“Interesting venue”

Hendon Hall Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Interesting venue”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed at the Hendon Hall for one night. The views of the hotel on the website are of a certain aspect, whilst it is correct there are also additional buildings which have been added onto at various stages over the years. The hotel is in a residential area and provides a different style of hotel to what is normally found in the area. The car park is quite big, although it could do with a bit of a refresh or relaying. The staff at the hotel were very attentive and helpful and the room was a nice size with a nice view over the garden. Some areas of the hotel
could do with a level of updating/ refurbishment (the bar area for instance). Overall the hotel is individual and something a bit different, especially in this area of London.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Arnage_T
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you for your review of the hotel and positive comments and it was pleasing to read that all the staff were attentive. I accept your comments with regards to the bar and some of the furniture this is an area that we will be working on in the near future. Regards Matthew Moffatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had read the reviews on here before I visited and was a bit unsure what I was letting myself in for ... but I found the young lady on reception exceptionally helpful and efficient which was a good start. She didn't just wave in the vague direction of the lift, she actually showed me the way, that's good (and rare). My room was clean and quite well equipped.
The turn down service surprised me when I got back to my room but in a positive way. Quite sweet in fact. I slept supremely well so that recommends the bed.
The breakfast was average - my colleague had eggs so hard boiled you could have used them at Wimbledon.
All in all, I thought it was fine and my experience didn't match with all the negative reviews I'd read beforehand. So live a little, give it a try.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank BeerBadger
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you very much for your positive comments, I was delighted to read that the Reception team made you feel welcome and you were pleasantly surprised by our turndown service. The comment with regards to the hard boiled egg I have passed on to my Head Chef, he was embarrassed to hear and offers his apologies. Thank you again for your positive feedback for the hotel. Regards Matthew Moffatt
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Hendon Hall is nothing like it is portrayed to be on their website. It's soulless, has a scruffy, dull and overpriced bar, and a dining room with no atmosphere. There were dirty glasses left in the bar for hours and there were trays of food left in the corridors overnight.

The room was dusty and the bathroom was not as clean as it should be. I was woken at 5am with my bill being pushed under my door. Not impressed!

The surrounding area is unpleasant - next to the fantastic pictures of the entrance is a huge block of ugly flats.

I really feel for anyone booking a romantic break here, or in fact any break - you would be so disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, I was extremely sorry to read your comments with regards to the cleanliness of the bedrooms and the disturbance so early in the morning. These are inexcusable and I can assure you that appropriate action has been taken. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your comments, my email is mmoffatt@handpicked.co.uk. Regards Matthew Moffatt
basel
Reviewed June 28, 2011

After reading some of the comments on T.A. I was pretty nervous about staying at the Hendon Hall. Having stayed there for a 1 night stopover, including dinner, I have to say I'm amazed at what some people put in their reviews. For a start it is a fantastic old building.. of course it's not in acres of it's own grounds.. it's in Hendon.. not rural Hertfordshire.. what do you expect ? Secondly.. it's a fantastic old building.. so of course some of the door frames have taken a few knocks.. so what ? Thirdly, it's in Hendon (the clue is in the name of the hotel) so don't go there if you're expecting to walk out of the door and into the West End. On top of that, I was lucky enough to stay in one of the suites which was seriously one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in.. massive..tidy and clean...well decorated.. lovely big bed.. and fab chandelier... all at more than a quarter of the price such a room would cost nearer to a city center. Add to that a very good dinner in terms of food and price (OK, the musak was a bit annoying.. but that's unfortunately everywhere), free parking, free wifi and very pleasant staff... and the whole thing, for me anyway, adds up to a great option in a part of town where there are few realistic alternatives.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank swissraffers
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your positive comments with regards to your recent stay here at the hotel, I was delighted to see your feedback on the price and quality of our food and also your honest comments about our unique location. Many thanks; I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel personally in the near future. Regards Matthew Moffatt
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed two nights in this hotel. The first night we arrived late, didn't use any of the facilities and went to bed. We had noticed that the cushions, usually on the bed were on the floor. That should have made us suspicious. The bed was comfortable and it was quiet enough and we slept fairly well.
On waking, I noticed that the bed linen was stained. I don't doubt it had been laundered but it should not have put back on the bed like that and that was exactly what happened. It was put on the bed again the following day. The room was generally dusty and the bathroom showed evidence of not having been cleaned properly for some time with dust quite thick on the back of the door and other ledges. There was a stain on the bath under the taps and the toilet was marked and needed a good bleaching. The bath was poorly fitted and the shower over the bath leaked through the seals and onto the floor causing a puddle to form beside the toilet.
Although the public areas were quite nice the accommodation levels were perhaps cleaned to some extent but without much attention to detail with finger marks left on doors, walls and paintwork giving the whole place a sticky and unclean appearance.
Table service was good on the first morning but at best muddled on the second morning.
The eggs benedict was, I'm assured, very nice but the selection for the buffet breakfast was poor.
This hotel is over-rated and over-priced for the lack of service and low standard of cleanliness. It is more like a failing three star hotel living on it's long past connection with the 1966 English football team. It is time that the company recognised the need to bring it up to standard and into the new century.
I would not recommend it and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cthompson322
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for the review, I do hope the email that I sent to you has gone some way to resolving the issues that you have raised, please do contact me directly via my email address mmoffatt@handpicked.co.uk if I can be of any further assistance. Regards Matthew Moffatt
London
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I took the full afternoon tea at this hotel. Unfortunately my tea came replete with flies on the lemon cake - yuck! I would give the restaurant a huge swerve!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bargainsgalorecat
MMoffatt, Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments in person and regain your confidence in Hendon Hall Hotel. I can be contacted on mmoffatt@handpicked.co.uk. Alternatively, if you prefer to contact our Customer Services department, please email customerservices@handpicked.co.uk. Regards Matthew Moffatt
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Stayed for two nights, staff very friendly and had no problem changing rooms due very soft bed in first room. Generally clean but most doors seemed to have been missed as lots finger marks. Breakfasts good but wife's poached egg first morning was hard, second morning both our easy over fried eggs were like rubber! Will be staying again.

• Stayed June 2011