“Hotel Diplomat - pleasant stay, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Diplomat Hotel

Diplomat Hotel
Ranked #157 of 573 London B&B and Inns
budapest
“Hotel Diplomat - pleasant stay, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

It has been some time that I had been thinking about trying this hotel in Belgravia. I've read previous, not completely positive reviews on the Diplomat, so I had some doubts about my choice. Most of the guests complained about the old building, the tiny lift, run down condition of the rooms, etc. Well, I can tell, that my experience with Diplomat was 100 % positive! The building is really old, but well kept, just one of the typical townhouses of Belgravia, which is one of the best addresses in London. I got the Mayfair room on the 2nd floor. It was large and clean, with very comfortable double bed. The weather was hot in London during my stay and there was no airconditioning in the hotel, but the room was safe to leave the windows open during night, so I had no problem with the heat. Breakfast was plenty, with hot and cold buffet. Service was quick and polite. Reception people were also kind and friendly. All in all, it proved to be a good choice, and I can recommend it for everybody who'd like to stay at a good location, close to Sloane Square and Knightsbridge tube stations, which are just a short walk from the hotel. If you travel from/to Heathrow, location is especially convenient, as you can take the Piccadilly Line direct to Knightsbridge and just walk to the hotel. Victoria (coach and railway station) is not far, either. I'm sure to be back here the next time when in London.

Room Tip: I'd recommend 1st & 2nd floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Espoo, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm just back from London and a three night stay at the Diplomat Hotel. The location is just fantastic, but apart from that the hotel was a disappointment, especially with all the good reviews here on tripadvisor in mind. I found the hotel rather run down, with a pleasent enough staff. The cleaning was just average, with e.g. hair under the complimentary tea cups and in the towels.

The breakfast lacked anything fresh like fruit or tomatoes etc. even though there seem to be some on the photos. Just not during my visit. Plenty of bacon, sausage, eggs and such though.

I was given a room on ground floor, just next to the reception, and was very disturbed by the noice from the lobby. Nighttime I would wake up every time a guest rang the door bell to get in. If you get a better room (=probably any other room), you might sleep ok. If you go during summer months, note that there is no air conditioning, just a small table fan.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on ground floor at all cost
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank tmt33

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked last minute to stay at The Diplomat. I chose it for its proximity to Victoria Station (which is where the Gatwick Express train arrives and departs from). The location as the name suggests is in the diplomatic area, so lots of embassies, expensive cars, and restaurants. The area itself is very quiet, yet walking distance to all the sights. The hotel is aged, yet has some old english charm. The room we stayed in was very large and comfortable (The Mayfair Suite). The staff were all very friendly, and the included breakfast was quite nice. We paid approximately $300 AUD per night for a last minute booking (through booking.com).

Room Tip: Mayfair Suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been staying at the Diplomat on visits to London for the past six years - and what a gem. Its biggest concession to modernity if internet connection in each of its two dozen rooms or so. They are comfortable, clean, with complimentary tea and coffee as well as telephone, trouser press and television. There is also a two-person lift for the upper floors [save the very last one]. It is in Belgravia, one of the poshest parts of London, and the prices by London standards are low. Before staying there i have paid double and treble for far, far inferior hotels. However it is probably the staff and the breakfast that really make the place special. English breakfast is as good as and maybe better than anyone remembers mum cooking. And the multinational staff know only how to smile and be laid back and relax while at the same time making sure their guests are well looked after. If there were a bar, I probably would venture out at night to the delightful pub 5-10 minutes' walk away.

Room Tip: Two singles are quite small but all the rest are fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Epsom, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel at first glance is a bit tired around the edges, but it is over hundred years old. The room I had on the four floors a single was adequate for my needs. There is a desk for working at, hairdryer, trouser press and shower all functional and clean.

The hotel was good value considering the price of others in the vicinity. I slept really well, the bed was clean and the pillows just to my requirements not to hard or soft. My room was cleaned both days and tea/coffee and biscuit were replenished each day.

There are only two draw backs that I see the first being an old style lift which takes two / three people, you have to close both metal doors for it to work. There are two staircases if you prefer. The other drawback is the breakfast room is on the lower ground floor and can only be accessed via stairs so no good if you are unsteady on your feet or in a wheelchair.

The breakfast room is clean a tidy with a nice view into the courtyard. The breakfast was ample with a choice of cereals, toast, and cooked breakfast all buffet style. Papers are available to read should you wish. On my visit the hot food was replenished quickly and the cereals, juice etc kept topped up.

If I were to stay in London again I would choose this hotel again, all staff were pleasant and check in and out was quick and easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first or second floor as these are the easiest to get to and a bit larger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank badgerkr
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I arrived at the Diplomat because another hotel (which I will next review) was 100% unstayable!

I was familiar with the Diplomat location as I've stayed at the 5star hotel up the block. Being in town for one day after nightmarish travel, I only need clean and quiet accommodations.

Had it not been for Daniel at the front desk and for the "book now, pay later with 100% refundable" guarantee, I would have splurged for the next hotel.
I am rating this a 3 because of the friendly manager and location and the room size and it's quiet. By all means, it is not a 3star-Marriott type...

But Daniel checked me in, upgraded me (standard practice I believe from reading other reviews) and was so pleasant, I couldn't walk out the door.

The place is either "charming, prewar," or just "old."

It's a bit of both. Elevator can't hold you AND your luggage, carpets old, rooms had space heaters ( like your Grandmothers house back in the day) also had flat boards for ironing, but the room was big!! And the bed oh-so-comfortable.

The guy came to fix my 1) heat or show me how a space thing works and said, " if any wrong, you tell us, we fix."--- very nice and also telling that ppl often complain.

Daniel the check-in guy came to fix my strangely difficult shower which boats half a panel to keep water in...well, I don't need to state the effectiveness of that. And he did so in his suit and with a smile and apologies.

However, when Daniel was gone and I needed a taxi for dinner, the guy was unhelpful and begrudgingly pointed in a direction at midnight for me to find one.

He also the next morning upon departure wanted a new payment, tho Daniel had completed such the day prior.

This exchange held me up 20 mins heading to my Paris departure. Daniel swooped in and said all was fine and once again, "I'm sorry."

It was very quiet, but that elite neighborhood is always quiet.

I missed breakfast and was confused as the dining area was downstairs from the reception and I missed it completely.

Not sure if I'd stay here again for the money (roughly $150 USD) for one night, when there are other viable options around with more spunk and offer for you money. But it beats the $550 my other hotel listed.

To be clear, the place wasn't dirty, it was old. There's a difference as dirty is unsanitary.

You feel at home due to the old moldings and building. Sort of like an unrenovated bed and breakfast, which is what they should turn this into.

I guess I'd stay here for no more than $85/100 that's all it deserves. And without Daniel, it should be half priced!

But location, location, location. Is super elite.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Should be free. Ask for wash/face clothes, not provided.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Getting to know this hotel was a very pleasant surprise. I booked it at last minute for my weekend in London and still I got a nice room for a hundred euros. The room has a cool bed, clean and fully working shower, not to mention its way bigger than most hotel rooms with the same price range.

The only bed thing I had to mention is the old carpet, think it could be replaced.

It's also very well located, just a 10 minute walk (or less, considering I had to pull my bag around) from/to Victoria Coach and Metro Stations, and another 10 minute walk to Harrods, for those who like to go shopping.

• Stayed April 2013