“Central location”

Ranked #572 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Central location”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay in this hotel, room was good enough for the time spent in it, room was cleaned and had fresh towels every day,staff were excellent,buffet breakfast was spot on, great location, couldnt have asked for more, will definitely use again.

2 Thank Weedel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a short break and it is very central for all attractions. Foyer was really nice, bars within the hotel and nice areas to sit and relax. Staff were always very friendly and helpful. We had one evening meal which was fabulous, great food. Nice breakfasts too. The room was pretty basic but its just somewhere to lay your head when out and about. Plenty of hot water & clean towels etc although the beds were a bit uncomfortable and the TV channel choice was limited...all in all very good and would recommend it.

4 Thank Beatbags
Leeds
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was not sure when we read some reports that this hotel would be ok?but we had a lovely stay and would go back.Rooms were large enough and lovely heated(weather was shocking and cold).Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and all the staff we came into contact with were very professional and friendly.Location was great with just a 10-15 min walk to Covent Gardens, Leicester Sq etc or if you wanted to tube then station is on your doorstep.Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms over looking Russell Sq Park.
2 Thank BGeeLeeds
Berwick St John
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel was booked for me by my company at a pretty hefty price and I will make sure that I do not ever have to return here.
On the positive side, the location is good with the Tube and several decent restaurants in the vicinity. The room was also light and airy. I encountered 2 friendly staff in the breakfast restaurant and one porter was also very nice.
Everything else I absolutely hated.
With the few notable exceptions above, staff were either surly or uninterested. There is a seperate reception and porter's desk so you check in at the former and then have to queue all over again to get your key from the porter.
I got a twin room with 2 of the narrowest beds I can recall seeing anywhere. Pillows were tired and thin. The window seals were ineffective rendering the room very noisy and quite chilly. The TV was absolutely miniscule with a very limited range of channels. Toiletries were of the lowest quality and the towels were old, thin and too small to be useful. The tea and coffee making facilities included plastic sticks to stir your tea, not even a proper teaspoon. The whole thing felt cheap and nasty, until I remembered how much my employers had been charged for it.
After a less than glorious night's sleep, breakfast was actually OK. The tables were crammed together so don't expect privacy. There are 2 buffets which looked the same but were actually serving different food so it is worth exploring both.
Housekeeping knocked at my door at 8.40am to check that I was leaving that day, then on arrival in reception it was empty. I asked the porter to take my key as I had no bill to pay but he refused insisting I must see reception despite it being unmanned. In the event I called for someone and eventually they turned up with neither charm nor apology and took a further 5 minutes to confirm what I already knew, that I had nothing to pay.
It saddens me greatly that at a time when our capital city has been a centre of world focus, many tourists will arrive here and think that this is typical of what Britain and British service is like. My advice to them is to book a Premier Inn - you'll get a fantastic welcome and a great night's sleep (guaranteed) probably for a similar or lower price.

Room Tip: Another hotel would be my advice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AttitudeAdjuster

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having booked this hotel I then looked on Trip Advisor I was very apprehensive of giong to this hotel and even contemplated cancelling to a better hotel but thought I would give it a chance.
Well I must say I had nothing to worry about the hotel was just what I was looking for. Room was very clean, beds comfy, ith a flat screen tv.
As for some of the compliants regarding breakfast I think this was one of the better breakfasts I have had as the food was hot and fresh. Istayed in a 4star hotel in London in January and this was much better than that.
Location was perfect for getting around. Only 50yards from nearest tube station which got us where we wanted to go superbly

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lynnlsd
nth yorks uk
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Imperial is very large and a little impersonal. Receptionist unfriendly at check-in. We had emailed asking for a quiet room which she did allocate us. 8th floor not near the lifts, facing the back. The room was extremely hot on first entering but both a small side window and the larger window could be opened and so we managed to bring the temperature down, but would find it extremely uncomfortable in summer! Twin beds small, but comfortable,sheets,blankets and bedspread, one firm pillow, one soft. Flat screen tv, hairdryer,trouser press, small wardrobe,enough hangars for a short stay but no large drawer space, only little shelves.2 small bars of soap in bathroom, 2 small bottles of bath/shampoo, no small hand towels, 3 medium-sized bath towels.Not much choice at breakfast as previous reviewers have stated. We had our 'free' dinner at the Bedford (choice given by the Imperial hotels) and we prefer this smaller hotel which provides a good choice of 'English dishes'. Being a larger hotel it was very busy with groups and the bars were quite noisy. Superbreak deal was good value and the visit to the Shaftsbury Theatre to see 'Burn The Floor' was an excellent birthday treat. However we much prefer the smaller hotel.

Room Tip: High floor at the back, no view but quieter!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have always been reasonably pleased with this hotel, but this stay was extremely disappointing. We stayed in an 'executive room', which is only called an executive room because the room is bigger than the other rooms in the hotel with a bigger bathroom, and there is free Wi-Fi. However, there were fairly small twin beds and no safety deposit box. They have a cheek to call it an 'executive room'.

My husband wanted to see the manager about the lack of a safety deposit box, but this was impossible, and led to a 'Fawlty Towers' - like tale. The manager appears to be in hiding - John filled out a form, but there was no sign of him. There is a safety deposit box downstairs, but it costs a lot, and it is unavailable at night! All of the European hotels - even 2-star ones - have them. The Imperial Hotel could easily get them for the rooms at a low cost.

There are charges for everything extra, such as keeping your luggage for the day. The attitude is penny-pinching, and they obviously don't care about complaints, because so many people stay there.

The breakfast is greasy, with no fresh fruit. Poor bacon, hard eggs, and cold bread rolls which aren't crisp. It's all extremely unappetising, and bad quality. You can have fresh fruit if you ask for it - it seems to be regarded as weird to want it!

Don't pay the extra money. The staff at the Tavistock are nicer, and some of the rooms even have double beds!

Room Tip: Don't bother getting an executive room. They aren't worth the extra money.