“Disappointing. Satisfaction will depend on what you pay”

The Chelsea Harbour Hotel
Ranked #168 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Had I paid the website rate (£317 incl tax, no breakfast) I think I would have wept. As it was, I had booked through lastminute's secret hotels for £174 - which is still too high IMO but bearable.

Check in was slow - I had to sit and wait while they processed my booking, as did several others - and when I did eventually reach my room, it was a smoking room, complete with ashtray. I immediately went down to Reception to request a non smoking room, but none were 'clean' or available. At 3pm. I was too exhausted by this stage, so resigned myself to a sinus headache and returned. (Ventilation worked but I would not book a hotel again which could not guarantee a non smoking request).

Rooms themselves are fine (though if mine was a refurbed example, I hope they kept the receipt, the design and style is dated and the upholstery needs a good deep clean) - with a small hallway, sitting area with sofa, armchair and desk, tea and coffee making facilities, minibar with fresh milk carton, kettle and a desk/work area.

There are large flatscreen TVs in both the sitting area and the bedroom. There is a good sized bathroom with toilet and bidet in its own compartment, 2 sinks, bath and walk in shower - which was very good.

Initially I was worried about noise - I have never seen so many people either sitting in the corridor (my room was near the lift) or with doors open holding loud conversations with extended families (?) and/or friends. Inside my room and with the bedroom or sitting room doors and TV on it was quiet however.

Aircon in the sitting room was anaemic, fortunately with the window open and with a cool breeze was not a problem.The bedroom window would not open at all but the aircon worked better and would be necessary during a hot spell. Esp as you are under the final approach path to Heathrow and can hear planes loudly every minute or so. (This did not bother me unduly but it is not what I would want for this rate of hotel for a treat or special occasion stay).

Room service food was relatively reasonably priced and there is a 24 hr Lebanese menu which I imagine would be good as it caters to a large Middle Eastern clientele (who presumably don't mind or don't use the hilarious room service charge of £115 for a 700ml bottle of gin; £144 for Grey Goose mind).

The mattress was uneven, one side was noticeably more worn than the other but the pillows and linens were good.

Location wise this is an oddity. Chelsea Harbour is an attempt to redevelop a brownfield site with in my view, mixed results. The hotel is surrounded by upmarket apartments but the landscaping leaves a lot to be desired and it is frustrating for public transport. Imperial Wharf (overground) gets you to West Brompton. The C3 bus is better for Knightsbridge (change of bus) or Earls Court but it is a taxi (or chauffeur) ride to anywhere resembling shops and restaurants - there is a pub on Lots Rd within walking distance and that's about it.

In short there are better places for the money. If the service were superb, or the rooms fabulous I could forgive the location but since these were mediocre at best and the location is difficult especially for a tourist, I could not recommend it and would not stay again. I shall be sticking with some tried and trusteds but do not altogeher regret the experience. The lower rate above was quoted to someone enquiring at reception so maybe the direct approach would be best. And budget for taxis if you are going to stay here and want to go out. Anywhere. It is very cut off from the 'action'.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank parklandwalk
Wyndham_Grand_London, Guest Relations Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We are sorry that you had a less than favourable experience with us. Please note that check-in time is 3pm and whilst we aim to have suites ready for guest arrivals there are exceptions when we experience unexpected late check-outs. We try our best to honour requests for non-smoking suites however unfortunately we cannot guarantee them.
With regards to our refurbishment we have four fantastic new penthouse suites, however please note that your suite was not a newly refurbished suite. We are very sorry for the shortfalls in quality that you mentioned. We very much value your feedback and your comments will be reviewed by the relevant departmental managers.
We are a family friendly hotel, however we ask that all our guests respect other guests staying at the hotel. Please do report any excess noise to the Duty Manager and we can take the appropriate action on your behalf.
Cheslea Harbour’s new train station Imperial Wharf is just one stop from West Brompton from where guests can pick up the underground into Central London. We are also just eight minutes by train to Westfield Shopping Centre.
We hope you have the chance to return to the Wyndham Grand London in the near future so that we may restore your faith in us. As you will see from many reviews below we receive many favourable reviews.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights in June with my husband. This is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful area. The hotel sits along the Thames and a walking path along the riverfront leads to two very cute parks and a couple of restaurants. The staff at the hotel was friendly, the food and room service were good. (Better food down the street at Lots Road Pub) The rooms are very large especially compared to London standards.

So here are the things you should know...
1. Although the location is beautiful it is quite far from the city center. The closest tube station is a £9 taxi ride.
2. In room WiFi is £25 per day...ridiculous for a 5 star hotel.
3. In room air conditioning is insufficient. Lobby air conditioning was fine. It was 18°- 20°C during our stay. I can't imagine how hot the room would be if it was any warmer outside. At night it was cooler outside than in our room but the windows barely opened so we could not get any relief.
4. No gym, although they are constructing one, which leads to number 5.
5. Warning, if you are jet lagged or enjoy sleeping in on vacations...they are currently renovating and there is loud construction noise starting at 8am.

I am choosing "recommend to a friend", but that is only if they don't mind the things I mentioned above.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

First class service. All hotel personnel were extremely attentive to the needs of their guests. All personnel exude their commitment to their customer. The rooms were extremely large in comparison to european standards. The rooms had separate living rooms, extremely large bathrooms and bedrooms. Very luxurious and clean. The location is not in the heart of the city BUT the metro was accessible within a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Very convenient.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Wonderful experience. Everyone was as helpful and friendly as you would hope for in a first class hotel. Beautiful hotel facing a harbor on the Thames. The ONLY downside is the somewhat inconvenient location; it is a bit of a walk to the closest underground station.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is a really luxurious hotel. The suites are big and luxuriously furnished, with lots of little extras that really make a difference. We had a balcony too. Could have spent days inside!

The check in, and most importantly check out, was super-efficient and friendly.

I got an excellent deal on Last minute.com - it worked out cheaper than a regular 4 star closer into the centre. (It was a 'secret rooms' offer as they had building work going on, which did not affect me)

My only gripe: no kettle, just a coffee machine! And as any Brit knows, you need BOILING water to make a decent cup of tea. When I asked about this the guy who brought up our room service said I should heat the water in the coffee pot... Oh dear!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

We are delighted that you enjoyed a luxurious stay at the Wyndham Grand London. Following your comments I am delighted to tell you that we now have kettles in every suite as well as Musetti coffee machines. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can enjoy your stay with a nice cup of tea.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I know it is supposed to be "Location, Location, Location" but this hotel has got Luxury, right in the middle of one of the best locations in London.
I travel extensively for business and this is one of my favorite hotels. The rooms are absolute luxury, I never want to leave.
If you book early enough in advance, the price can be just right too. I plan to go to London with my Wife in the fall and this will be the first hotel I check rates at.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Jimmysull
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed here in May for 2 Nights. There were 3 of us, so we got a twin suite with the sofa bed made up for the 3rd person. Luckily we did not use the room very much because the bed in the lounge area was left up during the day and I did find this a little annoying because it meant we completely lost the use of this room during the day. The service in the hotel was excellent. Location was good but I would prefer to stay a little closer Chelsea itself if visiting again. The bases on the single beds in our room were solid wooden with hard square edges. I whacked my leg off the corner of one while walking past and almost a month later still have a big bruise. These in my opinion are dangerous. This is the second time this has happened to me with these type of bases in hotel rooms. Mattresses have rounded corners that do not cover these edges which are dark brown and not easy to see. Our stay was brief at just two nights. We did not eat in the hotel. Wifi was only available free of charge if using it in the lobby. It is £25 per day in your room. I found this incredible for a 5 star property. I expect it free in my room.
I don't know if I would stay here again, its location while loving overlooking the Marina was a little bit out of the way for us.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends