“Extremely kind helpful staff”

Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We've stayed a number of times before because of the excellent location, nice rooms and very good breakfasts. We keep coming back because we feel welcome and are very comfortable here.
Whilst staying there last November (2013) my husband unfortunately fell in the street nearby and shattered his arm and shoulder. We managed to get back to the hotel but soon realised he needed to get to hospital. The duty manager and staff couldn't have been kinder. They all showed real concern and arranged and paid for a taxi to get us there. Sadly after only one night at the hotel we had to cancel the rest of our stay but this was done with no fuss whatsoever. After returning to the hotel in the early hours my poor husband had to spend the rest of the night propped up in the chair in the hotel bedroom in agony. Again however staff brought extra pillows and kept enquiring if there was anything they could do. They offered breakfast to our room in the morning and made sure we had everything we needed before we left so that my husband could return to hospital for more medical treatment. They didn't have to do this but it was really appreciated and they made a horrible experience more bearable. So thank you Holiday Inn; especially the duty manager who was very kind and compassionate, and congratulations on your superb customer care. Needless to say we're going back again very soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gandj50
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he has recovered from his ordeal during your recent stay with us. We strive to give great and impressive service to all our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury soon. Once again, thank you for your kind words of praise.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had an early morning meeting in Holborn and this was close by. I actually walked to the hotel from kings cross and it was easy to find,
Checkin was very quick and efficient as was checkout.
The reception was very spacious and had a bar attached to it if you wanted to watch football etc.
My room althiugh on the small size was clean with all the usual facilities you would expect.
I did not eat at the hotel so i cannot comment on the food but everything else was good.
If i was in the area again i would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments about the team. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was my second time this year in London and both times I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury, near Russell Square and just a block from the Russell Square underground station (on the Piccadilly Line, which goes straight to/from Heathrow). I was looking for good value in a reliable, safe and comfortable setting in central London. I was not looking for luxury as it was my intention to be about and about in London and not sitting in the hotel too much.

As it was my first time in London, my main objectives in a hotel were (1) to have easy and safe access on public transport to and from Heathrow; (2) to be within walking distance of Covent Garden, the theaters, the river, and the major attractions, (3) to be within good underground access for my son, who was a student living in London but who was coming in from Paris, where he often visits, and (4) to not be in a noisy location, and (5) to be in a comfortable and safe-feeling setting but that was value oriented and not luxury. I would say that this hotel hits the mark pretty well. I love the location most of all, on a quiet street just a block from the bustling Russell Square area. It is very close to the British Museum so if you just have an hour before needing to catch the train, it is so-able. Likewise as to the British Library, which is a 10 minute walk north and very worthwhile. My wife and I love to walk so the 20 minute or so walk to Trafalgar Square and the national Gallery, or 30 minute walk to St. Paul’s or Westminster (the hotel is central between them) is not a big deal. It is also an easy walk to the “high” shopping districts of Oxford Street and Regent’s Street, the concerts and shows at Covent Garden and the West End, and the night life and restaurants of Soho, etc. The hotel itself is clean and pleasant, but not luxury, which I did not want. The staff has been outstandingly professional and courteous both times I was there. Both times the reservations staff was very prompt and accommodating in replying to my emails asking about some specific reservation requests. I like the Russell Square area a lot but the main street fronting the east side of Russell Square is very noisy, whereas the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury is on a quiet street in an area that seems somewhat off the tourist bubble. It also is only a 10 minute walk from St. Pancras train station, where the Eurostar comes in from (and departs for) Paris, so that made it convenient for my son.

The lack of free WIFI is inconvenient and a bit annoying, although I have been glad to have it available even at an extra hourly fee (£5 for one hour, £10 for 3 hours, etc.) on a couple of occasions. Usually, for WIFI we go over to the Starbucks at the adjacent Brunswick Center for free WIFI, although if you don’t have a international phone so that you need a WIFI hot spot to quickly check email from the office or to coordinate arrangements with family this is a bit of a pain. There also is a good grocery store in the Brunswick Center. The bathrooms are a bit small with little counter space, but not in an uncommon way for mid-range hotels. The water pressure in the shower is a bit weak. In my last visit, the water temperature in the shower also was disappointingly tepid, a mater to which housekeeping did not really respond (they left a reply that suggested they may have misunderstood my point), but when I mentioned this to the desk clerk when we checked out I did feel that the clerk “felt my pain” on the matter and that this was something that would be looked into. My wife is more fastidious than I and might possibly have preferred something with more luxury—such as supplied bath robes and a hair dryer that she could actually use in the bathroom (theirs, curiously and presumably for space reasons, is on a fixture that is bolted to the inside of the main room dresser, under the TV), but if your plan is to be out and about in town a lot from a central location that is easy to get to and use, this is a good place to try. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Scott705NW
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I dont normaly like holiday inns but sadly work do, however this one was very good clean and bright very modern, the room was big enough it had a double bed reasonable bath with shower over it a nice large TV and good light deadening curtains.

Breakfast was excellent and you could have as much or as little as you wanted and covered everything from full english to fresh fruit

Staff were very nice and helpful..

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments regarding the staff. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury in the near future.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This Holiday Inn is better run than the one on Kings Cross Road. The room was clean, the TV was very good. I would be happy to stay here again
There seems to be a new way of folding the last sheet on the toilet paper - a holiday inn impress is made - trouble is it seems to be done with water as it left a damp patch for some distance through the roll

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. Whilst we understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope to have the honour of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

As we were doing a show this was a great place to stay the night. On arrival we were greeted warmly and although slightly before check in time, we were given a room.
The room itself was a good size with a firm bed. The bathroom too was spacious and had good ledges for putting toiletries on etc.
We had a sound night's sleep and headed down for breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was, as usual, very good. You could have anything from a continental to a full English breakfast.
Check out was quick and efficient with a friendly see you again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded you expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment in the near future. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This is a good all round hotel - comfortable, clean rooms and a nice breakfast. My only complaint is that the walls are quite thin and the room doors slam unless closed gently, which meant that I was disturbed in the middle of the night by a neighbouring guest returning to their room. I could also hear a neighbouring guest making a coffee the following morning.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MelMul
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. We take very seriously the confidence our guests place in us and we work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury.

Kind regards