“Good London Hotel Well Located”

London Marriott Hotel Kensington
Ranked #271 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I arrived in London at 5:30 am having travelled for 24 hours from Australia. I had been told by the Conference Organiser that I couldn't get an early check in without paying for an additional night.
On arrival at the hotel at 6:30 am, the check in staff were most accommodating giving me a room which as it turned out was at the back of the hotel on the ground floor. A most pleasant surprise and no extra cost. The room was clean, not overly large but comfortable. Heating was a bit noisy (it was -1C outside!) but efficient. My only complaint was that the toilet had not been cleaned since the last guest but this seemed to be a house cleaning oversight as room cleaning was exceptional during the following 4 days of my stay. My bed was very comfortable and being at the back of the property very quiet.
The staff are all very accommodating and well trained.
The conference centre is not fantastic but serviceable.
Breakfasts are excellent with a good selection of options as one would expect in a hotel of this size and chain. Hot food was hot and eggs cooked on request were as requested.
Dinner menu was a little disappointing and we only ate there because it was included in the conference cost. Steak was cooked way too much (very well done) and consequently tough to eat, but salads were OK.
Location is excellent with V&A, Natural Science Museum, Harrods and Buckingham Palace within walking distance. It is well serviced by 2 underground stations and buses along Cromwell Road.
My major complaint, as with most chain hotels in London, is the exorbitant cost of the wifi access. There is free wifi available in the lobby for one hour per 24 hours per device. Not good enough for business travellers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JVinOZ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for him to recuperate after a hernia op at the nearby Cromwell hospital. The room was very small but that's to be expected in such a central location. Quite a grim view of the rear of the hotel from our room (620).
The room was clean and comfortable and the bed extremely comfy.
Lunch in the bar was unremarkable, the philly steak sandwich very tough. Dinner in the Atrium restaurant better, but the restaurant was deserted...most guests I imagine will eat out when in such a central location.
Breakfast was ok but the scrambled eggs were stone cold.
The staff were all lovely, being very helpful when they saw my husband was having trouble walking after his operation.
I do object however to the 10% 'discretionary' service charge added to all restaurant bills. I much prefer to tip the staff directly as and when it is merited.
The location is ideal for sightseeing, with a huge Sainsbury's directly opposite which was very useful for us.
We would definitely return, hopefully under healthier circumstances!
Definitely recommended for anyone using the Cromwell Hospital as it is a 3 minute walk away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank loulouham
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted warmly and professionally by the reception staff. We were given a family suite on the 6th floor. After a long days travelling and sightseeing we arrived back to the room ready for a good sleep. The two kids slept but myself and my wife heard this continous humming noise like ventilation sounds...none stop and it even vibrated through the pillows. We obviously didnt want to disturb the kids as they'd sleep through anything.
Next morning tired and annoyed i headed to reception, the receptionist was genuinely caring, and said they hadnt had issues with noise on the 6th floor but do on the 8th. Without any hesitation she said they would move us even though they were pretty booked up as was evident.
We returned to find they had moved us to the 8th floor which was much worse. I immediately went back down to reception. They told us that they would move us again whiched turned out to be thier largest suite which was on the third floor. It was a super big room with 2 bathrooms , living room etc and best of all quiet.
They sorted the problem as professionally as they could, fantastic service. Brekkie was super, as was use of the executive lounge that you get when u book a family suite anyway. Free canapes and drink and internet access.
Location was excellent, close to glouster road and we even walked to harrods with our 4yr old in tow!
Avoid food in th stanthorpe pub accross from the tube station...

Room Tip: Dont accept a room on the 6-7-8 floors if your noise sensitive
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank amadainmhor
Reviewed February 10, 2013

London was my first stop on my vacation throughout Europe and this hotel started it off on a good note. Arriving at LHR after a 10 hour flight, I was ready to drop my bags and see the city of London. The hotel is very easy to get to from the airport via the Underground, the Piccadilly line and get off at Earls Court. As I entered the hotel, I was greeted by the door staff and shown to the front desk. The front agent was nice and professional and made check-in fast and efficient. The room was on the small size but it is London. The room had all the amenities that you except from a Marriott. The concierge was really helpful and suggested places and which order to see them to maximize my time. The location of the hotel is great located near two underground stations, makes it easy to explore the city. The hotel is also near a lot of places to eats.
The only negative thing is the internet is quite expensive. It would be nice to have free Wi-Fi in the lobby at least. There are two Starbucks that I found in the nearby area

Room Tip: try to ask for a room away from the fire door because at night the noise can be annoying of guest op...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank yolo415
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel is one of our favorites in London. Convenient to the Piccadilly Line, at Earls Court. The service is excellent, great breakfast. The concierge service is a bit average but, other than that a good selection. A favorite Pub is nearby... The Devonshire Arms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BonVoyage555
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I travelled from Heathrow using the piccadilly line (honestly, it makes no sense to travel any other way if your hotel is on this line) and walked down Cromwell Road to my hotel. I've stayed in a couple of other hotels in this area (the Kensington Rooms and the Holiday Inn) and would rank the Marriott as the best of the three.

The check in staff were very friendly and very thorough. My room was very nice and very clean.

The hotel is right across the road from a supermarket which I used to get something to eat. It's also a short walk to a bigger selection of eating places, opposite the Gloucester Road station.

My only complaint about this hotel is that they, much like many other hotels, charge way too much for the internet. You go to the sign in page and enter your name and room number which is all you need to do to connect at several other hotel chains (Hilton being one)...you are then taken to the payment screen where the internet is in the region of £20 a day.

I joined the Marriott rewards scheme upon check in, although I booked the hotel through priceline so they wouldn't count this stay towards my account! It seems to me like it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to give you free internet as a rewards member.

I ended up going to the Starbucks at Gloucester Road to have a cup of tea and use some free internet.

Otherwise, the hotel is great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've stayed here at least a dozen times before, and stayed here again for four nights on my first visit to London in four years. I love this place. The rooms are fairly large for London and I've always found them very comfortable. The soundproofing is very well done -- though the windows in my room open to the lobby and its atrium, which faces very busy Cromwell Road, I never heard even a whisper of noise. The breakfast buffet is good and I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

The location is hard to beat. The hotel is a 10-minute walk from the Natural History Museum, Science Museum, and Victoria and Albert Museum. It's a few minutes walk from the Gloucester Road Tube station on the Picadilly Line, which makes it very easy to get here from Heathrow (no change of trains needed) and to get anywhere in London.

You can walk to dozens of restaurants off Gloucester Road or Earl's Court Road. There's also a large Sainsbury's grocery store across the street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo