“A Gem of Old World Charm and Splendor”
Review of Hazlitt's

Hazlitt's
Ranked #222 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Hazlitt's promised a "trip back in time" and I was not dissapointed! We arrived via taxi at the unassuming entrance, and were promptly buzzed in and our luggage collected. Our arrival was quite early after our overseas flight, but the staff rallied and prepared our rooms well before check-in time. The period bath is authentically restored, and deluxe rooms have authentic antique "rain" showers. Other rooms have old-fashioned "telephone handle" showers, which are quaint, but not as convenient. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the room spotlessly clean, and the entire property remarkably quiet for something so close to Old Compton Street. Because of the way the original 3 houses are connected, I rarely even saw any other guests, even though it was high season. I also never saw a chamber maid or heard a vacuum cleaner, although my room was made spotless each morning while I went down the street for coffee. The location can't be beat for theatregoers, foodies, even Soho clubbers. Elegant, antique, and refined- a truly unique experience I hope to repeat again soon! Don't stay here if your idea of a "nice" hotel is the Marriott- you'll miss the plastic coffeemaker and intrusive housekeepers!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank ggrant008

Reviewed July 15, 2008

I see a reviewer had some gripes (including VAT not being included and no receipt being given for payment). Such gripes suggest the reviewer rarely gets out - it's easy to ask if VAT is included and take this into account when booking (or not booking). And if asking for a receipt I am sure one is usually offered!
Our stay was wonderful. We were advised some work was going on with the redecoration and as a result prices were slightly reduced (though not much, to be honest). We barely noticed anything was going on, but appreciated the warning. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or attentive, the room was beautifully furnished and provided a 'home from home' atmosphere (if somewhat grander than my home...). Breakfast in bed was a lovely treat and our bathroom was very well appointed.
Any fears we had about noise from Soho were dismissed instantly. Triple glazing meant there was barely a sound. A great night but I can see not everyone would love it - especially those who prefer more of an obviously tourist or business class hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liberaceLondon
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I had to go to London on business and my publisher booked my husband and I into Hazlitts. I read previous reviews so I was prepared that Hazlitts would be a unique and unusual experience. The room was cozy and full of antiques and character. The bathroom had a huge tub and a hand held shower but it was large and made me feel I was back in time- the water was hot and plentiful and because we were prepared that the hotel was period and authentic we were happy. This is NOT a chain hotel. The location is wonderful- great restaurants just steps away. There is a 24 hours manned desk and they got us everything from a car and driver to see Stonehenge to Theater tickets for wicked at the times and seats we wanted.
We ordered continental breakfast and it arrived promptly - everything was hot and fresh.
Staying there made our London experience amazing.
The main thing about Hazlitts is the location and the absolutely excellent attitude of the staff. Each person who manned the desk was attentive, polite and friendly. I would definitely stay there again.
Patricia Wood author
Hawaii, USA

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank patwoodauthor
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Just back from a theatre trip in London to see God's of Carnage - which was incidentally, great! Biggest gripe was that Hazlitts is NOT good value for money.
Disappointed , very overpriced for what was offered ( The online prices do NOT include VAT which seems unusual) didn't get a receipt for payment either. There were no drink making facilities in the rooms. You have to order tea and coffee - annoying. Bathrooms a bit 'Heath-Robinson' almost DIY - taps on the bath not straight for instance! Bath robes supplied but no face cloths, nowhere to put soap on roll-top baths. When I'm paying £200 for a night's stay I would expect these things to be thought of and included. Won't be staying again, Sorry Hazlitts!

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank Jillmk
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Hazlitt's for 3 nights during the Easter weekend. We used the John Bateson room. This overlooked busy Frith Street but the room was nonetheless quiet and relaxing. The bed was very comfortable and the decor properly reflected the Georgian archtecture and panelling. Although there were clearly other guests, the hotel was very quiet and unhurried. There is no bar or restaurant but with the plethora of options literally on the doorstep, this is of no consequance. The staff were charming and helpful. The hotel location is excellent particularly if you want to be on hand for Soho/Theatreland/Chinatown and the West End generally. Access to Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square Tube stations is very good.
We would definitely stay at Hazlitts again - also...check out "Arbutus" restaurant directly across the street from the hotel door; it's excellent.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Stayed here for two nights, and generally pleased with the experience. A few issues though, I agree with one of the previous reviewers, get another room other than Thomas Archer in the basement. Small & cosy is ok, but very, very dark even on a sunny day. Bed very comfy, furniture authentic and interesting, LCD TV not antique! The bathroom is quaint, it does have a big brass shower-head contrary to what the previous reviwer said, and the bath is a bit slow to run, but are you really in that much of a hurry? Breakfast in bed is a treat, what's wrong with lounging on the bed enjoying it? A great location, & one benefit of a basement room is you don't hear Soho being "alive" all night. A stone's throw from fantastic restaurants and cafes (Bar Italia is a must), and 10-15 mins walk from Oxford Street, Covent Garden and Theatreland. The staff were very friendly & welcoming. This hotel doesn't really pretend to be something it isn't if you read it's website properly, their photos of it maybe do make it appear more luxurious than it perhaps is (the other rooms may well be), but I'd still return there. A wee bit over-priced I feel, but then I am a Scot! Oh, and their own website is offering discounted deals from December because of construction work, well, it started while we were there and the builders on scaffolding above our room started very early in the morning, not explained to us and not discounted on the final bill. Overall a lovely experience in many ways, but maybe not as wonderful as the website we booked it though made out. These places are what you make of them aren't they? If you want glitz and glamour and power-showers, do your research and book a chain hotel!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Trixie1967
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We stayed for two nights in the Marmaduke Wyvill room which has a lovely four poster bed and a very nice bathroom.

We were greeted on arrival with tea and biscuits which was a lovely treat and very welcome. Included in the price were tube travel cards for both days of our stay which was much appreciated and a nice surprise.

A complimentary bottle of champagne was left for us in the mini bar which was another super surprise!

The hotel is right in the centre of Soho with restaurants and bars within steps of the hotel - although you wouldn't know it when you're tucked up in bed (no street noise was heard).

The nearest tube stations are Tottenham Court Road (5 mins walk) and Leicester Square (10 mins walk) - very convenient.

We really enjoyed our stay and next time we're in London we will definitely be trying to get a room at Hazlitt's.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple