“Not brilliant”

Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Ranked #402 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 19, 2006

The check in is efficient but alarm bells should have rung when there were
different people complainimng whenever I went through the lobby.
Hotel was clean and adequate.
Rooms are very very small, as are the bathrooms. You really have to squeeze past
everything . During the night it was noisy from outside air conditioning units
and also internal doors banging.
Car parking is good under the hotel but the going rate for London about £17.00
per day.
Beware when booking the price quoted does not include taxes, which I think
Holiday inn have only recently began doing, having used them for years this is
the first time I have had this but on checking the confirmation email and web
site it does say it but can be missed.
Plenty of eating places on Russell Square and Southampton Row, covenient for
tube.
Probably would not use this hotel again.

1  Thank PeterKnott
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed July 23, 2006

When we were browsing for hotels online, this seemed like the perfect location. Many hotels (or bread and breakfasts) in London don't have bathrooms in the room, are cramped, and don't offer many of the facilities this hotel offers on location (restaurant, baggage check, etc.). Also, reviews seemed to be very complimentary regarding the staff and housekeeping. We booked our stay for 20 days, well in advance, and figured we'd have nothing to worry about.

Although the room itself was generally as stated, we instantly saw problems with our stay. A free breakfast was clearly listed in the hotel accomodations (we booked through American Express Travel, and we brought the printout with us for evidence, though we are now aware that not all bookings come with this offer). As poor college students, my brother and I couldn't afford to eat out for every meal, so we tried to take advantage of the offer. Each time we went down to breakfast, we were turned away and had to speak to a manager, who would constantly assure us that the issue would be or had been taken care of, and would usher us back in to the restaurant. By the end of our stay, we had 7 breakfast charges (at a whopping 52 pounds EACH TRIP!!!) on our bill, although every duty manager assured us that the issue was resolved. Even after speaking to the general manager of the hotel, we still didn't receive a satisfactory solution until the night before we left.

Service continued to be a problem throughout our stay. Housekeepers, unwilling to deliver simple items like the newspaper, would give us haughty rebukes and in one instance actually hung up on us! Items that were promised with the room wound up not being included (many of these toiletries the plaque in the bathroom insisted we take advantage of). Although we are generally neat people and try to cause as little hassle for the staff as possible, we often found the rooms unvaccuumed, the towels sticky, and beds stained. On one occasion, after returning from a meeting with a manager, we found 2 housekeepers in our room with the door closed (as a general rule, this hotel seems to insist upon ONE housekeeper per room, with the door OPEN). Nothing turned up missing or stolen, but the run-in was very unsettling to return to.

In each instance, we tried to let our complaints known as politely and frankly as possible. We did NOT place any unnecessary demands upon the staff, though with each complaint, managers seemed to be holding more of a grudge against us. The office phone number of the general manager was actually WITHHELD from us by a duty manager who must have inferred we were calling to complain about him, as we had experienced the most trouble (and hostility) from him. By the end of our stay, the entire managerial staff knew who we were and would interrupt us before we could say a word (even when we weren't trying to find them!).

Our complaint doesn't lie with the small issues; we realize that mistakes happen and no one is perfect. However, we found the staff to be extremely rude and condescending, and very unwilling to rectify an issue. It wasn't until our meeting with the general manager that we were satisfied, and even then the gen. man. took a break from our discussion, apparently in order to phone the duty manager in question to confirm the story. After the phone call, we were told that our problems (especially concerning the breakfast, which we would NOT have continued to visit if we knew for one moment that the price wouldn't be waived) had already been discussed with us, and that nothing could be done to remove it from the bill (eventually we showed enough evidence to prove the contrary).

Our hotel stay was extremely trying, and wasn't worth the hassle (especially considering the price!). The location is wonderful, but you're bound to find a better hotel in a similar area for less money and hopefully less stress.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank thesurlyblonde
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Four words sum up this hotel:

My Bed Had Fleas.

'Nuff said

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank Coltbridge
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Very enjoyable stay at a clean well run hotel. Rooms are small but functional, air conditioning was working beautifully (we just happened to be in London during the hottest spell ever recorded). The location couldn't be more convenient to Russell Square tube station (1 minute walk), which is on the picadilly line (~1hr from Heathrow) and 2 or 3 stops from Covent Garden. Theatreland is a pleasent 20-30 minute walk from the hotel or accessible by tube.
The buffet breakfast was well laid out, and plentiful, the staff were very helpful and even provided free newspapers during breakfast. They had no problems holding our baggage for 5 hours the day we left, so all in all I would very much recommend it.

Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank FrancisAlbert
Reviewed June 17, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel a number times over the years as my employers had an account with Forte Posthouse. The location is great, just round the corner from Russell Sq. tube with Euston and Kings Cross stations a short walk away. But I didn't like the bedrooms.
That has all changed since Holiday Inns have spent time and money on redecorating and upgrading the bedrooms. Gone is the dark furniture and the strange prints on the walls deck plans of sailing ships in a central London hotel?) and in there place is light wood furniture and bright decor. The rooms look a lot nicer, it's just a shame they are all a bit smaller than one usually expects from a Holiday Inn. But I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank Chris M
Reviewed May 26, 2006

I stayed here early May 2006 - my first time in London. Although I arrived before the 1400 check-in time, I was allocated a room straight away.

The hotel is well situated - being very close to Russell Square tube - convenient as it is on the Piccadilly line - which takes you to Heathrow Airport. And believe me, you don't want to be changing trains on the tube if you have luggage - as many stations don't have escalators or lifts.

I found the check-in staff a little cold and clinical, but I only had to deal with them twice. The bar staff are fantastic and very friendly. As for Callaghan's, I've been to more genuine "Irish" pubs in Sydney! However, the beer is good, and the bar food is OK too. There are quite a few eating and drinking options nearby, so explore beyond the hotel.

My room was on the 1st floor, and I found it quiet and comfortable. The rooms have wooden panel doors which you can close so you don't get the morning light and it also reduces street noise.

My only complaint would be that I ordered a taxi for a Monday morning at 0400 - to get to Victoria Station to get the Gatwick Express for a short visit to Poland. My taxi arrived late, and the night staff didn't seem too bothered about it - even though I'd ordered it the night before, and I ended up missing the 0430 Gatwick Express and had to wait until 0500 for the next train.

This was a small blight on their copybook, however, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank Ozzieflyer
A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury for a week in late May/early June 2005. I didn't realize the expense of this hotel because I'd received a nice package deal through Priceline. While the exterior of the building looks fairly basic and box-like, I found the rooms inside to be fairly large for European standards, with a cozy, comfortable double bed and fairly spacious bathroom with both shower & tub. However, bring your own washcloths as the hotel does not provide them. And FYI--the English call washcloths "flannels" should you need to request or purchase these somewhere. The property was kept clean and the cleaning staff, though few spoke good English, were always courteous and thorough in their cleaning.

The views from the rooms are not spectacular, but I was only there to sleep and bathe because I came to the city to tour. When I first arrived, I was given a room on the inner side of the hotel, looking out on the interior rooftops of the hotel. I requested an external view and was moved, but I wish I hadn't because I could sometimes hear a bit of noise from the street below (I was on the 3rd floor). Mind you, the noise was mainly from occasional ambulances, and the noise wasn't a constant bother.

The area around the building has a few good restaurants and pubs. The Russell Square tube station is directly across the street from the rear of the hotel, and this proved to be very convenient. A small grocery store is also right there, so I would stop there on my way to the hotel each evening to buy snacks and drinks for the evening. The hotel room had a mini-bar fridge that was emptied but still in operation so I used that to keep my drinks chilled.

If I could get a good deal on the room, I would definitely stay here again. It's convenient, safe, clean, and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2005