“Excellent hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #384 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Excellent service from the reception staff, reasonable size nice rooms and general good quality expected from this hotel group. Good location for getting to and from Euston and easy access to the underground trains. We booked well in advance which meant we had a good price, however the book on the day cost was very high.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments about the Reception Team. It is hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

Matthew Beard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Muscat
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stay here frequently on business. An adequate hotel with no frills. Bathroom tends to be minuscule but rooms are generally of a good size. Breakfast is pretty unremarkable and I would suggest going elsewhere for healthier, less tired options and much better value too. Fairly accessible for Covent Garden, British Museum and Oxford Street. Russell Square Tube is just around the corner, as is an OK shopping centre which has a couple of decent chain restaurants and Waitrose - buy wine, water etc there rather than the very expensive stuff in the bar

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Altrincham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel is of the familiar Holiday Inn standard so you know what to expect - good but not top end luxury (which is understandable as you are not paying top end prices). For us, a key plus point is the hotel's location - close enough to mainline rail stations (Euston, Kings Cross) to walk, if you felt energetic. Russell Square tube is round the corner thus giving easy access to all the sites/attractions London has to offer. Many interesting sites are within walking distance, for example the British Museum, as are plenty of restaurants. The breakfast was good although very busy (not surprising as this is a popular hotel).
The big, personal gripe for me was the fact that, unusually, I booked the stay using the hotel's own website which advertises that if you find it cheaper elsewhere your first night is free. Without much effort on my part I did find it £35/night cheaper on another website and advised the IHG booking system accordingly. Surprise, surprise they didn't honour the website guarantee giving some big company loophole excuses. My opinion - the price guarantee is pretty worthless.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Vic G,

Thank you for taking the time to write review on your recent stay with us. It is always much appreciated when guests take the time to pass on their feedback to us.

I am very glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that particularly enjoyed our breakfast.

I am sorry to hear that Best Price Guarantee this time didn't come through, however to gain the Best Price Guarantee, the bookings must exactly match in all details.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here in August over night with 2 friends of mine. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel for the value, very modern,clean and the area surrounding the hotel is surprisingly quiet! The reception staff were fantastic and really helpful, they were happy to give us directions and tell us which tubes to catch which was fantastic (3 young girls in London, we needed a lot of help!!). The concierge service was fast and easy and the concierge was very polite and friendly, overall very pleased! Our room was spotless! The cleaner had clearly worked hard! We were very happy with our first day and night in the hotel. The majority of breakfast staff the following morning were lovely. However, the waitresses in the breakfast room were VERY rude! We were eating our delicious English however one of the waitresses came over and started clearing pots away whilst one of my friends was still eating, we then was finishing our drinks and the same member of staff came over again and said that if we had finished we needed to leave and took our drinks away even though some of them were full! She was very rude and was tutting when we weren't immediately moving, she then pointed towards the exit and said "the exit is that way", which was said very abruptly. Me and my friends couldn't believe how rude the member of staff was! We then left our un-finished breakfast and headed out for the day in London. Other than the breakfast service the hotel was fantastic! We were very disappointed that our breakfast had been ruined by this one member of staff! However the rest of our stay was faultless!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear EKH36,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of your stay with us.

I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed you stay with us and found the hotel clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

I must apologise for your experience at breakfast with the service team, since you wrote to our online Guest Relations team in August on the same issue we have raised this as a training point with our service team and reminded them that this is not the correct service standard.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Zaandam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The location is good for getting into the West End and surrounding areas. The hotel staff are very helpful and the level of service is good.

Breakfast is ok but there are better options in the area

Overall a good hotel for a weekend break in the West End

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear fourstardust,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was happy to see that you found our team helpful and the service was good. As you mentioned our location is good for the West End.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Genneteil, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We used loyalty points so our stay was free of charge. Reception were prompt and polite. The room was fine but a bit snug if you were planning a long stay. The bathroom in particular was a tight squeeze- the door to the bathroom is only about an inch from the loo when open! Persons of larger stature ( wide or tall) would not find it comfortable. I do like the pillow choices and we slept well. It was quiet, despite being in central London. Can't comment on food or other facilities as we didn't use them.

Holiday inn - if you check these reviews, the push/pull plug in the bathroom of 534 doesn't seal, so I had to waste a lot of water whilst making my ablutions!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kangalis,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you slept well.

Thank you for pointing out the issue with the plug in room 534, our engineering team has taken care of that!

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I arrived at 9.30pm on Friday 18th for one night. I have in excess of 300,000 IHG points. I was told there were no executive rooms available so i was put on the third floor in room 315 and was told an executive package would be sent up to me. That never happened even though I asked at the desk at 11.10pm if it would occur. I did not even get my newspaper the next day. I have stayed 20+ nights at this hotel in the last few years. I may transfer to Hilton Honours - whenI I arrived at the front desk I was given the choice of pomits or a a free drink. Not quite sure why the points were only 300 when I was offered 500 in Birmingham the week before. The only saving grace was that the waitress Sonia in the retaurant recognised me after being off on maternity leave. Well done her, since she is a shiing light in the hotel that in my opinion was either booked to capacity or has gone down hill.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear EconomicsGuru,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry that your experience with us was less

We have sent you a private message regarding your stay.

Again, I would like to apologise and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe we can only improve our services through our guest feedback.