“Loved it”

Ranked #159 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sheffield, UK
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

From the moment we walked in and was shown to our suite, we knew we were in for a good 4 days. Room very spacious, 2 loos, 2 flat screen tv's, cd player, complimentary water, shoe clean, papers, turn down service with your slippers placed at the side of your bed, tv radio switched on and bedside lights on. Starbucks coffee served. Didn't get a harbour view, but this did not dampen our stay. Ate only once in restaurant but it was very good. Breakfasts were also good with plenty of choice, we even managed to eat outside on the decking on the last day, overlooking the harbour, as the weather was so nice, not bad for late September. They have a very efficient invisible maid service, never saw them once or any sign of them (no trolleys etc) which was a nice touch. Reception staff very welcoming. A pleasant 10 mins stroll took you to the nearest tube station (Fulham Broadway). Ate at the Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant, near the tube station, which is set-up like a rainforest on the inside, nice meal but not outstanding. A cd library would be a good idea for guests. Wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting London.

• Liked — Everything
    • Check in / front desk
Schaefi, Executive Housekeeper at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2008
Dear Mr Chambers

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. I was especially pleased to read your kind remarks about our maid service. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Wyndham Grand London in the New Year.

Delia Maury
Executive Housekeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

I can't stand hotels where you're treated as nothing more than a number, and thankfully that wasn't the case here. I walked in, not dressed for the occasion I must admit. Someone had tripped and spilt coffee down my suit whilst I was actually trying to find this place. Not a problem, said the receptionist, whilst he was checking me in. He said that if I came back shortly with my suit, it would be drycleaned for the next morning, free of charge.

The hotel looked impressive from the outside, in a modern and secure complex. It was just as impressive from the inside. Every detail finished to the Nth degree. My suite (There were no "rooms" in the traditional sense, it's a suite-only hotel) was a marina-view, and was as impressive as it sounds. The only thing I could be disappointed in was myself, for the fact that I didn't go down and have a walk around the marina.

The restaurant was maybe a little OTT, but as a fan of all things extraneous, I was impressed. I was given the option of sitting on the balcony with my meal, which I decided to take. Quite often, I find that staff in restaurants at hotels are too embroiled in coversations between themselves, and are leaving me waiting at the table for my drink or to take my order. This wasn't the case here; the staff seemed to go out of their way to cater for my needs (I have some strict dietary requirements because of my many food allergies).

After my meal, I decided it would be time to get into bed, because I had a busy day ahead the next day. My bed was very comfortable. The only complaint I do have about the room is the poor proximity of power sockets to the bed. I could barely reach my bed with my laptop's power cable. I put my shoes out to be shined (As this service is complimentary).

The next morning, I'd overslept and didn't have time to go for breakfast. The staff at the desk, before checking me out, went to the trouble of arranging a car to take me to my destination.

Certainly a 5 star hotel, but there are maybe one or two niggling things about it which prevent me from choosing "Excellent."

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wyndham_Grand_London, Front Office Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2008
Thank you for your great feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Wyndham Grand London. We pride ourselves on our friendly personal service and we are pleased that you felt welcomed. Our restaurant Aquasia is always happy to accommodate any special requirements and our Chef has designed a range of festive menus to tempt this Christmas. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and then you can take that idyllic walk around Chelsea Harbour that you missed this time round...
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I have stayed in most of the 5 star hotels in London but this one is very nearly the best of the lot. I booked in there for 4 nights last weekend with my wife and 2 kids aged 11 & 12. The 1 room i booked consisted of 1 large bedroom and a huge lounge with double sofa bed, 2 plasmas,2 toilets etc all of a very high standard. The breakfast in the hotel which was included was excellent. Food top class, view over Chelsea harbour fantastic and the service second to none. Some nice touches in the hotel were free internet access a morning newspaper and unlimited amounts of filtered bottled water. The staff too were very very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and cannot fault it in anyway. The only negative is you have to go on a generic website to get a room because there never seems to be availability on the Wyndham website itself.

• Liked — Spotless & very large modern rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed at the Wyndham on a romantic weekend break and attended the last night of the proms. It was a great experience - the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. We had a sunny balcony where we had our own breakfast. It felt like we had hired our own flat for the weekend as opposed to a hotel room.
The breakfast was not included in the room rate and we didn't fancy paying £20 odd quid for breakfast - so we brought our own.
Nice pool and gym facilities and great hand and hair products.

If you are wanting to get public transport - it is a bit out the way to get to - fine if you are driving or getting cabs everywhere.

Very quiet and a real taste of chelsea!

• Liked — The rooms are huge - everything you need
  • Disliked — the cost of the breakfast
Colchester, Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

What a fantastic stay at the Wyndham Grand!
This hotel is absolutely amazing from the first moment we arrived. On arrival the welcome was warm and friendly and the staff were more than helpful.
The door to our room took a bit of mastering but the wait was worth it once we got in! Sofas, 2 flatscreen TV's, a dressing room, 2 balconies, 2 bathrooms, a pile of the newest magazines and a CD sound system. There was a suprise behind every door and in every drawer.
Then there was the bed - deep bouncy pillows, the softest sheets and so wide you could get lost.
Sometimes when you stay in a hotel you can hear other rooms doors banging, people down the corridoors etc but not here - it was so quiet it was like we were the only people staying there.
The little extras were a real treat and we will definately be going back!
Take a walk around the harbour - so nice and peaceful.

• Liked — The entire room
  • Disliked — That we had to leave
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

Great hotel. There were 4 of us - myself, my wife, and my 2 children aged 9 and 6. The rooms was more than adequate and the staff were exceptionally helpful. The staff made up the childrens bed for us. Parking was reasonable especially as we effectively parked for 2 days. The breakfast was £21 per head but the children ate free. I had to ask for more bacon as the portions were small but the additional request was no problem. It was a little on the expensive side but ithe stay was stress free and the room was of a high standard. Getting into central London by taxi was £15-£20 per journey. There is no tube nearby. There is only 1 bar and 1 restaurant but this was not a problem. Does not ahve the hustle and bustle of the central London hotels but a very comfortable stay overall with great facilties.

• Liked — Standard of room and helpfullness
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We must say that, for London, the size of the suites were quite large, however don't go for harbour view coz whilst the boats are really nice to look at, BUT don't look down from the balcony .... because the terrace below has old discarded cigarette butts and weeds all over it, the hotel is also stuck right out of the way at the wrong end of Kings Road, the really nice bars and restaurants around Sloane Square and that end of Kings Road are really out of walking distance because Kings Road must be at least 2-3 miles long! The mini bar also charged £5 for a small packet of biscuits, hence we went hungry until we went out for dinner! Our stay was also overshadowed by the appalling service we received, the water was turned off without any warning, the telephone was disconnected due to engineering works again without warning, the valet parking and concierge was a shambles and we had to wait nearly an hour for our luggage, overall, not what you would expect for a five star establishment, its really bad value for money and I can think of much nicer establishments for the same price or less. We WILL NOT be staying there again.

• Liked — The Size Of The Room Is Larger Than Average For London
  • Disliked — Where Do You Want Me To Start?????
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flossy43
Wyndham_Grand_London, Front Office Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2008
I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay at the Wyndham Grand London. We value customer feedback and we have a dedicated Guest Relations team to address any issues that arise during your stay. Our Marina View Suites offer fabulous views across Chelsea Harbour, and from the River View Suites you can see all the way across the city to Docklands. The roof above the restaurant is regularly cleaned and following your comments our gardener has ensured that the roof is once again spotless. Our waterside location is very popular with guests wanting to escape the noise of the West End. We are just minutes from the King’s Road, which boasts a wide variety of shops that stretch the entire length of this fashionable shopping district. We offer a complimentary shuttle service at weekends that chauffeurs guests straight to the shops in Chelsea.
I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the service and technical difficulties you experienced during your stay, I can assure you that the service you described represents a considerable deviation from our usual high standard of guest care. Had we been informed of your concerns at the time we would have certainly taken steps to ensure that any issues were resolved. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Grand London in the near future so that we may restore your faith in us.