“Enjoyed Our 5 Night Stay”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #497 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Newtown
“Enjoyed Our 5 Night Stay”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed five nights at this hotel.

The hotel is very close to the Gloucester Road tube station. It's less than a 5 minute walk. South Kensington tube station is also close by ... more like a 10 minute walk. The hotel was very easy to find once we got off the tube. We arrived at the hotel about 10:30 a.m. on a Tuesday morning after flying from the U.S. We were not able to check in since check in time was 2:00 p.m. but were able to leave our luggage. We returned to the hotel at 1:30 p.m. and our room was ready. I had reserved a room with 2 twins and we were surprised when we got to our room that we had a triple - two twins and a double! That was truly a nice surprise! It gave us extra room. And since there is very little closet space the extra twin bed came in handy to store our things on. Yes there is no air-conditioning at this hotel but we were there in late June and did not find it a problem. Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked Queen's Gate Garden Road. The bathroom is small but did not present a problem for us (I was traveling with my 18 year old niece). The room was nicely decorated. In fact, I found the rest of the hotel to be well decorated and extremely clean. The elevator is small as others have stated. Four people can fit in it or two people and two suitcases. Isn't this typical for smaller London hotels? I did not have a problem with this.

The hotel is located in a residential section and right off of Cromwell Road. This is nice because you do not have a lot of street noise. Our stay included continental breakfast for two mornings. There was plenty to eat and typical London continental breakfast with meats and cheeses. On my booking confirmation it had a "C" on Friday and Saturday and I thought it meant I had continental breakfasts on those two days. Reception explained to me that it meant it was for the following day - hence Saturday and Sunday. Since we were leaving the hotel at 6 a.m. on Sunday we would not be partaking in the breakfast and I asked if we could have it for Friday and Saturday instead. They accommodated my request and I was very pleased.

How I chose this hotel? My friend recommended this hotel to me. She had stayed there in 2012. Her description of the hotel was: "very traditional, no air conditioning, nice, but smallish rooms, but very quaint. Service was very good and they have a very nice space for breakfast. Very reasonable compared to other places we checked out."

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at Grange Strathmore. The price for my five nights was reasonable (approximately £155/night - I booked directly through the hotel's website in late February for my trip in mid June). I agree with my friend - the price was reasonable given other hotels I had checked out. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. I really liked the location of the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a hotel in the South Kensington area and would stay there again when I travel to London.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Finnish first
St. Bees, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon on an incredibly hot day (unusual for London!). I used google maps to find the hotel which was out by about 100 yards! I have submitted a correction, but would advise you search for the address rather than the hotel name.

The hotel is not far from the Gloucester Road underground station at the extreme of the Zone 1 tube region. Or if you like walking is about 90 minutes walk from Euston station. It is extremely close to Imperial college, the Natural History Museum, the Royal Albert Hall and only 5 minutes walk from Hyde Park.

I paid around £125 for the room and continental breakfast. My room was on the 5th floor and was tiny, but adequate for a single night. The room was well furnished, well decorated and extremely clean, but the furniture and bed was rather squashed into the space. The windows were very high up and difficult to see out of, I suspect this was part of the servant's quarters when it was owned by the late queen mother's father. I could just make out the tops of trees in the park opposite the hotel through the window. The room included a kettle, cup, saucer, spoon, tea, coffee and milk in a wall mounted cabinet. The desk was very small, only just large enough for my laptop and the kettle after I moved the usual hotel guides (etc.) off of it, but it had a convenient power socket. There was no air-conditioning which in the extreme heat made it difficult to work.

The bathroom was also extremely clean but small and the shower had to be stepped up into it, the step being almost a foot high. The bathroom included good quality toiletries. The shower had good pressure, but took a several minutes to warm up. When it did warm up the water temperature was stable for over 10 minutes.

I was surprised that the wifi charge was £10 per day, this seems a high cost for what I would expect to be free in a quality hotel. However, the room service charges were very reasonable for London; £6 for a large sandwich, £4 for a litre of sparking water and £2 for delivery.

Although the area is reasonably quiet for London and my room faced the park, the noise of cars and other returning guests in the corridor was distracting, but I do live in a very quiet seaside village so am probably sensitive to such urban noises.

The breakfast is a cold buffet (£15 if not included in your rate) which I found to have a good selection, but for a £5 supplement you can order a cooked breakfast. The buffet was good and the waiters were very attentive offering extra coffee, toast etc.

Overall I felt the wifi charges and breakfast were expensive and the room cramped, but for London not unusually so. I would stay there again if lecturing at Imperial in future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert M
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Superior room on the 5th floor was tiny with a lethal step down into it (no sign on the door as with others on the floor) and no air-con as advertised. This was the hottest day of the year so far! On questioning the staff replied that "Superior" meant "Standard" !! I don't think the Engish Dictionary would agree! On the positive side the staff were very helpful and cheerful and the hotel was clean and in an excellent location for the Royal Albert Hall.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have more windows and therefore air movement
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms were well set up, however on arrival the staff were very unfriendly. They gave the impression that we were an inconvenience to them. The room on arrival had a stain on the duvet cover and a massive tuft of hair on the floor. The washbasin would not empty and when we pulled the plug up, the most disgusting amount of hair and rubbish came with it. Overall not impressed with this place at all.

Room Tip: book elsewhere i would suggest.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

6 of us stayed at the Grange Hotel for 2 nights and enjoyed a really great stay. the hotel had been re-decorated since our visit in 2012 and we all felt it was much better for it.
we had rooms on the 1st, 3rd and 5th floors. Mine was on the 1st floor and looked out over the rear of the hotel. all of our rooms were hot - the hotel doesn't have Air-conditioning, but thanks to a fan in the room and a draft through our windows, the room was comfortable. The room was nicely decorated and though small, it was very clean and tidy. The hotel got hotter the higher you went - my friend on the 5th floor said she was very hot despite the fans.
The staff on reception were very pleasant and welcoming and we were checked in promptly and courteously even though we had arrived about half an hour before the usual check-in time.
The concierges were also very helpful - 1 arranged a taxi for me and another was very quick to come up to my room after the door handle fell off! He came up and brought all the right tools and had it fixed cheerfully and very quickly - Very well done!!!
We had Continental breakfast in the hotel and it was really great. we did have to wait a little (probably not even 5 minutes!) as we didn't get down until about 9.30 and there weren't any tables cleared. the staff were pleasant but it did take them a few minutes to get our tea and toast organised. the buffet was rather decimated, but the meats and cheeses were fresh, the fruit was plentiful and a good choice of cereal and yoghurts. I have to compliment the hotel on its croissants - they were just lovely. sometimes you get them and they are soggy or dry, but these were just about perfect. 1 thing was the juices were about empty and without prompting, the staff didn't fill them.
overall a really good stay. : )

Room Tip: If it is hot, ask for a lower floor room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The room was a closet with a view... Of someone else's apartment. For two nights i watched a woman wash dishes, and a nude couple next door to her. In my own room, i got woken up by neighbors having sex at 5am, and by a random phone call to my room at 6am the next morning. The walls are paper thin, the shower is suitable only for small children. I am 5 feet tall, and had trouble fitting into the room. The internet is charged per hour, the breakfast is 20 pounds, and the concierge despises you on unknown grounds. Reception takes 20 minutes to check you out, after several failed attempts, and then kicks you out of the common area after you've checked out. The rate wasnt bad for london, and now i know why!

• Stayed July 2013
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in London for 2 nights putting in a mini holiday while sorting out some VISA business.

I have to start my review by saying I was torn between three and four stars for my overall review, but I do like to be fair! The location of this hotel is one of the best in London I have ever stayed in. The street is quiet and close to key areas and attractions and tube stations etc - really couldn't be better from that point of view. The building itself is a wonderful example of its time, once owned by the Queen Mother's father. The public areas are quite outstanding. The bar and the dining room are both beautifully appointed with lots of period features like fireplaces and glorious coving. All of the furnishings are of a very high standard (drapes, couches etc) and the walls are hung with lovely Victorian (and earlier) engravings and etchings as well as paintings in keeping with the family history of the house.

There is an extremely helpful concierge desk and reception were polite, helpful and efficient. We had left behind some documents and had to have them sent up by mail - all dealt with without fuss or incident - documents were in our room when we returned. We also checked in very early and the concierge was more than happy to hold our luggage in a locked room.

Continental breakfast was included with a choice of 3 cereals, fresh fruit, fruit salad, fruit juices, yoghurts, small danish pastries or croissants, tea and coffee/toast brought to order fresh to your table, small breakfast rolls, cold meats and cheese. You could upgrade to a full english (for some outrageous cost like £20!), but I did not see anyone doing this (unsurprisingly) so cannot comment. It says something about a place when the morning staff are cheerful, and they were as cheerful as could reasonably be expected, served everyone efficiently and ran the breakfast like clockwork.

It is when we get into the room itself that we almost laughed. London rooms are well known to be small, but this was, without a shadow of doubt or any exaggeration the smallest I have ever seen anywhere. When we opened the door my husband almost hit the bed and fell over it. The furnishings were absolutely first class - heavy drapes, blinds, thick bed linen - I did find the almost pathalogical obsession with pointless scatter cushions a bit odd - completely superfluous and unnecessary.

Behind the door once you closed it was a small desk of sorts and a fold down cabinet on the wall which had tea and coffee (no biscuits/water etc which i found slightly miffing for a 4* hotel). There was a cupboard serving as a wardrobe at the end of the bed which you could just about open the doors of against the bottom of the bed, and a small bedside table on the window wall. To walk around the bed, I had to side step along the bottom and then squeeze sideways up the other side between the bed and the window. I am no light weight, but I'm not that big! Nice size television. The bathroom was slightly larger than the bedroom might have led me to expect. However lack of space meant that towels were folded up and placed on a small shelf at the back of the toilet with a box of tissues, spare loo roll piled on top. Toiletries supplied were very nice and topped up each day - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower cap. The one time I ever actually needed a little sewing kit was the one time I did not get one! As there was nowhere to hang a towel to dry we needed fresh each day which was no problem, but a bit wasteful.

There was no heating or air con in the room - I imagine it might get rather hot - although the weather was not sunny and lovely, it was more comfortable sleeping with the window open. I had to chuckle when, in the wardrobe (which I discovered while sitting on the floor of it to put my shoes on - the only option really!) I discovered a large electric fan - obviously the way to keep cool if it IS too hot. You couldn't use it as there would be nowhere to balance the thing! There was also an optimistic iron rack - empty as there would be no physically possible way to put an ironing board up in the room though I have no doubt the staff would fetch you one if you wanted it!

The hotel was spotlessly clean in all areas.

In short, the place was let down by the impossibly small size of the rooms. Due to the fact there is a small lift, concierge desk and reception, this place has managed a 4* rating, but I can't help feeling it is REALLY a 3* in a shiny suit.

We got a very good deal and could have paid a lot more than we did, but I would have been hacked off if I had.

I cannot imagine a business person needing to work at the desk being comfortable at all and I would not want to stay more than a night or two as it is just too cramped.

Room Tip: Specify that you do not want a basement room - try and get third floor and up.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple