“Nice hotel”

Ranked #257 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Western part
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed January 21, 2008

The check in was handled efficiently. The room was nice and spacious. Actually, it has a pretty cool shower with 3 nozzles at various levels as well as a bathtub with shower.

We had the conciege lounge access. It is not on a separate floor and although it is a pleasant room, more could be done in the way of snacks and food. I expect a Holiday Inn Express offers more for breakfast.

The staff were friendly, the concierge was great, and I took a few walks around the hotel and area. It is a bit of a hike to the tube station, but there is a supermarket right across the street. Also, there's a laundromat across the street near the supermarket and away from the hotel a bit. If you want to wash your clothes, you have the chance to do it near this hotel. Yes, I know you can send it out with the hotel to do, but you can buy new clothes for what that costs and it is of little help when you are staying only one night.

Anyways, it was a nice hotel and a pleasant experience - but we only stayed one night.

• Liked — It was a nice, comfortable hotel, which was what we were looking for.
  • Disliked — The concierge lounge disappointed me....but still, it was
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank guy_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tacoma Washington
Reviewed January 5, 2008

London was our last stay after Paris and Jerusalem. I knew we would be winding down and would need a comfortable place to stay. The reviews I read said this hotel was close to being like an American hotel. I love Europe and "when in Rome...", but I wanted a comfortable place to end our vacation. This hotel was perfect. Roomy, an excellent location and the famous Marriott bed! The staff was so friendly and helpful; they helped with transportation to the airport as well as giving us excellent directions to tube stations, Starbucks, etc. We went downtown to view the fireworks on New Year's Eve and worried it might be a little crazy getting home afterwards. Not so. This hotel is a bit out of the way and not close to much ( except Harrod's!) but so accessible by the Underground. We will definitely stay here next time we are in London....

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Thank Mrs.Principal
Sonoma County
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I chose this hotel for a very brief London stopover on price and location. At about $300 (London!), it was almost $100 less per night than comparable hotels in town. The hotel itself appeared recently refurrbished, was extremely comfortable and service was excellent. I would have liked free Internet service but the provided breakfasts were ample. The hotel is on Cromwell Rd, a nondescript thoroughfare of no appeal. Biut it is very close to High Kensington and Earl's Court and an easy walk to the tube (Piccadilly line - which is also a straight shot to Heathrow).

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The room was very nice spacious and the service was pretty good at this hotel. The concierge suggested some very nice restaurants that were close by. The location was little farther than I expected from Harrods, but it was also windy that made it seem farther. The Sainsbury across the street was very nice to have though. The English breakfast is good and offers a lot if you have it in your rate, but I wouldn't pay £17.50, considering how bad the dollar is right now, for it. I only had a couple complaints. One was the hotel cleaning staff one day did not come to clean the room until five, when we just got back in and we had put the please service sign out that morning. The pull-out matress was very bad. It was very thin and lumpy and the sheets were not very warm and they don't provide a comforter for the pull-out, so I couldn't sleep very well. I would definitely suggest bringing your own warm blanket if you are going to be sleeping on the pull-out and are going in the colder months. The bathroom was bigger than I expected, it actually had a combination shower-bath and a shower on its own. There were some areas of what I thought was mold in the shower area and the ceiling was cracking quite a bit, but that is what happens in many bathrooms. The aromatherapy shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap were very nice. I think that I would stay here again.

• Liked — The room size
  • Disliked — The longer walk to Harrods
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank awesometraveler
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Admittedly, I chose this hotel based on a discount I got through a friend, and based on the location. But I found it to be very comfortable, very clean. I stayed at the Hilton Park Lane last year and thought this hotel was at least as nice. For the typical American traveler, they will probably find the rooms quite small, but you just have to realize that outside of the USA, bigger does not equate with better. Get used to it.

The best part was the location of the hotel...minutes to two tube stops (Gloucester Square and Earl's Court), across the street from a Sainsbury's and a few blocks to a Waitrose, walking distance to the V & A, Science Museum, Harrods, and Hyde Park.

The worst part was the room service food...absolutely terrible, not to mention overpriced, so avoid it at all costs. I generally don't complain about food, no matter how bland or uninspired, but this was truly awful. And I was served malt vinegar for my chips in a BOWL!!?

And watch out for lecherous single men while swimming in the pool alone. Gross.

• Liked — location!
  • Disliked — terrible room service food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Sarabic
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2007

We stayed here as part of a company Christmas party for one night on Saturday. The hotel is nicely designed in many ways, the foyer glass atrium is a wonder to behold. However the rooms are a slightly strange shape and size, comparitively small with very little room between the end of the double bed and the unit holding the television.

Also the rooms were FREEZING when we arrived, hotels usually have some heating on already to make it a more pleasnt arrival.
I turned on the heating and that sorted the temperature out after while but the bathroom remained extremely cold all the time. Many of my work colleagues mentioned this as being very strange indeed, even full blast heating and an open bathroom door didn't help much !

The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable, in fact I nodded off for an hour before the evening event. The staff seemed very friendly and all in all you can certainly do much worse in this city.

lee.wilson@gmail.com

• Liked — Lovely Strium, good location near to Earls Court.
  • Disliked — Small rooms and badly organised space wise
  • Stayed December 2007
1 Thank lee_bear
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Just returned from a weekend in London. I wouldn't get over-excited about this hotel. We got a good deal on lastminute.com but I believe when you book through a website at a lower rate then you end up with the inferior rooms. My husband and I are both non-smokers. I particularly hate smoke and no one smokes in my own house so obviously I booked a n/s room. However on arrival I was told that none was available. I was advised to check the room and if we weren't happy room service would come and open the window to freshen it up! What! How would that eliminate years of smoke. As soon as exiting the lift on the 7th floor the stench of smoke was overwhelming and the room even worse. I returned to reception and refused the room. Mysteriously a n/s room was then located, albeit with, I'm guessing, the worst view in the hotel the window only partially opened onto a flat roof and a smelly gutter ran beneath - punishment for being 'difficult' I imagine. Apart from all this the hotel was clean, concierge was excellent and location isn't bad. Didn't eat here at all so can't comment on the food.

• Liked — Nice area
  • Disliked — Room allocation
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family