Hendon Hall Hotel
Ranked #474 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Although impposing ,we found the bedroom carpet so dirty we would not take our shoes off for fear of dirtying our feet,the TV did not work properly due to a fault with the supply to the hotel, and there was dust inbetween the secondary sealed glazing [must have entered via the outer sash window ].
The 3 course meal was very tasty but too" nouvelle cuisine" to be more than a palate pleaser.The breakfast was excellent with a choice of tradition English and superb buffet with a wide range of choice.
The staff were both polite and pleasant.
The decor seemed a mixture of original style ,whilst the dinning room had a1950s feel with its light wood panelling and its scroll pattern carpet .

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david s
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent review that I have read and discussed with my management team this morning.

Please accept my apologies for the poor cleanliness of the carpet, this I can assure you is not the standard that we have set here at the hotel. I have personally spoken with the Head Housekeeper this morning.

I am pleased that you found the food tasty, but felt it was to nouvelle cuisine, we try to offer traditional British cuisine with a slight twist. The Head Chef prides himself on the presentation, ingredients and the quality of the food he prepares.

It is always pleasing to read positive comments about breakfast, an important meal and great start to your day.

Thank you for your review and I hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel shortly.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in North London with easy access to the North Circular and M1. Plentiful parking at the back. Staff have always been welcoming, polite and efficient. Rooms and beds are of a decent size and are extremely comfortable. Good breakfast.

The one downside is the scaffolding outside which is covered by a mural of the Hall. This is a pity, though I suppose if work needs doing then it needs doing, and I guess it will only be temporary - though it has been up now for many months.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank barryjohnsmith

Thank you for your recent review and I was delighted to read your positive comments about the welcoming and polite staff and that you found the rooms to be of a good size and comfortable.

Unfortunately the scaffolding at the front of the building will be with us for another couple of months, due to the age and historical value of the portico it is not a fast job. The digital picture does help to hide some of the scaffolding and I do hope that it is not to off putting.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed for one night late Sept, our son is in Uni close by and have stayed 4-5 times in the past. We booked an executive room. We were given a room at the front of the hotel(301) it was behind a facade that covered that side of the hotel during renovation work! Which meant no daylight at all!! We went back to reception and refused the room. We were told we should have been told about the work, we were not! Any way no more executive rooms were available so we down graded to a classic room which was very nice and was well away from the work. The reception staff could not have been more helpful during this, one even loaned us her iphone charger for the night!
The restaurant menu seemed to have changed since last visit with the meal deals 2 or 3 course for etc... disappearing which seemed to have made punters disappear! We just had a bar meal which was very nice and not to bad value.
Breakfast was still up to their normal excellent standard, our only comment was the first tea and coffee was not that hot. The fresh honey was to die for!! We will be back!!

Room Tip: At the moment stay away from front executive rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Glend

Thank you for your review and it is always great to welcome regular guest back to the hotel and to understand how we are performing.

I was sorry to read that we did not explain about the covering over the windows, this has been in place for sometime now and should be the norm for the front desk team, I am pleased we were able to offer an alternative and that we helped with your iPod.

We always try to change the dinner offering and I agree it has not been as successful as other offers we have done, I can assure you that has been reviewed. I was pleased to read your comment about the honey it is a great success, everybody appears to like it.

Thank you and I hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This in its time has been a good hotel with an excellent restaurant, housekeeper and head-waiter. One could wish it were still true. On the positive side, the food that I and my two guests had a dinner was truly excellent and a lot had clearly been spent on the décor of the bedroom, though the quantity of wood was rather overwhelming. . The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom good.

So what is not to like? Very poor service in the bar (which is a large but very down-market looking area) and the restaurant. It took far too long to place our orders – and exceptionally long to get served: I have e-mailed the food and beverage manager with details of our experience, but have had no response. The problem was not because the place was busy: there were only two other tables occupied when we went into the restaurant – and we were the only diners at the end. Reception staff were helpful, but usually had a queue.

The main building was once David Garrick’s house. If he saw the furnishing of the room with the Tiepolo ceiling today he would be shocked: upholstered but utilitarian metal framed chairs, such as might be found in a conference room, round a table of no apparent merit. It was once a delightful room for private parties - but no longer seems very appealing. Equally, the large bar area does not look as though it belong in an upmarket hotel.

North West London has few hotels of any quality: what a pity that this one is let down by the bar/restaurant service and the décor of some of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank yraveller1
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your review and I was very sorry that you have not been contacted by the Food & Beverage Manager here at the hotel, please contact me directly and I will be delighted to discuss further with you the issues you encountered.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We arrived at Hendon Hall after enduring a 2 hour drive from Heathrow only to find its facade under construction. Instead of the Hall - a picture of the Hall greeted us -- hung over the scaffolding. We didn't think things could get worse until we were taken to our room 202- nice enough except for hard white plastic panels over all three windows. Very creepy & repulsive. When we asked to be moved, management told us the hotel was fully booked and there were no rooms left other than those under the plastic pictorial faux front. Incredible- we booked the room months ago & no warning then that the building was under reconstruction. Horrible way to begin our London trip!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Birgit T

Thank you for your recent review and I was sorry to read of your disappointment when you arrived at the hotel and our entrance was changed with a digital picture of the original entrance. Unfortunately we are having to carry out major repair work on the top of the Portico and to ensure complete safety scaffolding was erected, the picture was installed to hide the rather unsightly scaffolding.

The room that you were allocated is on the front of the building and with the scaffolding outside I felt it prudent to cover the glass to ensure full privacy and also that the scaffolding was not part of your view, I am extremely sorry that we did not explain this fully on arrival.

I do hope this did not ruin the rest of your trip and I hope that we can welcome you back to Hendon Hall Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August for 11 nights., because family members had a flat near by. Our Executive room was well situated in te back overlooking the garden. It was a nice size and had ample space to unpack and store our clothes. The bathroom was small, but there was a nice tub and shower. Very clean. The breakfasts were excellent. Get a plan where they are included in the price of the room. Other meals (including bar menu) were good, but expensive. You can eat in the garden. Service in the restaurant needs improvement, but the servers were very nice. It takes about 30 minutes on the Underground to get to the center of tourist London. The hotel provides a car and driver to take you to the Hendon Central tube station. You can also get a minicab for £4-£5 each way. There are some good ethnic restaurants in the neighborhood. The RAF museum is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel, but well worth a visit. Compared to hotels located in the center of London this is an excellent bargain and is extremely good value for money.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel overlooking the garden. No pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your review that I have read, I was pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable and the food good quality, the staff are all friendly, we are carrying out ongoing staff training, so hopefully on your next visit you will see an improvement. I hope we can welcome you back soon. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for the August Bank Holiday weekend. Check-in was efficient and the reception staff are welcoming. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well equipped. The beds are comfortable and the air conditioning works well. There is far too little sugar and milk in the tea/coffee facilities, unless of course you don't take sugar or milk in your drink. The first night we received a turn-down service, but this didn't happen on the second night, we aren't sure why so the service can be a little inconsistent. The breakfast was nice, the full english platter offers black pudding but don't expect to receive it as it didn't arrive on our plates on either of the two days we stayed there. The menus in the restaurant are a bit grubby with peoples breakfast stains on them. Overall though, the breakfast was good and there was plenty of choice. Would I stay there again, yes, overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your review with regards to your recent stay here at the hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay but a number of small inconstancies let us down. The turn down service is every day, so this should happen, with regards to the amount we place in the tea and coffee making facilities we do try to ensure there is sufficient and will of course add extra if it is required. The breakfast is such an important meal and I am sorry that there was no black pudding during your stay. Thank you for your comments it is always so important to receive them and I can assure you that we do act upon them. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager