“long weekend in london”

Ranked #508 of 1,064 Hotels in London
wales
“long weekend in london”
Reviewed January 25, 2009

excellent location,5 minute walk from gloucester rd tube.lovely old buiding in nice area.room small but clean and warm ,bed was really comfortable,no bath in our room-good shower,also a bit small. check in and check out was efficient.didn`t really use bar or restaurant faclities.short walk to V&A,science and natural history museums and if feeling energetic can easily walk to city centre.tesco extra close for snacks and pub next to that was quite nice but sorry cannot remember it`s name

Stayed January 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
Kent
Reviewed January 15, 2009

From the moment my mother and myself entered the hotel, we knew that it was right for us....this was very important to me as my mother is very elderly and comfort is upermost! We had booked a twin room for an overnight stay.... the room was clean, warm and very comfortable... We had a meal in the evening... and although the menu was not that extensive, the food that was served was nicely cooked and there was plenty of it. After spending a very quiet, comfortable night... in the morning took a shower, bags of hot water, lovely soft white towels to dry ourselves on, this was followed by a very good english breakfast before leaving the hotel... All the staff were extreemly nice and very polite... nothing was too much trouble for them..... we would go back there without a doubt... Very good value for money.

• Liked — the warm feeling the hotel radiated
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed December 19, 2008

When I booked this room, I wasn’t expecting a lot as the offer was for a small room in London. The room was tiny, with a small single bed, a bathroom the size of a cupboard and paper thin walls. The room itself was clean and in good order, hotel staff were friendly but as I stayed over the Christmas period in a cheap hotel, the clientele left a lot to be desired and kept me awake most the night with drunken behaviour.

I would never stay here again and reinforces the old saying ‘you get what you pay for’!!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank kent1973

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Just needed a place to put our heads, so was looking for value rather than sumptuousness. Location is beautiful. I am biased, I find London the most stunning city, and the area this hotel is located in is one of the many reasons why I think so.

The first impression of the hotel, walking in through the hallway down a long narrow corridor to the reception desk was - well is was Scottish.... tartan absolutely everywhere. The check-in was very friendly, if a little bit confused. They confused the names and genders of our party so that the men became Mrs and the women became Mr - it caused much hilarity during the check out process the next day.

The rooms are truly tiny. You have to climb over the bed to get to the window, and there's barely room to open the shower door without falling into the toilet. But it was only a place to put our heads for the night, and for the price, it was adequate. It came as a shock when there was no hot water for the shower, but the hotel were quick to get this fixed.

The bar had a nice buzz to it, with many of the hotel guests choosing to finish off their evening in there. The service was possibly the slowest bar service of all time - apparantly a shift change meant that we had to wait over an hour for a drink - although were weren't altogether sure why... and we weren't in any hurry.

While it is probably the most calamatous hotel stay I've had in London, there was humour in the place as well as enough tartan to make me feel as if I was in the clutch of my forefathers, and for the rock bottom price we paid, at least the place was immensely friendly, clean, quiet and well located. I think it could become a quirky favourite of mine oddly enough.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ME13
Brighton
Reviewed October 3, 2008

This is part of the Grange Hotel chain and I had stayed in their City Grange hotel which was excellent. So although previous reviews indicate differing opinions I picked it for a Monday night stay as it was a good price for London (£70 approx room only). What irked me about the hotel is that it has it all going for it (great location, nice building) and yet they mess it up with drab, faded decor, disinterested staff who just seemed to listlessly hang around, and a grotty reception with damp patches and peeling wallpaper. Some attempts were made in the room to give it a 'luxurious' feel (an excess of satin cushions on top of the pillows) but then the extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work - and in a 4-person room I can foresee that being an issue.
That said, I will keep trying this chain of hotels if their prices stay competitive.....but just take their 4* 'self-rating' with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank HisFussiness
Fife
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Booked a two night theatre break through the hotel's own website. Got an excellent deal which I thought was great value for money. Hotel is in an excellent location just two minute walk from Gloucester Road tube station, lots of cafes close by and a Tesco express to get goodies for the train journey home!

The room was very small but clean and the beds were very comfy. Not much room to walk around but as you just sleep here its okay. You should not be spending any time in your hotel anyway in London as its a fantastic city to see!

Continental breakfast was included in our price which was great. You could have paid extra to get a full english. There was toast, cereals, danish pastries, crossiants, hams and cheese, fruit juice and tea and coffee.

I would recommend this hotel for a weekend break. My friend and I hope to go back to London very soon for another theatre break and would definitely book this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Staff were great when we arrived, helped us with our luggage and gave us directions to the park our car. Hotel is in great location, two minutes or less from the tube and a short walk from the car park closest carpark at snazzy hotel round the corder.

Tiny elevator up to our small room on the top floor, ok for 1 or 2 nights but would be difficult (and messy with all my stuff!) for more than that. Being on the top floor meant no noise from traffic but also very little natural light from the high windows, but minor complaint really as the overall decor was lovely and well thought out. I think 'cosy' is the operative word.

The best thing was the bed. Down quilt, runners and the softest pillows, like getting in to a hug, dare I say it, more comfortable than my own bed which I rate highly!

The hotel itself is beautiful, traditional interior and attentive staff.

I'd also recommend the chip shop opposite the tube, great fish & chips, lovely owner and just a short walk from the hotel, open until midnight for a short stop there before going back to the hotel after a night out.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family