“Depends what the purpose of your trip is...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #532 of 1,089 Hotels in London
london
“Depends what the purpose of your trip is...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you are visiting from outside the UK and happy to pay top end (dont forget this is a 4 star property) prices for a 'charming English property' then this may be the one for you especially given it is virtually on the doorstep of the vibrant Marylebone High Street with all its shopping/ dining options. But if you want a more luxurious experience to recoup whilst you are travelling away from home for some time and need to charge your batteries in a short space of time then this may not be the one for you- particularly as it has the most noisiest waterpipe systems running through your bedroom walls that you might ever imagine. Expect 1 am and next 6 am water drills.

It is unfortunate since when I first stayed here I was in one of the biggest and brightest rooms I have stayed in London with huge windows (yes! they opened too) facing on to George street and this was only a standard room. It almost went on the top 5 London list...then came the water pipe sounds... The second time I stayed it was a room that was 30% of the size. That was the last time...

In its favour though its a great last minute option as there are often rooms available when most of the reasonably priced 5 star options in central are sold out and is then priced around 225 gbp a night. If you get it for less you have done well.

A good practical choice but not so much a holiday feel at least not for Londoners.

Room Tip: Since size of standard rooms is so variable you may want to ask for a larger one depending on your n...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank grinchee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

stayed here last year just before christmas my second visit,,,,,very good hotel ,very courteous staff,very helpful ,excellent accommodation ,,comfortable rooms ,,i only had one small complaint ,,,,,, in the breakfast room I asked for poached egg on toast and was given a piece of toast on the plate the same size as the poached egg !! A circular piece of toast ,!! I thought wheres the rest of the slice of bread ,,I asked for a slice of toast with a poached egg and was a bit perplexed as to where the rest of it was ,,a silly complaint but I wouldnt let that put me off my stay there ....,
As for the facilities ,top class, and right next to Baker st and Oxford st ,,ideal place to see London and west end ,,go and give yourself a treat and stay here where old fashioned values still come tops.

Room Tip: all rooms are good value and the same luxury ,
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was in England to watch the rowing so was staying near Windsor...at the last minute decided to spend a night in London to soak up the olympic experience...not wanting to spend a fortune (after all I only needed somewhere to sleep) I decided to try Durrants despite the mixed reviews. Now I am gob smacked at all the negativity towards this hotel....the location is fabulous, it is full of charm and character. Yes, it does not have air conditioning in every room and yes it does not have tea and coffee facilities in your room...but let's get real....it is a very reasonably priced hotel right near Oxford St/Marble Arch, the staff were knowledgable and attentive, the room full of beautiful antiques, the bed the most comfortable I have ever slept in and James Street nearby is full of restaurants/cafes/pubs/patisseries.....what more do you want??? I can't wait to go back and experience more of this charm.

Room Tip: Room 101 is a twin room with a beautiful sitting room and comfy +++ beds
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynne1955_11
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Durrants Hotel is an absolute gem. For people who are looking for a high quality, traditional very English, independent hotel with bags of charm and character in the heart of London, I would recommend Durrants. It is located a short 5 minute walk from Oxford Street (behind Selfridges) and a few steps from Marylebone High Street which is a must for shopping and eating. Durrants seems to be steeped in history. The ground floor public areas are beautifully maintained with interesting art work, maps and furniture. The bar is small but very atmospheric with a very pleasant barman serving great cocktails.The staff were all helpful and pleasant.
We asked for a quiet room at the back of the hotel, which is what we got. The bedroom was done in a light, contemporary style with a lovely stylish bathroom. Linens, towels and toiletries were all of a high quality. However the size of the room was somewhat dissapointing as we'd paid £290 per night on a room-only rate, I was expecting a more spacious room. It was during the Olympics and as I booked well in advance the room rate was high. When we stayed the hotel, along with most of London, was suprisingly quiet. I am sure the hotel could have offered us a larger room but unfortunately they didnt.
The downside of this hotel, apart from the size of the bedroom is that there was no drink making facilities in the room and also there is a charge to use the wi-fi. They did provide complementary mineral water.
We did not take breakfast in the hotel. There is a multitude of excellent choices in Marylebone High Street. I would strongly recommend Bouchin for breakfast, which is on the corner of George Street and Marylebone High Street.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet as George Street at the front is fairly busy. However these rooms may b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. Firstly, when I rang up for directions, the porter could not direct me to the very place he worked (???). Secondly, breakfast is over-priced and the portions too small. I requested egg on toast. My toast came in neat little circular cutouts which were no bigger than the two eggs which sat on them. And £4.50 for a pot of tea? Come on...
No tea or coffee in the rooms.
No air conditioning in some rooms. And the rooms with no air con have the added bonus of a heated towel rail which you cannot turn off. Just what you need when it's 31 degrees outside. Not. Give them their due, they did move me upon request, however they also sneakily charged me for a tip for the restaurant service. They called it 'optional service'. It was anything but optional seeing as no one asked me if I would like to pay it. There policy is to charge it unless you star otherwise. I have suggested they completely reverse this policy which I deem to be daylight robbery. It may only be £1 or £2 pounds, but that soon stacks up if you rob if from every customer you have.

Room Tip: The hotel advertises use of a gym, however, they don't mention that you have to pay for this.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Durrants is in a great location if you are staying in London for a couple of days. The hotel itself is full of old world charm, I am just sorry we didn't have time to spend in the little bar or the various nooks and crannies.

I joined my wife there who had been staying in a single room for a few days before me, she said it was quite small but adequate. The double room we did get was spacious had recently been refurbished I believe, it was of a high standard and maintained a bespoke quality. I can't speak for the older rooms in the hotel but we enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Room 323 is spacious and recently refurbished
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I booked this for work as it said 5* - it certainly ain't that. This hotel is very dated, some London hotels are dated for a reason as it adds character, I don't think there's much character at this hotel though. They even had massive clunky keys, keys you'd expect to open a cell or a castle door with, slightly annoying that, but could be more of a personal thing. I also couldn't get the window to keep open.

I stayed on the first floor which was close to the bar etc, so noise is potentially an issue, although I was back late so it didn't affect me.

I think I paid almost £200 for this hotel as well, which is very expensive considering what you get.

Another small thing, after a few drinks and when I get to my hotel I like to have a couple of sweets that are usually at reception - they didn't have this, again may be a personal thing that :-D

Generally speaking you can find better hotels for around £200, so I'd shop around before booking this again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business