“Expect better from a London Hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #562 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Shropshire
“Expect better from a London Hotel”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was my 2nd visit to this hotel. The 1st back in July was for pleasure and most recentlyI stayed for business. Both times I was disappointed by the standard of the rooms. Very basic and in desperate need of a refresh. Everything from the corridors, to the room doors to the decor looks like something out of the shining. This is NOT the cheapest hotel in London so anyone who suggests that you get what you pay for is not really being honest to themselves. If however you don't care about the decor and it's "just a place to put your head for the night" then let me just say that on both stays I slept little more than a couple of hours due to the noise of traffic, people and sirens from the main road. I have stayed on the 5th and 3rd floors but I might aswell have been on the pavement!! Terrible nights sleep!!

The only 2 good things about this hotel is the location and the breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid a room looking out onto Russell Square
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shropshire_sun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Imperial does what it says on the box. If you are looking for a value hotel with clean rooms and good service, this is a good one. Spent 3 nights here celebrating my wedding. Prior to arrival I asked about flowers and was told they couldn't guarantee colours. However I asked for some colours, if possible, and the arrangement contained them and an excellent arrangement.

Breakfast is simple but is adequate. If you want a bigger selection, try another hotel that charges £15 per person for it!

Can't really fault it. I think a bargain. My only critisism is that they need to purchase some super king sheets for the bed as I woke everyday enveloped in the sheets!

• Stayed October 2012
N. Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've just returned from a business trip and stayed at the imperial for one night. To be honest I was dreading it as the last time I stayed here I was in a room that resembled a cell! I was delighted this time around when I discovered my room was a twin room, not a single and it was fairly spacious; I would say three times the size of the room I had before plus it had a great view over Russell square. It's not modern really in any respect, apart from the flat screen tv, but the room was clean and comfortable. To be honest the rooms would need massively overhauled; they are simply dated with faded pictures on the walls, unsightly wallpaper and naff bedding. The pillows were also the thinnest I've ever slept on! But to be honest, London is the sort of place where you just need a base and it did exactly what it said on the tin. It is in a great position with a short walk to Russell square tube station and this sees it through.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
scotland
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We are just back from the Imperial Hotel after a 3 night stay. we had an excecutive room on the 5th floor and it was excellent. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was large and very well finished with a very powerful shower. The room itself was large with a sitting area, LCD tv and a good supply of tea and coffee. Breakfast was alright with a selection of cereals, toast and a cooked breakfast if you wanted one. The drinks in the bars at night were a good price for central London.
After reading some of the reviews before we went, we were a wee bit worried about what we had booked, but we found the hotel to be very good and can't really think of any bad points.

Room Tip: Book an executive room on a high floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My friend and I booked a three night stay in London through Thomas Cook. We had stayed at the Bedford Hotel, which is owned by the same people as the Imperial Hotel but this time there was no room for us and so we were sent to the Imperial over the road. The staff were very helpful. Our room had just been refurbished and was large and comfortable. The corridors were a bit dingy though.

The breakfast was very good. The hotel is in a good location and has a lot going for it. Our deal through Thomas Cook was good value. We had a great time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night at either end of a European tour.The room was clean and the beds comfortable enough for 1 night. Linen clean. The only criticism would be the heating turned up full wellie but opening the windows and turning off the radiator soon sorted that. The bar meal in the evening was good and breakfast outstanding. Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Try and get as high as possible in the building otherwise the traffic noise could be tiresome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen S
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I took executive room so I had a very big batheroom. The beds are not comfterbull but was ok. Very good service, and nice bar. It gives good value for the money. And the tube is about 1minute of walking

• Stayed September 2012