“tired hotel”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #500 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 21, 2009

the price was right for the location, but the hotel is long past a make over. chiped paint, dirty carpets, small slow elevator, no ac. good resturants within walking distance of hotel. victoria station just 3 stops away by tube and also close to a busy street with cars all night long .flat screens in room but bathroom had mold in the tub . staff was helpfull and frendly. no safes in the room . safe deposite box was located behind ck in desk and I had to hand over my passport and wallet to ck in staff tobe put in safe and locked up by them with a key given to me .they should at least have a private room when lockup your things so nobody else can see it. street noise no air conditioning makes a noisy night.limited room service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank ESUWTC

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We were in London for a few days prior to a Trans-Atlantic cruise. We had not made advance reservations nor had any idea where to stay. But we wanted something reasonably priced, decent and close to the city center.
We inquired at the Hotel counter in Heathrow and they suggested this hotel and also made reservations.
Upon arrival we found this hotel to our liking.
The room & hotel was very clean, the furniture, rugs and decor were up-to-date and in good condition. Bathroom was excellent. Quiet & safe street and area.
The service was impeccable. The hotels services & dining room were very good.
We highly recommend this hotel and on our next visit we will stay there.
It was close to or easy to get to most of the best to see in London. Harrads was just up the street. Tube station a block away and a good bus route on Cromwell Road. Could walk to Buckingham Palace.
It has a 24-hour desk, very important I feel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I chose this hotel as I wanted somewhere special to stay for our wedding anniversary. A 4 star hotel in London seemed ideal . But the Grange Strathmore turned out to be a real disappointment. The pictures on the website are very misleading as is the information about the rooms. When you enter the hotel, the first thing you see is a once-grand Victorian building now with wallpaper hanging off walls and threadbare carpets in the hall and lounge areas. We stayed in room 112 which is a very grand room with 3 huge Victorian windows and a balcony. This was supposedly a superior room but was actually a family room with 3 beds. Paying the extra money for a superior room, I had expected bathrobes and a huge bed, maybe some chocs or flowers as it was our anniversary. What we got was a very small double bed with the worst mattress in the world, I could feel the springs through the sheets. The decor in the room was nice and there was coffee and biscuits but the bathrooms really disappoint. On the website, they are described as marble. Well, in reality here is not one bit of marble in them. The floor tiles are cheap vinyl designed to look like marble,and the bath and shower look like they were installed in the 1980s. The wall tiles are cracked and the worktop badly fitted, not what I expect from a 4 star London hotel. My husband and I were kept awake by constant water flowing through pipes all night, so had to change rooms the next day, a real hassle. The new room was slightly smaller as was the bathroom and closer to the main road and therefore noisier. The mattress was just as lumpy as the previous one, not conducive to a good night's sleep.

The staff are all foreign, clueless and not overly friendly. Not many smiles, they didn't appear to enjoy their jobs. When we checked in on Fri at 2pm, our room was not ready. We were kept hanging around with no explanation. Eventually, when I hassled the receptionist, she admitted there had been a fire in the hotel that morning and as a result, the cleaning schedule had got behind. Why not say so immediately? A little customer training is definitely in order here.

On the Sat morning, we awoke to find no hot water. My husband went down to reception to complain and was told the boiler had broken down. He was not offered any compensation, it was only on checking out on the Sunday morning that I discovered other guests had been offered a free breakfast by way of apology. Nobody had offered this to us. I was angry and complained to the manager who eventually agreed to a discount of 20% off the cost of that night's accommodation. I was not satisfied with this as breakfast at the hotel costs around £22 per person, but eventually had to settle for a free bottle of wine instead. What a lot of hassle for what should have been a lovely romantic weekend. I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only positives were the bar prices, small glass of wine £2.95, cheaper than local pubs, and the central location - very easy to get around, near the tube and buses and lovely buildings all around. Also close to Kensington Park.

We ate out for breakfast due to the hotel's exorbitant food prices. Try the Met Bar along Gloucester Road, trendy, friendly and nice food, they also have all the day's newspapers available. For dinner, there is also a good Italian on Cromwell Road. For cakes to die for, the patisserie near the tube station is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dottie_7
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Nice small hotel in a silent backstreet near Gloucester road metro station (3 tube lines).
We arrived late and even though our reservation consisted of two rooms only one
room was free. The lady at the reception managed to arrange two extra beds for the
first night. After that everything went fine. The staff was polite and helpful. There are many pubs and cafes nea, so if the breakfast (quite expensive) is not included in your reservation, you may have a short morning walk to Gloucester road.
One of our room was in basement and the other on fifth floor.
kensington park is only a few blocks away. Nottinghill and Postobello road are easily accessed by metro (two stops).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2009

The Grange Stathmore Hotel is NOT a four star hotel. It was an adequate hotel at most. My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights. We were assigned a twin room as part of our group. It was undoubtedly the SMALLEST hotel room I have ever had. My room was part of what was originally a large bay window. Our window was one of the sides of the bay, so the back wall had a pretty serious angle to it.. (Our friends-a mother and son- had the other side of the bay...and yes there as a room in between ours. It had to have been a single.) We traveled in carry on bags. I don't know how you could get a regular sized suitcase in the room, let alone open it. There was a narrow "hall", with a small closet, inside which was a trouser press, and two small nightstands, which means you had to shimmy past them into the room. There was a VERY narrow path around the two small twin beds (pushed together, but sheeted separately), the path was almost unpassable at one point....barely calf width). Opposite the beds was a desk and an armoire (really in a room this small, are three nightstands and a desk really necessary?). Staying tidy in this room was crucial, if one thing was left laying out, it was unbearable. The room was so tiny the kettle, cups and coffee were in a tiny cabinet mounted above the desk. There was a decent tv on the desk and a fan. The fan was NOT optional. This hotel does not have air conditioning and even with the window open it was stifling. The fan worked reasonably well, but it took up the whole desk (minus the tv) and blew everything about. The rooms furnishings were fine, mid grade quality. The bedding was decent and attractive...though again in a room this small 3 decorative pillows per bed is excessive...where in the heck do you store them?

The bath had maybe 2 1/2 feet square of floor space, which included the toilet. The shower was very small (you know the kind....soap the walls, spin and rinse), but the water pressure was good. The bath was clean and the amenities were well stocked and the towels were decent.

The staff was friendly enough but varied between incompetent and indifferent. The concierge was NEVER at the desk. In the middle of my stay I received a bill under my door. I called down to the front desk to ask why? The gentleman who answered said he would find out and call me back. Well 30 minutes later, there is a knock on my door. It is 8:30pm. After a long day of touring I was in my jammies and watching tv. I thought it was our friends from down the hall so my daughter answers the door (oh yeah...no peephole). There stands the "concierge". I was informed that I had not left a credit card when I checked in. No one ever asked for one. My bill at this point was a whopping 8 pounds, but at 8pm I had to change into clothes and go downstairs and give them a credit card. First, why did the concierge come to my room instead of calling me back? It was kind of creepy....not friendly. Secondly, could it not wait until morning at breakfast...I was with a group, I was not running away.

Every time we asked for information or directions they had NO IDEA and had to ask three or four people and THEN it would still be wrong. I advised others in my group to skip the concierge step as it was useless.

The breakfast staff was also hit or miss. There was one young lady with a "trainee waitress" badge on who was very sweet and helpful. The only other waitress in the room was brusque and not very friendly. When breakfast was ordered, they take your room number and then come back and tell you whether or not it is included in your rate. Every morning. Several in our group ordered full breakfasts only to be told 5 minutes later that it was not included in their meal. There HAS to be a better way to handle this procedure...maybe vouchers? The breakfast was very expensive if not included. We had the continental breakfast included. It cost 6 pounds extra for the full breakfast. On their own the continental breakfast was 18 pounds and the full breakfast (which includes the continental) was 24 pounds. Seriously? The continental included two or three pastry choices, toast, tea or coffee, cheeses, sliced meats, cereal and juice. That is it. 18 pounds. They cannot be serious.

The elevator is very small and slow. Luckily we were on the second floor so we were able to walk up and down the steps (though after a long day it was a long way up). Those on higher floors would be annoyed for sure.

All in all, I cannot recommend this hotel. It is too expensive and does not live up to its rating. If it were a two star hotel (maybe...a 3...a low 3) and were cheaper, I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009
3  Thank Judy L
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I have until now stayed at 8-10 different 3and4* hotels in Kensington areas and this is absolutely the very best. The breakfest was great. The staff friendly. The room was clean and the bathroom new and clean. The neighbourhood very nice and close to the tube. I will for sure stay here again. Thank you for showing me that a London hotel can be nice
;-)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank PiaEsbjerg
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Enjoyed my stay. Bedroom a bit cramped but well equipped and nice bathroom. Public rooms were impressive with ornate ceilings and covings, paintings, etc. but still managed to be cosy. Staff were pleasant and efficient. Breakfast was excellent - cooked to order but would be very expensive (23.95!) if not included in your package. Close to Gloucester Road tube, shops, restaurants, etc but down a side street so quiet. I would happily return.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business