“Great way to visit London”
Review of Hendon Hall Hotel

Hendon Hall Hotel
Ranked #434 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great way to visit London”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Having driven down the M1 we wanted somewhere to stay for an easy, stress free journey into the city, we didn't want to pay extra car parking fees at a city centre hotel. We have stayed at Hand Picked Hotels before and had great value for money, Ist class staff and a brilliant experience. Hendon Hall was no exception. We were delighted we spotted Hendon Hall on the HPH website. The access from the M1/A1 took just minutes and we were immediately made to feel very welcome. Rooms were of a very high standard and the food we ate top quality - nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the offer for our two night stay was very reasonable. The hotel provide a shuttle to the local tube station and after a visit to the theatre in London we were able to get home at night safely and fairly quickly. A taxi to the hotel ( Taxi firm opposite Hendon tube station) for just £4. If driving to London this was a great option, Ist class hotel and overall provided a great Easter break. Thank you to Hendon Hall staff and Hand Picked Hotels.

2 Thank Bow021
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
I was very pleased to read your review of the hotel and I have shared your comment with my team here in the hotel, it is always pleasing to hear from customers that the welcome was friendly and you found the food to be of a good quality. The hotel is in such a great location, literally a few minutes of junction 2 of the M1 however still in a quiet area. The shuttle service is proving to be a great success and I am pleased that you were able to avail of the service. I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We decided to take a few days in London and to take in the RAF Hendon Museum and the O2 Arena, we chose the Hendon Hall Hotel as it was part of the Hand Picked Chain, its location was a major influence on the choice been good to drive to ( 200 m of the A1 ) yet away from the hustle and bustle of central London. On arrival we were politely welcomed to the hotel and check in was simple as the paperwork had already been prepared, our room was perfect, spacous and very clean. On the first night we ate in the bar area and the haddock and chips were very good, on the second night we chose al l carte in the restaurant area, again the food was just devine and worth every penny.

All of the staff that we met during the visit were very efficient and very friendly, a crediit to the hotel.

My only issue was the bed but I am very fussy so this is not a bad point, just my old aching back

We will be going back to the hotel later this year and I would reccomend this hotel if you like peace and quiet.

Andy

Room Tip: 207, just perfect
1 Thank Andy S
I was delighted to read your comments and pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and the staff friendly and welcoming. The location of the hotel is great, very close to some many attractions and the main roads, however still in a quiet area. I am pleased that you are returning latter in the year, I do hope that I will have the opportunity to meet with you personally. Kind regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager
Malta
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions since it is close to our daughters Uni (Middlesex University). The rooms are large and comfortable, staff very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is great (buffet + cooked to order). Parking is excellent and there are easy links to the North and also into central London.

If you need a hotel in this area I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 301 is a large corner exective room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank drugal
Thank you for your recent review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the breakfast, so important to get off to a good start to the day. The location of the hotel is one that we are very proud of and ideal for the university. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We booked here for a treat and as it has a car park. The reception staff on arrival were very good and after showing us round and to the lift even phoned our room after 5 minutes to see if we liked it. Our room 211, overlooked the garden and was spacious and comfortable. The en suite was a bit dated in decor and only limited toiletries for 2 people. There were magazines in the room which was a nice touch . I nearly jumped out of my skin when the person next door turned his shower on. It was so noisy.
We ate in the Garrick dining room and as we hadn't booked were told we would have to wait but after about 10 minutes we were shown to our table. The restaurant wasn't busy so i don't know why we had to wait. We chose from the 'market menu' at £23 per head. We were given a complimentary mushroom and garlic soup with warm bread rolls which was delicious. We both had Telmara Farm duck breast, comfit leg, carrot puree & fondant potato. We asked for the duck to be cooked through and it was almost pink and very tasty. For pudding we both had rhubarb & pistachio tart, ginger cream and rhubarb sorbet. Our Russian waitress Sveta was extremely good. polite and efficient and service with a smile.
Our super king size bed was very comfortable and although I slept well my husband was woken by noisy guests and doors slamming in the corridor at 3am.. The next morning we were woken early by the noisy plumbing above us and next door. Something that urgently needs addressing for a 4 star hotel.
Breakfast was good with plenty of hot and cold choice although the jug of orange juice was empty there was grapefruit. The staff again were all energetic, friendly and attentive.
The downside was the dining room itself which was badly in need of a coat of paint, splash marks on the wall in the bay window, cleaning cloths and spray left on a stool by the entrance and no curtains. The wavy carpet is a matter of taste but not mine. It made me feel sea sick. Also when we checked out at 9am there was only one girl on duty and about 6 people all checking out which almost made us late for an appointment. All in all this is a lovely building with excellent staff but the decor is shabby and dated in places.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I was very pleased to read that you found the room very comfortable and had an enjoyable meal in the restaurant with great service; I have passed your comments on to Sveta who consistently provides service with a smile. The noise from the shower next door is certainly not great, especially at 3am and I am extremely sorry, we do have sound proofing between each room however we are looking at how we can improve it in this area of the hotel. I am pleased to say we have redecorated the restaurant recently, although the carpet is still here, not to everyone’s taste. Thank you for your comments and I do hope that we will welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2012

weekend break at Hendon Hall was all that we hoped for and more.
Stayed in room 310 for 2 nights lovely room, well furnished comfy bed and nice en suite. The staff were all pleasant and welcoming.
Loads of choice for breakfast cooked to order.
lots of parking.
Nice terrace to sit outside and have a drink.
goood dinner in restaurant attentive service but not over the top.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank downesdownes
Thank you for your review of the hotel, I was delighted to read that we made you feel at home and that you found the staff to be helpful and of course a great location. Many thanks for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager
gloucestershire
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Easy to find and loads of parking available. Friendly efficient check-in; lovely old fashioned room - ours had huge floor to ceiling windows and plenty of space. The bathroom was generous and had nice amenities. Restaurant was good with excellent choice and the bar was welcoming and relaxed. I can't put my finger on exactly why I felt so at home at this hotel, but it was probably a combination of the relaxed style, helpful staff, great nights sleep and a bit of quirkiness.
Looking forward to staying again if we have any more events to attend at Alexandra Palace which was a short taxi trip away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank leolaura
chester
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My partner and i has booked to do something outside London on a Saturday morning so decided that rather than travel all the wat there on a Saturday morning, we would stay over on the Friday night. We chose Hendon Hall as it was cole to the location we needed to be in - and is a hand picked hotel which has never failed to please us.

We arrived fairly late on the Friday evening (about 8pm). Check in went very smooth - i dont think i have ever spotted a fault with Hand Picked reception staff. I cant remember the name of the lady who checked us in (began with an O??) - but anyway - she was lovely - and upgraded us to an exec room as we are gold members at no extra cost.

The room (207) was faultless. This is obviously an old building so it must be a challenge to keep the historic nature whilst trying to fit in some modern luxury. Well Hendo seem to have done this to a very high standard. 207 is a lovely room - plenty of space with a massive comfy 4 poster. What a treat. If i am being really really picky....... no bottled water in teh room (but its hardly a deal breaker - just that other places to have it).

We had booked the break on an advantage dinner bed and breakfast rate to include canopes and a glass of bubbles. Usually with thisngs like this, you arrive at the bar / restaurant and have to explain what deal you are on before you get some service..... Not so with hand picked - told them our name and hey presto - they were expecting us and the bubbles arrived within about one minute. As we were on an inclusive rate, dinner was from the market menu - or we could have upgdraded to dished on the ALC for a small supliment. Ne need - the menu was well balanced with decent choice for both of us. I am going to be really picky again here - we wanted a bottle of wine that they served in the bar by the glass - but were told they dont sell it by the bottle but by the glass only. This is a bit silly - and seems a way of getting you to spend more money.... I like having a bottle in an ice bucket by the side of my table - rather than having to order individual glasses - but hey ho - we ordered another bottle.

All in all the food and service were great. If you read some of my other hand picked reviews you will start to see a theme - its all about graet service, great food and a lovely venue - Hendon delivered on all of the above.

I really want to find more fault so that readers can take an objective view - but i cant so i will leave it just as we left the hotel...... having had another lovely hand picked expirience..

Room Tip: 207 - lovely
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank danweigh
Thank you for your review of the hotel and the positive comments that you made about both the service and the product. There were a number of small issues that you did highlight and I have addressed these with the relevant management team for example bottled water in the room is a standard and you certainly can purchase the wine by the bottle, clearly a mistake on our part, so I am sorry that we feel short. I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Regards Matthew Moffatt General Manager