“Pleasant little property, well located and good value for London” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure London Bridge

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #309 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pleasant little property, well located and good value for London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in July (Friday and Saturday) July by myself after a week of work conferences. My first impression of the hotel was a little worrying as I entered via the small carpark at the rear of the building, but as I got inside I was pleasantly surprised. The property is only a four star, but has been recently refurbished so the lobby is very modern and quite nice. The check in staff were very pleasant and gave me an upgrade due to my gold Le Club status. I was given a room on the 7th floor, also recently refurbished. The room was quite small, but that's London - it's very expensive if you want a large room in a central location. While is was small, it was very nicely done with a good sized bed, very nice (small) bathroom and good airconditioning (which is a little rare in the UK!). The property is in a great location, very close to the amazing Borough Markets and Southwark Tube. There are also a number of great bars and restaurants directly across the road. I was a little disappointed when I checked out on Sunday morning that I wasn't able to get breakfast as it was too early (but then I remembered it was 6am on a Sunday), but I was able to get a coffee. I made up for it though at the Emirates lounge shortly afterward! I'd recommend this hotel for a short stay in London and would happily stay again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little more to step up to the newly refurbished superior rooms - or better i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank natbrown75
Mercure-LondonBridge, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear natbrown75,
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards,
Florian Jourdhier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for a short visit to London to go to the theatre.
Nothing remarkable, the air con in our room didn't work but this was resolved quickly.
Breakfast wasn't included in our rate and struck me as expensive even for London.
Very much part of the pack rather than a leader.
Bathroom pod units are a pain and look and feel cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear michael186311,
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Mercure London Bridge appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue.
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I went on a European adventure for a few weeks in August. Our second hotel stop was the Mercure London Bridge. At first glance it's nice. It's contemporary as you would expect from an "A Loft" brand. The lobby isn't exactly made easy though for bags. You have to carry luggage up the steps. Which for the record if you are traveling for 2 weeks to another country is a lot. My husband also pointed out- it's not very handicap accessible. This saddens me (Neither of us are disabled, but we thought it should be a universal thing.) They also have 1 elevator which for us was fine since they have stairs and our room was on the 3rd floor. However, with bags it's only big enough for 1 person. I'm 100 percent serious. It's super small. My husband and I had to ride separate.

Check in was easy, the staff at the front desk were pleasant. Some more than others, but that's how it goes. We got to our room and realized it's the size of a closet. We were able to get past that as we were warned hotels in Europe aren't spacious like American ones (I added pictures so you can see).

One thing I can say I didn't like was you had to put your room card in a slot to turn on the electricity (Power conservation). I get wanting to be green, but in the beginning they only gave us 1 card. So, if my hubby or I had to step out we were without power. I also FIRMLY believe they have an AC knob in the room only for show. We had it on 15C and it never cooled off. EVER. We THINK it's linked to the electricity slot, but if that is the case that is a poor design. Our room had AC yet it was cooler outside. I never understood that.

Also after a certain time the bar is card only. They wouldn't accept cash. This bothers me. It's a hotel why can't they take all forms of payment. Food and beverages at the hotel are way more expensive than those of places 2 streets over. It's worth it to walk to get food in other places.

You are close to 'Southwark' tube station. It's about a 5 to 10 minute walk. You are also in the business area. That's something to keep in mind for food options after business hours. It's a little more complicated, but behind the Modern Tate are more options with higher prices.

You are in walking distance of the London Eye, Modern Tate, Ben, & Parliament.

Room Tip: Get one with more space... I don't even know if they offer that.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brittani G,
Apologies for not living up to your expectations. I would like to highlight that we are part of the Accor Brand and are dedictated to providing superior service to all our guests. We do have a ramp making the entry to the hotel more accessible via the Lavington street (rear entrance) . I am pleased that you found our welcoming process, "easy and pleasant".
We’ll look into things, and I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure London Bridge Hotel some time in the future.
zambia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and I chose it because I wanted to visit Saint Pauls Cathedral. It is very near Saint Pauls you just cross the road from the hotel, the Tate gallery is there which is really worth a visit if you are passing by and turn towards the river, cross the bridge and you are there. Along this part of London there are lots of restaurants and it is very pleasant, don't think I would stay here again, just because it took us that much longer and was more costly taking taxis from central London where we had to go, than I imagined. Otherwise we had a good stay, not noisy, very pleasant staff, good beds and bathroom with bath and shower. We didn't eat here but found great breakfast place across the road. Price was good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mercure-LondonBridge, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear ZambiaAnne,
Many thanks for the positive comments; I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. We are in a great location as you mentioned within close proximity of several attractions, underground stations and restaurants.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure London Bridge again very soon and do stop by our restaurant, The Loft and try our seasonal menu.
General Manager.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We arrived on a Friday. Upon a casual sit down check in in the huge reception area, we were offered home made choc chip cookies....nice touch. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable.Kettle (plus esspresso machine) with plenty of tea, coffee and milk. Good location for London sightseeing etc. Breakfast was included in our reservation and consisted of English and continental buffet. Really nice, hot and tasty. Could not fault either hotel or breakfast. Very modern, swish hotel. Would use this hotel next time I visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear jane b,
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.
We put a great emphsis on the guest service and to make sure our guests feel comfortable as much as possible in the hotel during entire stay.
General manager
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and was less than impressed, I went as far to say I’d never stay in this hotel again. Stayed here again quiet a few times over the last six months, the choice was taking out of my hands due to work making the booking.

The hotel has improved since my previous visit, the lobby/reception has benefited a refit is now open and inviting, with a service to match. I’ve rooms are ok, adequate for a short break, functionally ok, lacking style. Always had a good nights sleep. Eat a number of times in the hotel and the food is good, breakfasts are by far the highlight.

The location couldn’t be better, right behind Tate Modern, 10 minutes walk to St Pauls and the City. The Thames is only minutes away with its vast number of competing restaurants/bars, plus a Tesco Metro is less than a minute from the hotel.

The wifi is very hit and miss, you can use the LAN cable, however there is a charge. Tried to work, however whenever staying on a higher floor the connection was very frustrating, the lower floors seem much better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike_l8,
Many thanks for the review.
We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed you are pleased with our efforts and the changes we have made at the Mercure London Bridge.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and restaurants, The Loft. I do agree we are in a great location and surrounded by sights including The EDF London Eye, Shakespeare Globe and The Shard to name a few.
I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.