“A closet with a view”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #508 of 1,064 Hotels in London
“A closet with a view”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The room was a closet with a view... Of someone else's apartment. For two nights i watched a woman wash dishes, and a nude couple next door to her. In my own room, i got woken up by neighbors having sex at 5am, and by a random phone call to my room at 6am the next morning. The walls are paper thin, the shower is suitable only for small children. I am 5 feet tall, and had trouble fitting into the room. The internet is charged per hour, the breakfast is 20 pounds, and the concierge despises you on unknown grounds. Reception takes 20 minutes to check you out, after several failed attempts, and then kicks you out of the common area after you've checked out. The rate wasnt bad for london, and now i know why!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in London for 2 nights putting in a mini holiday while sorting out some VISA business.

I have to start my review by saying I was torn between three and four stars for my overall review, but I do like to be fair! The location of this hotel is one of the best in London I have ever stayed in. The street is quiet and close to key areas and attractions and tube stations etc - really couldn't be better from that point of view. The building itself is a wonderful example of its time, once owned by the Queen Mother's father. The public areas are quite outstanding. The bar and the dining room are both beautifully appointed with lots of period features like fireplaces and glorious coving. All of the furnishings are of a very high standard (drapes, couches etc) and the walls are hung with lovely Victorian (and earlier) engravings and etchings as well as paintings in keeping with the family history of the house.

There is an extremely helpful concierge desk and reception were polite, helpful and efficient. We had left behind some documents and had to have them sent up by mail - all dealt with without fuss or incident - documents were in our room when we returned. We also checked in very early and the concierge was more than happy to hold our luggage in a locked room.

Continental breakfast was included with a choice of 3 cereals, fresh fruit, fruit salad, fruit juices, yoghurts, small danish pastries or croissants, tea and coffee/toast brought to order fresh to your table, small breakfast rolls, cold meats and cheese. You could upgrade to a full english (for some outrageous cost like £20!), but I did not see anyone doing this (unsurprisingly) so cannot comment. It says something about a place when the morning staff are cheerful, and they were as cheerful as could reasonably be expected, served everyone efficiently and ran the breakfast like clockwork.

It is when we get into the room itself that we almost laughed. London rooms are well known to be small, but this was, without a shadow of doubt or any exaggeration the smallest I have ever seen anywhere. When we opened the door my husband almost hit the bed and fell over it. The furnishings were absolutely first class - heavy drapes, blinds, thick bed linen - I did find the almost pathalogical obsession with pointless scatter cushions a bit odd - completely superfluous and unnecessary.

Behind the door once you closed it was a small desk of sorts and a fold down cabinet on the wall which had tea and coffee (no biscuits/water etc which i found slightly miffing for a 4* hotel). There was a cupboard serving as a wardrobe at the end of the bed which you could just about open the doors of against the bottom of the bed, and a small bedside table on the window wall. To walk around the bed, I had to side step along the bottom and then squeeze sideways up the other side between the bed and the window. I am no light weight, but I'm not that big! Nice size television. The bathroom was slightly larger than the bedroom might have led me to expect. However lack of space meant that towels were folded up and placed on a small shelf at the back of the toilet with a box of tissues, spare loo roll piled on top. Toiletries supplied were very nice and topped up each day - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower cap. The one time I ever actually needed a little sewing kit was the one time I did not get one! As there was nowhere to hang a towel to dry we needed fresh each day which was no problem, but a bit wasteful.

There was no heating or air con in the room - I imagine it might get rather hot - although the weather was not sunny and lovely, it was more comfortable sleeping with the window open. I had to chuckle when, in the wardrobe (which I discovered while sitting on the floor of it to put my shoes on - the only option really!) I discovered a large electric fan - obviously the way to keep cool if it IS too hot. You couldn't use it as there would be nowhere to balance the thing! There was also an optimistic iron rack - empty as there would be no physically possible way to put an ironing board up in the room though I have no doubt the staff would fetch you one if you wanted it!

The hotel was spotlessly clean in all areas.

In short, the place was let down by the impossibly small size of the rooms. Due to the fact there is a small lift, concierge desk and reception, this place has managed a 4* rating, but I can't help feeling it is REALLY a 3* in a shiny suit.

We got a very good deal and could have paid a lot more than we did, but I would have been hacked off if I had.

I cannot imagine a business person needing to work at the desk being comfortable at all and I would not want to stay more than a night or two as it is just too cramped.

Room Tip: Specify that you do not want a basement room - try and get third floor and up.
1 Thank justinelaws
Manchester, UK
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in this wonderful hotel for one night. The hotel is situated in South Kensington, very close to Gloucester Road tube station which is two minutes walk away. When you enter the hotel it is just fantastic with so many beautiful paintings. The setting is exquisite. I stayed in a single room which was on the 5th floor. The room was very small and cramped, hardly any room to stretch ones legs. It was very clean, but would have preferred more space. The continental breakfast was great and mostly buffet style. Overlall a great place and would be even better if you can afford a larger room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a gem of a hotel they must have the most helpful and friendly staff in London, nothing was too much trouble for them and it was nice to actually see staff in london hotels smile and look like they enjoyed thier work. The hotel was spotless, the buffet breakfast very good, had a double standard room which was very good. The location is great for the tube and lots of cafes,( even staff in the cafes very good especially Byrons burger place) shops etc and tourist attractions would certainly go back to this hotel.

norfolk england
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our annual trip to Wimbledon. Location was excellent near to Gloucester St Tube Station. The room was comfortable but on the small side, had to squeeze between the bed and the desk and chair. It was spotlessly clean with a nice shower room which was adequate for our needs. Fortunately it was not too warm at night because their was no air/conditioning. Staff were very friendly and always willing to help. Breakfast was excellent (we had full English ) their was plenty of choice at the buffet, tea was plentiful the waiter would always make you an extra pot of tea. All in all we had a very comfortable 2 night stay and would certainly stay again.

Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had been there just for 5 nights . The room was small whit old furnisher but very clean and useful . very close to hide park, national museum and Gloucester Road underground station .The staff were very professional with very helpful information desk .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel is situated close to Gloucester Road underground station. I had an overnight stay when in London on business. The building traditional in style and seems to have been recently decorated. My single room was very small but the fittings and finishes were high quality and the bed was very comfortable, though there was no air conditioning. Everything was very clean.The bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways on the toilet- no room for legs in front! The English breakfast was cooked to order and was excellent. The staff were very professional and overall my feeling of the place was that it is well-managed with considerable attention to detail- shame about the toilet, though! I consider the hotel to be excellent value for money especially in comparison with some others at the same price. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Be aware rooms are small.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business