“Comfortable with a great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange Strathmore Hotel

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #513 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Hampshire
“Comfortable with a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Booked it fairly last minute just looking for something close to Hyde Park. Room was huge with comfortable beds. Bathroom was a bit on the petite side though. Helpful staff - pleasant stay

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

The room size in this place was terrible, at least on the fifth floor where we were put. The bed was absolutely tiny for two people, and there was pretty much no room to even store our suitcases, and very inconvenient for hanging clothes, etc. To have this place as a four star is ridiculous! We also didn't appreciate the way the hotel made out that the rate was a certain price but in tiny letters pointed out that this was exclusive of VAT. Most of the staff we encountered seemed totally out of it and they had a very hard time understanding our reservation, which had involved booking an extra night - they still rang us on the morning of the second to last day to hassle us to leave! Service at breakfast was all over the place and many of the tables were tiny meaning you couldnt sit comfortably and there was no room for plates etc on the table. The continental breakfast was fine, but I would never consider paying 18 pounds for it if it wasn't included! There is no WIFI at this hotel and they charge 1pound for fifteen minutes for one computer. The location is good, but our room was noisy onto the street. It is quite nicely decorated but starting to get run down. Basically, this is OK as a three star hotel, if you don't suffer from claustrophobia, but no way as a four star and I would feel beyond ripped off paying the full price - wasn't too happy even at the reduced rate. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank nutella2

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Bury, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

I had some doubts about the hotel before visiting, from earlier reviews, but there was nothing to worry about.
I stayed in room 322 for 3 nights. It was plenty big enough, and the bathroom too, with both bath and shower. I hear that some of the rooms are smaller.
The hotel is in a quiet side-street, but only 3 minutes walk from Gloucester Road underground station, near which are many shops and cafes. I breakfasted there, as I had read that hotel breakfast was £19 for just continental.
Back to the room - Quiet. Firm bed with comfortable duvet. Satellite TV giving radio too. Tea/coffee-making facilities with goodies replaced daily (biscuits).
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend break with my partner, specifically requested a room not in the basement as I had read bad reviews on here about those rooms. Our room was fantastic, on the very top floor with a fantastic view of Kensington. The room cost £150 for both of us for 2 nights, which was a great deal and included a continental breakfast, which was actually not as bad as I expected! Two favorite things with this hotel, the view over Kensington and the bed! So comfortable! Negatives? the lift was tiny, could at most fit 3 people but you can cope with that! Our room was also not ready when we arrived but that was quickly sorted! Great location as the gloucester road tube station is literally across the road and buses to notting hill are around the corner! Altogether a great hotel, brilliant value and I will certainly be returning in the future!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Can’t fault the location as it’s very close to Gloucester Road tube, café, restaurants, bars and supermarkets. I booked via the hotel’s website and got a double room for £69 which included breakfast at the weekend but not during the week.

The reception area was very cramped, staff were pretty much OK but the room was tiny. The only place I could open my suitcase was on the bed. The shower was so tiny I could barely move in it, anybody more generously proportioned would struggle (did make me wonder how my 6’2” rugby playing OH coped when he stayed a couple of weeks earlier!)

Continental breakfast was buffet style and perfectly adequate but I ate at the café round the corner on the day my breakfast wasn’t included.

If price is your main consideration then it’s a good deal for this part of town but if you like space I’d say stay over the road at Fraser Suites.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

My wife and I booked the Grange Strathmore for a two day break. When we got to our room we were a bit shocked at the size as it was so small and the bathroom was tiny. The staff were friendly and seemed to want to help but could not offer an alternative. We decided to put up with it but wished we hadn't. There is no air conditioning and the room, despite it being cool outside was to hot. Opening the window let in the sound of the noisy London traffic. Noisy neighbours also meant a disturbed night. The bathroom had a shower so small that when you got inside it you could not move your arms making it almost unusable. The breakfast was OK. It is a shame about the hotel because the location is excellent and the staff are fine but this is a classic example of two many rooms being crammed in and the price for such a pathetic space is a joke.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pj270744
Lancashire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

My friend and I needed a place to stay for one night prior to a work event in London the following day, and our requirements were largely to find somewhere pleasant that wasn't going to cost the earth whilst also being fairly central for London so that we could make the most of being in the city on a Saturday night, where we were meeting up with other friends.

Though some booking sites indicated we wouldn't get a breakfast as part of our fee, which was a special rate of £69 (far better than most other prices we were being quoted for a twin room at less than a week's notice), it turned out upon checking in that we would, and the continental breakfast was about as good as I've seen, with a selection of pastries, cereals, yoghurts, fruit salads and fruit juices, plus tea, coffee and toast as requested.

That was one of the plus points of check in - a slight downside was that it took a little longer than expected to deal with the two groups in front of us (one of which was being told their room wasn't ready despite this being a good 30 minutes after advised check in time) and then when we came to be served, our receptionist walked off without warning and didn't come back for three or four minutes, but he was pleasant enough and we were in no rush so we didn't particularly mind. I think he was a bit rushed as he also forget to hand back my credit card, but luckily his colleague helped him out by returning it to me!

As others have indicated, this probably isn't a hotel of 4* standard, but it certainly is no worse than 3*, as though the decor is starting to show signs of age (particularly the carpets), it has evidently been thoughtfully decorated to start with, and most of all, the hotel is very clean.

The rooms (including en suite bathrooms which are purely a sink, toilet and shower) are all well kept and very clean, and we were pleased to find a Corby Trouser Press in the room as we needed to utilise this prior to our event the following day. The well sized TV provides all three Sky Sports channels, which is a bonus for people who want to catch any live games during their stay, and the lobby bar (which we didn't use) appeared to be showing sport for much of the time as we were passing.

Some reviews have complained about the concierge regularly being away from his post, which amused us somewhat as we never normally need to make use of such a service while we're away, but the two men we saw manning the post seemed perennially busy, so it's probably unfair of other reviewers to have criticised them for being constantly on the go.

The hotel is located in a lively area of Kensington - about three minutes away on foot from the nearest tube station (Gloucester Road) and its surrounds, which include a Tesco Express, several bars, and numerous takeaways/cafes. In spite of (or in addition to) this, the hotel itself sits on a quiet side street to keep noise levels to a minimum, and our room happened to overlook a typical inner London park, fenced in with trees and sitting areas, which made for a pleasant backdrop. The only noise during the night came from the fact that there was a little bit of a gap under our door and the fact that we were close to the lift. I'm sure this could be rectified by placing your baggage by the door - possibly a sensible move given that there isn't a great deal of room to place the bags anywhere else (based on the third floor twin room we occupied).

The night we stayed, in late March, wasn't a particularly warm night, but the hotel itself was very warm. This was tempered by opening our bedroom window, and as we overlooked a quiet area, we didn't notice any undue noise from outside. This may, of course, be different if your room is on the front of the hotel.

If I ever need to stay in this area of London again and need a reasonably well priced option, I would happily book here again, provided I had someone to split the cost with, as there are certainly cheaper single options if you look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business