“Staying at Hazlitt's was a wonderful treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hazlitt's

Hazlitt's
Ranked #162 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Wakefield
“Staying at Hazlitt's was a wonderful treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My telephone booking was made accurately and efficiently by a friendly staff member. The location of the hotel in Soho could not be more perfect if you are planning on an evening in the west end. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from Leicester Square and Tottenham Court Road tube stations. The frontage of the hotel looks modest, and to access you press a buzzer (the reception is staffed 24 hours). The reception staff were absolutely delightful, very helpful and friendly. We were able to leave our luggage before check in so that we could explore without our heavy bags. When we arrived back in the evening the bags were in the room waiting for us.

We stayed in the prussian resident room which is at the front of the hotel. It was large and exquisitely decorated. The furnishings and surroundings are beautiful in a tasteful traditional english style. My 4 year old daughter was enchanted by the room and in particular the four poster bed.

The street is home to some lively bars and while there was a little noise as the customers chatted on the street, it was actually quite pleasant to feel the atmosphere of the area.

Do bear in mind that this hotel does not have a lift, and also no restaurant. There is a massive variety of cafes and restaurants nearby though. We brought takeout to our room (great fun).

Won't be able to afford to visit this hotel again but it was a lovely experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Logan_karen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband booked a two night stay at Hazlitt's to celebrate my 40th birthday. Positioned perfectly in Soho, it was ideal to go out for dinner and drinks. Our room, James Bateman, was on the first floor facing the street. Others have said not to stay on the front, but actually it wasn't that bad. The bar opposite wasn't that noisy at all, even for a weekend. The noise which I didn't appreciate was the empty bottles being collected at 6am on a Sunday morning! Overall, fantastic weekend, can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2012
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I know lodging in London is expensive and maybe there's nothing comparable in Soho, but I have never paid so much money in my life for a hotel. I was very disappointed. I arrived soaked from a driving rain about 1 PM. I was told I couldn't get into my room until 3 PM. I was put in a tiny parlor to wait. Like a fool I ordered a sandwich which arrived 45 minutes later. I had to pull an easy chair up to a coffee table to eat.
At exactly 3 PM I was ushered up to my room. A handsome four poster bed dominated the small room. There were two straight back chairs. The three lights in the room were too dim. I was told that the electrical system could not handle brighter bulbs. During the day I sat on a very narrow window "seat" to read and write by daylight. The bathroom was brighter. I actually moved a chair in there one night so I could see to read. The shower dribbled water and the toilet did not flush fully. Except for requiring me to wait two hour in soaked clothes, the staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was clean.
The hotel is 18th century. The rooms are not numbered but are named after "famous" people who stayed in them. The impression I got was that the place had been coasting on an old reputation for a long time. I suspect there are people with a lot of money who like this sort of stay in the past.
I wanted to be in Soho to be close to the theaters. It was nice to be able to walk home in the evening after a show.

Room Tip: Do not arrive before 3 PM. Do not order food. Bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank LittleRaven
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Spent our wedding night here in October after celebrating our wedding reception at the Union Club around the corner. Hazlitts was a lovely house of calm, full of character away from the hustle and bustle of Soho. Perfect end to our wedding day. The night porter was really friendly, congratulating us and giving us the whistle-stop version of the history of Mr William Hazlitt. Our room was comfortable with a lovely roll top bath in the bathroom. Room service was excellent - the celebrating (bucks fizz) or recuperating (bloody Mary) additions to the breakfast options are a nice touch. Would recommend this hotel to travellers and Londoners alike.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia_EB
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went here for the first part of my honeymoon. We chose this hotel because A) Anthony Bourdain and JK Rowling stay there and B) we wanted to go someplace that looked like England. Not the Holiday Inn in England.
I was not disappointed - from the location (which is right in the heart of the theatre district), to the exterior (which made me feel like I was in a period movie), to the room and interior decor, it was perfect!
The service was amazing, very personable. They knew our names by the second day (we were there for 5 nights). Stayed in the Madam Kennedy room, and loved the quirkiness of it. If you like brand new fixtures and straight lines this is not the hotel for you. If you love history, and charm and individuality, this is your place. Highly, Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I liked the place, great location plus I prefer old-fashioned hotels with atmosphere. The deal was good, too. The only two minor drawbacks were lack of shower (I love bathtub but with no curtains, showering in the bath is not perfect) and thin ceilings (especially with a very young couple in the room above me...). But I would come again, I really liked it!

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Visited Hazlitt's mid-October for a birthday treat and stayed in the Duke of Monmouth suite. We arrived early (about 1.30pm), hoping to drop off our bags in our room before we headed off for the day but unfortunately the room wasn't ready. The staff were more than helpful to look after our bags, and offer us a place to change and freshen up. After a long day out and about in London we couldn't wait to get in the room and catch 40 winks, so luckily the night porter gave us a quick tour of the suite and left us to it. The room itself was lovely, and definitely lives up to the pictures. Having read a few reviews beforehand I was skeptical about the noise but we were placed on the top floor at the back of the hotel so not a peep was heard! The bed itself was incredibly comfy (if not a bit high - you have to literally jump in), and the linen was top notch. As we were only there for one night we didn't get much use out of the roof terrace or the living room but both were generously sized and of a high standard. The bathroom is on the top floor of the suite and very clean, with more than enough towels/shower gel/shampoo etc. Our favorite part of the room was of course the amazing in-bedroom bath with the phoenix taps and Ren bath oil. In the morning we were awoken to freshly made bacon sandwiches, porridge, orange juice and hot chocolate. The breakfast set us up perfectly for the day to come, and I would recommend a stay at Hazlitt's to anyone looking to treat their someone special.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple