Durrants Hotel
Good 3.5/5
  • Room Service
Home House(London)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsmarylebone high streetwallace collectionmanchester squareold english charmmarylebone areaenglish hoteltraditional hotelno tea coffee making facilitiescharming hotelbond streetwest endonly stayed one nightthird floorsingle roomlondon hotelfull englishsmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here on Christmas Day and were disappointed with the quality of the food and the service.

The food was definitely below standard, tasteless and some dishes were cold. It wasn't food you'd expect from central London nice hotel.

The waiters were inattentive and unprofessional eg the canapés were dumped on our table before our drinks order had been taken and some had fallen over, and we had to ask for our bill three times etc. The managers were polite and welcoming but seemed a little out of their depth (probably because of useless staff).

All in all it was very disappointing. Such a shame as the hotel is so beautiful and the ideal location for Christmas lunch. If the food and service improved we would go back.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank sandra r
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I only stayed one night on business but there was something missing here. My room was quite querky - with a single bed, and it was clean. Its a bit of a warren of rooms but I guess poeple might like that. The big thing for this hotel was its location. Its in the right place. I would go back there but next time would book a double room.

Room Tip: a double room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Choose this hotel as it looked comfortable and relaxing but my experience was very far from it. I arrived at the room to be confronted with drilling, banging and sawing.....right outside my room. I can appreciate if some maintenance needs to be carried out, but this was full blown refurbishment. This carried on until around 5pm. it then WOKE me up at 8am the following morning, I complained but it continued, forcing me out of my room and to leave. I was so angry I spared the receptionist a volley of complaints, the fact she never even asked me how my stay was saved her.
I paid £200 for this experience, I couldn't even sit at my desk to do some work which was the reason I stayed here. I also was quite shocked with the condition of the room, at this price I expect at least a properly made bed with sheets that aren't stained. I would of let this all slip, and the fact that the room felt very cramped, the fixtures and fittings were tired and old (wallpaper, furniture, bathroom), but the noise, and the fact I was not made aware at any stage during booking or upon arrival. I have stayed in hotels all around the world with varying standards and not one has driven me to make a negative review of this nature. I could go on but imagine fellow travellers will have more than got the picture as
to what "some" people can expect when staying at this establishment.
Can I think of a positive? looked nice from the outside, shame that wasn't reflected on the inside.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mrglobaltrotter
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times now.

We were shown a room with a window a foot from a brick wall - no natural light and basically a box room.We were then shown a couple of other rooms - one even smaller than the first and the second bigger with good natural light . The room also came with an overpowering smell of moth balls and a 6.30 am alarm call from the delivery lorry that appeared on the Saturday morning below our window.

The staff were indifferent - I asked to speak to the manager but I assume he must have been overcome by the smell of the moth balls as he didn't appear.

The entrance and the public areas give the impression of an upmarket olde world charm but it masks a pretty poor standard of room.

I assume their are decent rooms in the hotel but I have now seen five and none of those were very good.

Avoid !

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank malvernboy13
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had reserved a standard double room. All seem acceptable until I entered the bedroom, which was small, drab & in need of refurbishment. The shower was in a narrow bath without any grab handles, which are needed.
At the time of making the reservation or on check in, no mention was made that there was going to be external maintenance work taking place during my first night. The result was a sleepless night for me. When I discussed this with reception the following morning I found them to be rather disinterested & discovered that the work would probably continue until midnight the second night. When asked to look at alternative room, I was finaly advised by the duty manager that I was better staying where I was!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo