“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #383 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Milan, Italy
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good experience at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury.
I was given an executive room at the executive floor.. Good well sized room, with all amenities, mini bar, computer desk.. Internet connection however is not free, and the executive floor doesn't have any dedicated bar or extras, plus.. security: all the floors have security access with room card only, the executive floor however is at a floor where conference are held too, so no security card needed, plus there is to badged gate for the rooms, so ppl attending conferences could, eventually browse the room floor.. not an ideal situation..
Good rest at night, nothing to complain apart room temperature a but the heater is silent and efficient.. bathroom however has a freezing floor surface.. heating under the floor would be nice to contrast this..
Good rich breakfast, at premium rate :-(( with friendly staff
Overall the hotel is nice, with the basic services (no gym or swimming pool), room is a good size, location is good, with a close by shopping area and tube line very handy, car park and external to the property gym
Location is good if you plan to spend your nights at the west end theatres...can even walk, if you want..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Cristiano C
hibl00msbury, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Flyingblueboy,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in our Hotel.

We will take on board your comments about the shared access with the Conference Area.

We are delighted that you had a good rest, appreciated our great location and as with many other reviewers found our staff friendly.

We can not wait to welcome you back!!

Email:gr.bloomsbury@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
sunderland
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our 4th visit to this hotel and love the location as it is such easy access to tube. Having being spoilt on last occasion and receiving an upgrade I was really disappointed in our room this time it was absolutley tiny and had a musty smell, carpets were stained and the paintwork was yellow. As I was celebrating my 50th Birthday I was devastated by this room, However on going down to reception I explained that on other occasions I had better rooms (not including the upgrade) he immedialty found us another room that was slightly bigger and it was much better.Breakfast was lovely as usual and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. We are going back in October and will be staying there and have also recommended this hotel to others. One other problem was I did want to book champagne etc. for birthday but could not get through and gave up in the end

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hibl00msbury, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Jaymesunderland,

Thank you for once again choosing our hotel for your visit to London.

On behalf of the team may we wish you a belated Happy Birthday!

We are sorry that you experienced some issues with your first room. I am pleased that we speedily moved you to a different room.

We are absolutely delighted with your overwhelmingly positive comments about our "lovely as usual" breakfast and our helpful team.

Should you have any special requests in advance of your next stay in October, if not before, then please do not hesitate to contact the Guest Relations team on our contact below.

Hartlepool
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here before but have noticed some subtle improvements in the way reception are more welcoming and helpful. Very tired so ate in - can highly recommend the mackerel starter which was very Jamie like and really very good. Had a good night's sleep and liked the service at breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
hibl00msbury, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear monkeyHartlepool,

Thank you so much for your very positive review of your most recent stay.

We are delighted to see that our hard work improving all aspects of the Guest Experience is noticed by our regular guests.

We can not wait to welcome you back when you are next in London!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I wish you could give a half point as my 3 seems a little mean but I cannot give a 4. The hotel provides all that you require for an overnight business stay. It is close to Russell Square tube station and the key card access to rooms and lifts provides peace of mind. There is an independent car park under the hotel with good rates for central London which again relieves stress and adds to convenience. My room on this occasion was a small double, okay for a single night and a single occupant but a longer stay with a fellow guest would have made conditions very cramped. I have enjoyed a larger room in the past. I find the staff well trained and very polite but service is always a little slow but it is a very busy hotel. I suspect the incredibly polite and attentive attention of the staff complete with numerous enquiries into your opinion of the stay, the room etc adds to the length of the queues at checkout and adds to the negatives expressed about this hotel. My biggest complaint with this hotel was the heating, the rooms were very hot, the windows did not open and the air-conditioning unit did nothing to reduce the heat and was very loud. I wish hotels would either provide truly independent air conditioning and heating in the rooms or return to radiators that turn off and windows that open. The room was safe, my car was secure, I was only minutes away from my meeting destination and everything should have been fine but I had a lousy nights sleep because it was so hot. Otherwise the food was good, the room service prompt and attentive and all the staff I met attentive and polite.

1 Thank lee f
Dear Lee F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit to our Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the temperature and the efficiency of departure. Each of the departmental heads have been working hard to improve these areas, this feedback will allow them to identify where further improvements can be made.

We are delighted to read that you found our location excellent and that each member of the team you met were "attentive and polite"

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel, the breakfast is really good, service and Staff excellent. Rooms large and clean. We stayed for three nights, Well worth the money spent. Highly reccomend this Hotel to other travellers with a good budget. The inhouse pub is also very nice.

• Stayed January 2013
hibl00msbury, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear gbh190479,

Thank you for your 5 star review of our hotel following your recent visit to London.

Gerald and his team are particularly pleased that you highlighted our excellent breakfasts!

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a well located hotel geared towards large conference delegations right next to the Brunswick Centre in Bloomsbury. Service on the front desk is good and it's clean and safe - the lifts require a keycard to operate them so not just anybody can walk in.

My room was standard fare. Small and compact, thankfully with a double bed. The hairdryer stopped working as soon as I switched it on and some of the lights didn't seem to work - there didn't appear to be a way to switch the room lights on by the door which I found odd.

Breakfast was sort of OK. Poor table service and nobody asked me if I wanted any tea but there was good fruit selection and plenty of options.

What really bugs me here is the internet situation. In this day and age of smartphones, tablets and laptops, unlimited wireless internet should not be considered some sort of luxury that must be carefully rationed.

But not at at the Holiday Inn.

It's a whopping £16 for a 24 hour pass.

I didn't pay.

Business users and frequent travellers like me need the internet. Charging £16 for something that should be free is a disgrace and this chain should hang it's head in shame. I saw on the lift they were "reviewing" their internet prices.

The reality is there should be NO price.

On top of that, the Holiday Inn is a very identikit and dull hotel chain. There are better chains out there and for the £170 bed and breakfast I'm pretty sure this was overpriced as well.

2 Thank Hushmore
Dear Hushmore,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our Hotel. We do really appreciate the opportunity to understand the areas where we can improve.

We are surprised that your experience at breakfast did not match our usual high standards, as displayed my many other Tripadvisor reviewers. I have shared your thoughts with our Food & Beverage Manager and his team.

I understand that there are some hotels that offer “free” Internet, but as I am sure you may have experienced, often these systems are narrow in bandwidth or limited in usage. At a corporate level we are looking in to adjusting our internet service pricing whilst sill being able to offer our guests a market leading, uncontested bandwidth service. We will update our guests when we have further information.

We are very pleased with your kind comments about our location and the service at our front desk.

United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We chose to stay at this hotel for a second time due to its great location, good value and comfortable and quiet rooms. Russell Square tube station's just around the corner and there is a good range of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants within a few minutes walk of the hotel.

Alessandra at check-in was delightful, welcoming and friendly yet professional. I'd requested a quiet room and we were given a room on a high floor with an internal rather than a street view. The room was clean, the bed very comfortable and it was so quiet that we had a great night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Infomaniac_1
hibl00msbury, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Infomaniac_1,

It is great to receive positive feedback from a returning guest!!!

It is a particular highlight that you took the time to mention that Alessandra on Reception was 'delightful'. We are always pleased when the extra effort we make does not go unnoticed.

We can't wait to welcome back to our hotel on your next visit to London.