“Good LondonHotel”
Review of Diplomat Hotel

Diplomat Hotel
Ranked #178 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Good no frills hotel in Belgravia, London. A short walk from Sloane Square. Staff welcoming and friendly. Great cooked breakfast and eat as much as you want. Super quiet rooms even if mine looked a little tired. A great comfortable bed. Recommended.

Room Tip: Any double, plenty of room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was in London, on my own, for an overnight stop so I looked (in advance of my visit), for a reasonable hotel in a good location that did not break the bank. Not easy in London but, with the help of my wife, who knows London far better than I do, we felt that The Diplomat might fit the bill!

Arriving at 13.00, I figured the room might not be ready, but at least I could drop my case and wander out for some lunch. First impression was not good. The reception area had bundles of bedding on the floor, probably waiting for laundry collection, but it shouldn't have been there.

However, frankly, that was my only bad experience. Sure enough the room was not ready, but the very friendly guy on reception told me it was a large room on the ground floor, very close to the reception desk, just past the somewhat antiquated lift. He said he could show it to me, that I could leave my case and my carry-on bag in the room, and it would be ready in half an hour or so.

As I had booked a single room, in a hotel in Belgravia, paying £125 per night including VAT and breakfast, I fully expected a large cupboard. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to be shown into a large, ground floor twin-bedded room, with a large bay window that allowed plenty of light to come in, sporting a couple of arm chairs and a small table, a small flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities, biscuits and a small welcoming box of chocs.

I popped out for a spot of lunch and the room was ready on my return.

The bathroom could best be described as "cosy", but for a guy on his own it was not an issue. Hot and cold water no problem, and the shower was small, but adequate. More than compensated for by the size of the room.

Breakfast the following morning started at 07.30, but if you wanted hot food then you had to wait until 08.00. I can understand that if you are dashing off to a meeting, this is too late, but as I was not due at Heathrow until late afternoon, 08.00 suited me fine.

I did expect a less than average cooked breakfast, but I was again proved wrong. I thought it was great, and there was nothing that was too much trouble for the very nice lady serving it.

Check out was 11.00, which was a tad early for me as I had transport arriving at 14.30 to take me to Heathrow. So I checked out after breakfast, left all my kit there, then went for a stroll round Sloane Square, Kings Road and the surrounds before stopping for a light lunch, then back to the hotel. I was still too early, but was told by the same guy that booked me in, and out, that yes, I could spend some time on the computer, and why didn't I get a coffee at the same time? I explained to the lady serving coffee that I had already checked out and would have to pay cash, but was told this was on the house, as was the chocolate she offered from the "staff" box.

What else can I say? A five minute walk from Sloane Square tube station for this price, with welcoming, smiling staff who just want to do their best for you, despite operating from a hotel that does need more than a bit of an upgrade. For the location and the staff alone, I would return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank EuropeBlueSky
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nice big rooms, clean and friendly staff but non working cold tap and an alarm at 130 in the morning not good. And could not give breakfast until 8am which is poor.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Smallcar
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Good hotel, friendly, stayed in a small single room on the top floor which was ok, complimentry small box of chocolates and biscuits, and good breakfast, staff helpfull, downside was the top floor stank of cigarette smoke to the extent the smell came under the bedroom door so had to place a towel on the inside to stop the smell, considering the location close to Sloane Street it was ok value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John S
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I had a small single room on the ground floor and stayed for three nights. The Diplomat is a tidy and very clean hotel. The reception staff is very friendly and helpful, as is the lady who serves your breakfast. Breakfast starts a bit late (7.30) and I missed it twice because of that, but do go for it if you can: it is very good. Sausages, bacon and scramble eggs are all of very good quality and very hot. There was a very thoughtful pack of praline chocs waiting in my room when I arrived. Perfect location: 15 minutes from Victoria and 10 mins from Sloane Square. It is quiet and I slept exceptionally well. What more can one ask for at this reasonable price?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank TomT55
Reviewed November 29, 2011

For several years that I keep choosing this hotel when I come to London.
Old style residence in Belgravia area.
Always clean.
Nice service from all the staff members.
Correct price for London.
Not far away from Knightsbridge Metro Station.
Free wifi.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank omoura
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hotel is located in a high income district of London, Belgavia. Margaret Thatcher, lives near by and the filming location of the Eaton Place Bellamy home in BBC's great drama series, "Upstairs, Downstairs", is just a block away from the hotel. Our hotel room which was located on the first floor was large, clean and pleasant, but not air conditioned and the en-suite bathroom was a bit small. The shower stall was quite small and would not be adequate for a large individual. This hotel does have a small lift to assist upper room occupants. The breakfast room was also too small to accommodate all of the hotel quests, which usually arrived at 8:00 AM when the hot breakfast items were delivered from an outside caterer. Not too many restaurant or pub locations were noticed nearby, but one restaurant recommendation based on our dinning experience is the Ebury Wine Room located just a five minute walk from the hotel. It served us an excellent dinner at a reasonable price. The nearest tube station is at Victoria Station or Sloane Square, each about a 10 minute walk away from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple