“Just very basic” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #560 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Beirut, Lebanon
“Just very basic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nicely located in Russell Square not far from the tube station, this hotel offer decent small rooms. Not a hotel in term of service, reception staff are doing just technical transaction with no friendly contact. Breakfast is very limited & table clothes are so dirty specially if a client was served before you. They'd better offer rooms prices on bed only basis so client can choose.
Rooms are very small and housekeeping service is awful. My rooms was always not well cleaned, sheets are not changed for the whole 5 nights. It is a real mess.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
North East England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was suprised to read some of the reviews. I thought the staff at the hotel were all friendly and helpful. It is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect a top notch place and yes the rooms and corridors do need a facelift but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. Basic toileteries were provided (shower/shampoo) and there is tea and coffee making facilities which is a big bonus with London prices. I had packed a hairdryer but one was provided in our room.
It is worth asking for a quiet room to avoid some of the traffic noise.
We didn't have any problem getting seated for breakfast and there was cereal and cooked breakfast (buffet sytle). Tea and coffee were also served but I did find the tea rather weak.I took a couple of extra tea bags with me for the room.
We had a drink in the quiet bar and the prices were reasonable.
Check in time is normally 2pm but we managed to get access to our room a bit earlier so that was a bonus. You can leave suitcases in the reception area for 50p per case, alot cheaper than Kings Cross station!
Would probably book to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard tend to be quiter, more so if you get a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the early hours of October 19, which was a Saturday. The location of the Hotel is excellent for anyone who visits London for any reason: as a tourist; for work/ meetings in the City of London and also, if one is to visit one's ward studying at University of London. I chose the Hotel as its location suited me the best, because, as an alumnus of the University of London, nostalgia demands that I stay near my alma-mater. Also, I had my meetings near Saint Paul's Station at Cheapside and the other near Green Park station. The hotel is only 4-5 minutes walk from Russell Square Station (Piccadilly Line) and Holborn Station (both Piccadilly Line and Central Line), which makes commuting effectively within London very easy. The Hotel is very good overall. Hotel was kind enough to accede to my request for a room at the second floor, facing Russell Square and with Internet facility. I stayed in a Single Room. Room was cosy, the bed was comfortable. The buffet breakfast offers a great variety of quality food, which shall suit the palate of each and all. However, the staff at the reception can sound more pleasant and welcoming. Whenever I spoke with them, I rarely saw a smile on anybody's face, which I am so used to while staying in hotels in different jurisdictions. Also, 'rudeness' was a first time for me in London, which is like a second home to me. Nonetheless, they were co-operating, in as much as, they accommodated in giving me a room even before the official check-in time. Make your staff smile and I will give it a 5 star recommendation.

Room Tip: Internet is available free in few rooms and you have to make a special request at the time of your b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

The Imperial is shockingly shabby. The location is very central but the hotel must have seen better days. Chairs with ripped covers, scuff marks on every wall, everything is old and battered.
Breakfast room reminded me of a Morrocan market meal; crammed in next to complete strangers.
This hotel made me feel sad. I got to my room, sighed, and went for a walk on my own for a few hours to avoid having to be in there.
The plus side is, I had a room at the back of the hotel so I did get a good nights sleep.
I would only recommend staying here if your only concern is price. If you value anything else you will be disappointed.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at the Imperial Hotel on my own for just one night. The lobby, and room were nicely decorated and well presented. The corridors and lifts could do with a facelift. The room rate of £92 for a single room was very reasonable, and the breakfast was fine with plenty of choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gemma L
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I could complain about the terrible unhealthy breakfast, the very poor water preasure, the cleanness, etc. But, the worst of all is the poor service, especially at the reception desk. Not even a shadow of a smile, rude and impetient.
"English Breakfast" with no other options?? Wake up, this is 21st century, and we want to have healthy food. What about some vegetables?? eggs and very salty bacon to start the day with is a bad idea...
So many stains everywhere, on bed linen, walls and bathroom. This hotel should have been renovated long ago.
You pay (too much) for the location. If location is not very important, my advice is to avoid this hotel.
This is my third and last stay at the Imperial. This hotel does not respect it's guests.

Room Tip: Do not take a room in upper floors!! Water preasure is terrible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here with my disabled daughter and found the staff kind and helpful. The wallpaper in the hotel room was a little scratched and worn but the room was extremely well appointed and clean and the beds and bed linen wonderful for a good nights sleep. Soundproofing of the room was excellent and the breakfast provided catered for everyone. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and plan to return soon.

Room Tip: Room looked out over the square and noise from outside was easily dulled by drawing the curtains.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family