handy to know! I am pleased that we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade and that you enjoyed the larger bedroom. I am glad that you found our buffet breakfast to be very good and that you also enjoyed our Lounge Menu. I do hope you will consider using us again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times over the past two years. The last visit was in early Spring 2013 and it will definitely be the last time that I will stay there ......very disappointing.

The good - Fantastic location, across from Victoria and Albert Museum, a block from the Science Museum, 15 minute walk to Kensington Park and Palace, great restaurants, tube is 5 minutes walk. The buffet breakfast is outstanding.

The bad - the front desk service is mediocre at best, same goes for other services. they have this thing where you have to pay at the front desk twice during a visit .....once when you hit 1000 pounds and then when you check out.

The ugly - Our room was hot beyond belief even though it was early Spring and very cold outside. We felt like we were captive in a torture chamber with no escape. We had the windows open all the time (no screens) even at the risk of bats, air conditioning turned on full and it was still sweltering and stuffy. The only relief that I could get was if I lay on the floor in front of the door. A little bit of fresh air would seep under the closed door and give some relief. Never so happy to leave a place. Read later on trip advisor that this a common problem but the manager expressed surprise that I had this problem.

Worst hotel experience that I have ever had and we travel a lot....not what we expected for the price that we paid.

The previous two visits we did not have the heat problem but subsequently understood that it is a matter of room location (the old versus the new).

I complained three times. The last time the manager came. He offered to move rooms and I stupidly declined as we only had two days left and I did not want the hassle of packing up and maybe facing the same problem in another room. In compensation, he offered me a fruit basket......a banana, two apples and an orange (which I could get from the buffet in the morning). No rate reduction offers or refunds offered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Quyonriver
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Quyonriver,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt in Spring 2013.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our fantastic location. I am so sorry that on this occasion you were so disappointed, it is unacceptable that your bedroom was so uncomfortably hot that you could not sleep. Your bedroom was air-conditioned and this should have allowed you to cool the room to an ambient temperature. If the unit was faulty, then the only option available to us would have been to offer you an alternative bedroom.

I can only apologise that despite complaining we did not resolve the matter for you. I would welcome the opportunity to try and rectify your impression of The Rembrandt, as you had used us previously without complaint.
Please email me directly on ldenyer@sarova.com so that we can discuss future options.

Kind regards,
swindon
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Have visited The Rembrandt on many occassion and can,t find anything bad to say. Facilities are very good, clean with very helpful staff. Would recommend a weekend here. Within walking distance to town and beach, very quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swindon2705
Dear Swindon2705,

Thank you for your extremely positive review of The Rembrandt and for awarding us the perfect score.
I am delighted that you had a lovely, relaxing weekend and that all of our facilities met or exceeded your expectations.
I am pleased that the staff were friendly and helpful and that the hotel was clean and quiet. I do hope you will return and be able to stay longer than a weekend!

Kind regards,